“BESTEST EVER!”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: New Town
Reviewed August 1, 2013

The first time I dined at the Honours was when it first opened and I have been addicted ever since! Every time we visit we are treated like a long lost friend. Nothing is an effort for the staff. The Bar staff are incredibly attentive and the Hendricks Gin and tonics are the best! What I love about this restaurant is the fact that there is something on the menu that will suit everyone's budget. You can make it as cheap or totally indulgent! We have been 6 or 7 times and NOT once have I walked away feeling disappointed. If anything it makes me want to return the following weekend! If you want the fresh, yummy local produce at it's best, then go here! GO!!!!!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,071)

Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

Over a long weekend in Edinburgh we chose to have dinner on a Friday night at the honours and we did not regret it. We arrived and were shown to a nice comfy bar area and offered nibbles and some cocktails by friendly bar staff. The whole place has a very modern and contemporary feel to it and on a Friday night a lovely buzz. I didn't opt for a starter however my partners was amazing. Mains course, we opted for chateaubriand cooked medium rare, and I can honestly say it is the best steak that I have ever eaten. The meat just cut like butter and melted in your mouth it was sublime. Dessert again was fabulous, we had seen on TA that the soufflé came highly recommend and again it was superb.

Overall the visit was faultless and the staff lovely and when we visit Edinburgh again will make it our first point of call for dinner.

1  Thank ChapmanDts17
Reviewed July 29, 2013

After asking around friends who dine out a lot where they might go for a special occaision 'The Honours' was mentioned a couple of times, so was duly booked.

First of all the food was beautifully presented, and a lot of work had obviously gone in to it, but it just didn't quite meet our expectations of such a well thought of (and let's face it, quite expensive) restaurant in terms of taste.

My wife had a beetroot and goats cheese starter which she felt was lacking goats cheese. My tuna tartare was tasty enough. For our main we shared the chateaubriand. I rarely feel the need to season food in restaurants, but I just had to ask for salt as the meat and the chips were woefully under seasoned.

The desserts were lovely.

So really, other than the under seasoned main dish there wasn't anything to complain about. We just felt a little underwhelmed.

Talking to the friends who recommended the restaurant again, perhaps we just chose poorly. But again in an establishment of this calibre that shouldn't really be possible.

The service was very good though

1  Thank frootloops
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Lovely restaurant with expert service. Had the chateaubriand which was melt in your mouth delicious. Highly recommend!

1  Thank Karinie
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Just got back from dinner there - starter was pretty good, desert was good, but the steak was outstanding and warrants a visit for that reason alone.