“Excellent value for money”

Swallow Greens Hotel
Swallow Greens Hotel
Ranked #140 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Wirral
“Excellent value for money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2006

My partner and I booked a 3 night stay at the Greens Hotel, although slightly worried about the previous reviews we went along and were treated. For the minute price we payed the hotel was amazing. Our room was spacious and very clean. The staff were friendly and the food was great. The only thing I can complain about is the shower that was a little dated, however it was hot and strong and did the job. I would highly reccomend this hotel to anyone. The setting, location, appearance, amenities, staff, cleaniness and everything else was spot on.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank kate1palmer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2006

We were due to stay at the hotel for one night. I phoned ahead 2 days before and the booking was confirmed. We arrived on the morning and were told that our room wasnt ready but we could leave our bags and return later. We returned late afternoon to be told that they didnt have a room for us. 3 other people were in reception having the same problem. They offered us alternative accommodation.

Stayed November 2006
2 Thank Pickle_99_Uk

Travelers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2006

This was a fine hotel. My friend and I stayed there for a couple of nights recently and found it hard to fault. Good value, good location, lovely building, nice room, friendly service. Only small quibble would be the fact that breakfast is only served till 9:30am on weekdays (10am at weekends), which meant we missed out both mornings on breakfast, as we had been out late both previous nights.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled with friends
5 Thank Jonathan H
England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2006

When I arrived, the hotel had no record of my booking. Fortunately I had evidence that I had pre-paid so they were obliged to rehome me - not easy on a Friday evening. I ended up in a pleasant guest house down the road, which judging by other reviews of Greens on this site, was possibly a better option. From what I could see, the public rooms at Greens looked OK . The location is quiet because it is a residential area, and the surrounding architecture is interesting. But I would suggest that you be kind to yourself and look elsewhere.

Stayed October 2006
1 Thank Businesswomanr
London, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2006

The hotel although a bit scruffy around the edges, the room was clean and comfortable. The bathroom was not so nice. There was hairs visible on the bathroom floor along side the bath from the previous occupant. I had dinner in the restaurant, but upon pouring the first glass of water from the jug there was debris in my glass. The food was ok. And the breakfast was good with a wide choice. But the cooked breakfast seemed greasy! The lift was old fashioned and to get in and out you had to push back the inner door and outer door. Upon leaving if these doors weren't closed the lift wouldn't move. I had to walk up and down the stairs to the third floor several times during my stay! Don't know if I would stay there again.,

• Liked — The red and white bedroom
  • Disliked — The debris from the water jug, the lift.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled solo
2 Thank Turmstrasse
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2006

I stayed at the Greens for two nights - I had a remarkably cheap deal - but to pay the standard rate would have been a rip off. The public areas are fairly smart and some of the staff are friendly. But my room was very bad - the bed was old and uncomfortable, the wall-paper had faded a funny colour orange in places, the carpet had threadbare patches and the bathroom had certainly seen better days. I felt as if I were staying in a cheap B&B thirty years ago!
The hotel is not in the best position in Edinburgh and I really thought the days of such standards had gone in UK hotels - it's really unacceptable!

• Liked — the restaurant and the fact it's in edinburgh
  • Disliked — the room
  • Tips/Secrets — stay in the old city, on george street or princes street - much better location!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank danco28
England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2006

Not impressed at all. The receptionist was inept to say the least.
The room was a good size, however on our second night we had no running water. What was the response? A shrug of the shoulders and told that the water may come back in the morning.

Never again!