“For real coffee drinkers”
Review of artisan roast

artisan roast
Ranked #738 of 2,566 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Scottish
Neighborhood: Broughton & Calton
Neighborhood: Broughton & Calton
Reviewed May 10, 2013

The Artisan Roast takes coffee making seriously - proper flat whites, cappuccinos, strong, flavoursome to give you a real "hit". Small intimate cafe with quirky back-room. And always some nice croissants & home made cake to help yourself. Nice location on fringe of Edinburgh's New Town.

1  Thank Neil W

Reviewed April 29, 2013

They do a brilliant flat white and have some lovely filters too. Definitely on par with any place I've gone to in London - Edinburgh has some great coffee shops! We also picked up a few almond croissants, which were perfectly flaky on the outside and deliciously soft on the inside. The sign by the door that reads, "JK Rowling Never Wrote Here" is kind of hilarious, and they even have explanations of different coffees on their chalk board for those that get confused. Fantastic.

1  Thank Mattie K
Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

Cosy artisan coffee house, bustling atmosphere. Interesting interior design. High stools in the main seating area, but there is a cosy living room type seating area at the back. My hot chocolate was an experience. I had to add loads of sugar but after the first mouthful I loved it. I don't do caffeine, the chocolate was soo strong it gave me a high afterwards! ( not a bad thing) the staff were very friendly and recommended a good restaurant for lunch, because they just do cake

Reviewed April 21, 2013

The flat whites here are simply sublime, served at the perfect temperature to savour the complexity and sweetness of the roast. This little place is on a par with anything that the great Oz and NZ independents have to offer in London. Edinburgh is a city indeed blessed when it comes to temples of coffee, and Artisan Roast is surely among the best. If you're not into pastries they generously allow you to take in food purchased from the excellent bakeries and delis in the vicinity. But coffee is king here.

1  Thank Tgpgunner
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I had heard before visiting that Artisan Roast served the best coffee in Edinburgh (and Glasgow), so went in with high expectations. The Broughton St branch has a really nice atmosphere and is decorated unlike anywhere else I've been, which does make it a nice place to sit and read or write accompanied by your drink.

On all my visits here I have ordered a flat white, sometimes to sit in and others to take away. The sit in prices are actually cheap, although the 50p surcharge for takeaway makes that slightly less competitive. The quality is excellent but I just feel there's a little something missing compared to the efforts of, say, Brew Lab, Razzo or Wellington. My flat whites have tasted a little weak and have never had the same level of flavour as I would find from those competitors.

This is perhaps a harsh review for a cafe I enjoy very much; I just feel it's reputation makes it sound a lot better than I found it to be.