“Lovely food spoiled by lack of any customer service with a small complaint at their bar on George Street”

Candy Kitchen and Bar
Ranked #797 of 2,460 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: American, Bar, British
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: New Town
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Nice food, good selection of bottled lager but when I questioned their Dalmore 12 year old single malt at the end of the night, my calm complaint was dealt with in a pathetic manner.

After being asked to wait at the bar area for approximately 5 minutes and being passed around by 2 junior managers before speaking with Shift Manager, I was just asked to leave immediately with no offer of a replacement , an apology, refund or any evidence that the staff would do anything about what I was highlighting.

In actual fact and on reflection the manager was very rude and had no intention of listening to my complaint. I find this attitude in this sector especially given the demands on retail and hospitality businesses.

All in all. quite frustrating especially having spent a lot of money in their bar.

To be fair, everyone I spoke to including the door man was very polite so perhaps what I'm describing as bad service was in fact a one off on a bad night!

Customer service is so basic it is sometimes forgotten but if dealt with correctly can be a very positive experience.

Edinburgh
“Good Food!”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

I came here with friends for lunch as we were drawn in by the low-priced (under £5) lunch menu. It took a little while to get our order taken but we didn't mind too much. The only disappointment we had was that the order was taken incorrectly in that our starter and our main came at the same time. We were offered the option to wait a bit longer to rectify the issue, but as we had somewhere else to go we agreed to take it all at once. A challenge, but we managed! I still give this review a four star because the waiter apologized and gave us our drinks for free which we felt was fair. Also, we all really enjoyed our food! I wasn't expecting it to be so good for such a reasonable price, but I thoroughly enjoyed my soup and pasta carbonara. My friends felt the same about there meals too. I wish we had time to stay for a cocktail as well because the menu looked fantastic. I would definitely come back!

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Surprising Treat”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

My girlfriend and I went for lunch here as everything on the menu is under £5 and we were skint at the time...

We sat inside and we were seated quickly and attended to expertly. We ordered some burgers that came in good time and they were lovely. For £5.45 (extra cheese), it was a bargin! OK, it is a strange atmosphere in there as the music doesn't really suit lunch time, more for an evening, but you can get past that as it is just in the background. Some of the decor could be changed but I'm not eating that so it doesn't matter.

I would definately consider this place again as a cheap option.

“Wow!”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Came here for dinner on a relatively quiet Tuesday night, no booking made. Had been a couple of times and was happy with the overall quality of food and service so recommended to a friend that we try it out again! Was seen to and sat quickly when we entered (we hadn't made a booking) and offered drinks etc.

we ordered our food and drinks, both of which took slightly longer than you'd expect to arrive. The drink was a 'summer berry collins' which, as stated in the menu, was topped with soda but this was almost all it tasted of. The food that came was pretty good though, nice and hot!

Once we'd finished our mains we then began to see a problem. The two waiters were now far less busy than previously but still seemed to be completely oblivious as to the fact that we, as well as at least 3 other tables I could see were sitting with empty plates. This went on for almost half an hour in our case. Looking at them they seemed to be cleaning around them, cutting fruit etc - not serving people or even looking around to see if their customers needed anything, which as a waitress myself I know is always my top priority before smaller jobs, especially when it isn't busy.

After some time I eventually got up and asked to order our dessert at the bar and prompted the waiter to clear our table. Yet again waiting slightly longer for the food to arrive but it was again lovely, just hit the spot!

However we then had to wait 15 minutes AGAIN before anyone noticed we had finished, as well as waiting at the bar after for the same amount of time to be seen, in which we were not acknowledged (even a smile or 'with you in a minute' will do!) and finally paid the bill.

Overall the food here was definitely good value for money, really tasty and hot (thanks to the chef)! However the service was awful! Extremely slow when they eventually got around to noticing you and prioritising customers who were obviously their friends made for two bored and displeased customers.

Don't think ill be back here soon.

Montrose, United Kingdom
“Excellent value and great cocktails”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Second visit to Candy Bar, food is excellent and all under £5.00! There is a few cocktails for £5.00 too but the main menu they are more priced £7.00-£8.00, worth it they are really food.

Visited May 2013