“Very nice”

The Salisbury Arms
Ranked #335 of 2,597 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Our beautifully refurbished Gastropub, not far from Edinburgh city centre, serves delicious fresh food daily with a great selection of wines and local beers. In the warmer months enjoy Al Fresco dining in our beer garden with outdoor fire-pit and Peroni Bar and when the winter nights set in join us in the bar around the fire or in the dining room with indoor fire-pit. Scottish Entertainment Awards 2017 Finalists - Scotland's Best Gastropub - Scotland's Best Outdoor Hospitality Area
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We've been to this restaurant twice. Once for a Christmas dinner with friends and once as a couple. When we were with friends, they did well to accommodate a group of us, although we had pre-booked and preordered. Everyone else's food look fantastic, unfortunately I made a bad choice but that's my own fault!

When we went as a couple, our server was great - a very energetic and enthusiastic mature (sorry!) lady. Our food was lovely (steak and fish and chips), unfortunately we were in a hurry to get to a show or we would happily have had 3 courses. We did have to wait quite a while for our mains and another table who came in after us ordered from the set menu and had starter and mains before we got ours... that seems a little crazy but it was quite busy and we were a la carte so it's forgivable.

All in all, great food, very charming service, and the holy grail, FREE PARKING. They also seem to have a lot of little offers like the set menu, ££ off vouchers for loyalty etc. My only gripe is that when we went as a couple, the man who 'greeted' us at the door and seated us wasn't particularly friendly. We felt a bit like we'd been dumped at our table, and the worse thing is he seemed to be the manager.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,105)

Reviewed February 17, 2013

4 adults and 2 children under 3. Friendly, accommodating, good food and reasonably priced. Great place for a Sunday lunch, but could do with more parking.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

I had lunch here with quiet a large group of friends/peers - most of us were on a course, so we kind of descended on the place on mass, the staff seemed to cope, but food was surprisingly good. I will be sure to return with confidence to share with other friends/family.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

My friend and I dined here as it was just up the road from where we were staying (Hotel Ceilidh-Donia which was excellent) and we had an excellent meal.
I had the pork belly as a starter - melt in the mouth and delicious. My friend had the crayfish and crab cocktail and she couldn't stop 'mmmmmm' -ing!!
My main was the smoked Haddock risotto which came with black pudding and poached egg. I really enjoyed it. What I left was not a reflection on the quality, I was just defeated at the last!!
Thank you for a lovely meal with super friendly service. We will certainly return.

1  Thank tabithascotland
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Visited with the family this last Sunday, 6 people, 4 adults two kids. Overall, service was great and attentive, ambiance good. Busy. Starter was very nice (kidneys on toast with mushrooms) but my main (roast beef) was disappointing. Beef was carved very thick (1/2 steak!) and was very chewy. Should have had the burger (which my daughter had) which was much better!