“Bar staff have absolutely no customer service skills”
Review of The Nor Loch Bar - CLOSED

The Nor Loch Bar
Cuisines: British
Neighborhood: Princes Street and Gardens
Description: http://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/nor-loch-bar-edinburgh
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Visited this place while waiting for a train for 1 drink after spending a lovely day out at festival Some of the staff were downright rude I understand this is sometimes a difficult job but that is no reason to not be abit more pleasant too customers. Dear only knows what tourists visiting Scotland think of this dreadful customer service . This is the type of attitude in my opinion that needs to change MANNERS,!!costs nothing

2  Thank winny2106

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Had a pizza here and it is was just what I needed before travel. But not too heavy but delicious thin base. Staff were exceptionally
friendly as was bar manager Liz. Have eaten here before and had their chilli whichbwas alsoexcellent and well presented. Great place and an alternative to fastfood in the station and reasonable prices too.

Reviewed May 16, 2013

Used to pop in here after work regularly and like a lot of other commuters had a good rapport with the staff. Drink prices were reasonable, especially with a Bite discount card... Then the management changed.
After a series of staff sackings (some for not asking if someone wanted crisps or nuts when they'd already ordered a meal!) new staff have been brought in that are little more than robots. Prices have raised through the roof, now on a par with London prices, and the friendly atmosphere gone. The only people who seem to frequent the pub now are those who are looking to tank up before getting another train, riggers heading south and people waiting for the last train home. The atmosphere is aggressive.
Food is sloppily presented and fried to death, the hygiene standards of some of the kitchen staff delivering it to your table leaves a lot to be desired.
My advice would be to drink elsewhere, there are plenty of pubs not far from the station. A shame as it used to be a good wee friendly bar.

2  Thank Ian T
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I am a regular commuter to Edinburgh and before I was due to get my train back home I decided to Stop in The Nor Loch for a quick drink. I was asked for ID straight away which is understandable because I am under 25 but as I was getting my ID out of my purse the barman stopped me and told me that they do not accept provisional licences for ID?? I have never come across this policy before and found it ridiculous. He went on to tell me that the reason they do not accept a provisional licence is because there are so many fakes going about, but never even gave me the chance to get my ID out my purse to have a look! Don't know if it is a real policy or if the barman was having a bad day...

3  Thank MissNK90
Reviewed September 13, 2011

We were in the Princess Street garden's during the festival and looked for somewhere to eat that could provide gluten free food. Waveley Shopping Centre was a complete waste of time, so we went down into the station and found te Nor Loch bar. The menu appeared to offer meals that could be gluten free.

Like most pubs, it is order at the bar using a table number. The staff said it had a been a busy day and some of the dishes were unavailable, specifically the main ones the gluten free diner selected. We selected again and paid. After waiting some time the kitchen indicated that the gluten free alternative was unavailable also, so we re-selected again! The third choice was much cheaper than the one we paid for, and the staff did not volunteer a refund, so we reminded them. It took ages to get the extra back from the bar (the supervisor not being available was the reason).

When the food arrived it was fine - much what you'd expect as standard pub fare - neither outstanding in the culinary arts or classifiable as poor. We could eat here again if in the area.

1  Thank alias_Ned_Flanders