“One to one well worth it!”

James Christie Photography - Edinburgh Photography Tours Limited
Ranked #4 of 216 Tours in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: Established in 2010, Edinburgh Photography Tours is the number one ranked photography tour in Edinburgh, all of Scotland and the number one ranked photography tour in Europe. James Christie is a world renowned and internationally published, professional photographer and he will take you on a four hour walking / photography tour around all the major attractions in Edinburgh's vibrant and famous historic Old Town. Edinburgh Photography Tours Limited were accredited with an "excellent standard" grading by Visit Scotland, Scotland's national tourist board. In addition we have were awarded TripAdvisor's prestigious Certificate Of Excellence for the year 2015, our fourth year in a row winning this award. We are also ranked as number one of all tours in Edinburgh by USA today. James Christie has established himself as one of the leading photographic instructors in the world with plaudits from all over the globe. As a native of Edinburgh, James will provide an historical account of each attraction visited. His goal is to help you get the best from your camera (SLR, DSLR, Bridge, Compact, even your smart-phone) and show you how to compose professional and memorable shots of Edinburgh. If your camera has the ability to shoot in manual mode, James is confident that after this tour, you will never go back to any of the programmable modes ever again. James shows you how to take each photograph and reviews each shot and guarantees that each participant will take home stunning photographs of Edinburgh that can be displayed and enjoyed for many years to come. The tours are aimed at all levels of photographer, from absolute beginner to experienced professional. James does not use confusing jargon, preferring to explain things in a simple to understand manner. James is friendly, patient, polite and encouraging. Edinburgh Photography Tours were established in 2010, the first photography tour of its kind anywhere in the world. We work very hard to ensure our clients have a first class experience on our tours and we continue to strive for excellence every day. The tours start at 10 am daily (Monday - Sunday) and last approximately 4 to 5 hours.The cost of the tour is £75 (with a maximum of 10 participants per tour) or a four-hour private tour can be booked for £500 (Please e-mail James for further details). Please note: Our Tours always go ahead whether we have one person booked or the maximum of ten people. Tours start in front of the National Monument on Calton Hill at the east end of Princes Street, access can be gained from Waterloo Place and you will always be tutored by James Christie.
Reviewed February 28, 2014

I had experienced the group lesson with James so snapped up an offer of a one to one session. James is so friendly and approachable that he immediately put me at ease. After running through the basics, and after a welcome breakfast, we went out into the sunshine and started taking photos in Manual mode! I think the penny has finally dropped re aperture, etc.
I've got serious lens envy after trying James' camera- such fun with filters! We confused people taking photos of humble pansies and street railings- definitely finding my 'photographers eye' again after a few hours with James.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
2  Thank dolphin57

Reviewed February 27, 2014

ISO, AWB, shutter speeds, f stops... Way over my head at 10am, but sure enough, by 2pm it all seemed to make perfect sense. I feel like I have been through a significant initiation into the mysteries of proper photography. And not just in terms of the technical aspects of digital cameras - James also gave us important insights into composition and general awareness. My eyes have been opened...

2  Thank Treeplanter
Reviewed February 27, 2014

I booked the tour as a birthday treat for my husband while we were visiting Edinburgh in January. It proved to be a great experience, my husband had his DSLR and I had an older digital point and shoot. We both learnt a lot about using the manual settings on a DSLR and then looking and moving to get the best viewpoint to make an interesting composition. It was a cold day but well worth the chilly toes to get an informative tour with humorous side notes as an introduction to some of Edinburgh's landmarks.
We're very happy to recommend this tour.

2  Thank Home_and_Beyond
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Having recently purchased my first DSLR camera decided to book on this course to learn the basics. Was a great day. James himself has had a fascinating career and clearly is very passionate about photography. I came away feeling inspired and feeling that I have now gained an understanding into the workings of the camera which I look forward to exploring more.

2  Thank homeward2304
James C, Owner at James Christie Photography - Edinburgh Photography Tours Limited, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Thank you very much for your wonderful Five Star review Claire. It was a pleasure to guide you on our tour. I am very happy that you now have a greater working of your DSLR and that the compositional techniques shown on the tour will help you take better photographs in the future. Again - thank you for your review, we appreciate it very much

Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

A friend booked me on this tour, I wasn't sure what to expect. All I can say is it was one of the best photography tours I have ever been on. This guy knows his stuff! I ended up with some fantastic pictures. You won't be disappointed booking this tour :D

1  Thank 12Andrew34

"All I can say is it was one of the best photography tours I have ever been on. This guy knows his stuff! I ended up with some fantastic pictures." What a wonderful compliment! We truly appreciate you taking to write this fantastic five star review for Edinburgh Photography Tours on TripAdvisor.

Travelers who viewed James Christie Photography - Edinburgh Photography Tours Limited also viewed

Edinburgh, Scotland

Been to James Christie Photography - Edinburgh Photography Tours Limited? Share your experiences!