“Great starter, shame about the main”
Review of The Salisbury Arms

The Salisbury Arms
Reserve with OpenTable
The Salisbury Arms is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #341 of 2,505 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Our beautifully refurbished Gastropub, not far from Edinburgh city centre, serves delicious fresh food daily with a great selection of wines and local beers. In the warmer months enjoy Al Fresco dining in our beer garden with outdoor fire-pit and Peroni Bar and when the winter nights set in join us in the bar around the fire or in the dining room with indoor fire-pit. Scottish Entertainment Awards 2017 Finalists - Scotland's Best Gastropub - Scotland's Best Outdoor Hospitality Area
Dumfries, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great starter, shame about the main”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Visited with the family this last Sunday, 6 people, 4 adults two kids. Overall, service was great and attentive, ambiance good. Busy. Starter was very nice (kidneys on toast with mushrooms) but my main (roast beef) was disappointing. Beef was carved very thick (1/2 steak!) and was very chewy. Should have had the burger (which my daughter had) which was much better!

• Visited January 2013

• Hebrew first
“So So”
Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

Visited this place for first time with a group of friends to celebrate a birthday. First impressions on walking in were very good, the Salisbury Arms is very nice & welcoming inside. The place was relatively full but didn't feel over crowded.
The service however was a big let down. The staff that were working seemed to be running everywhere. Trying to get a drink at the bar was not worth the effort. The member of staff that was looking after our table (& others) did her best.
It was a long wait for our starters, table was booked for 8pm & it was nearly 9.30 when they arrived. In drips & drabs. Portions were very small, especially the crayfish salad & lukewarm. Main courses were okay. Although the smoked haddock risotto was a let down, starchy rice & hardly any haddock to find. Some of the party had the red snapper & that looked & tasted good. As did the thick cut chips!
I can't say I would rush back for the food. However I would go back for a coffee as the setting & atmosphere were very good.

“Love my local!”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I've been here several times with friends, husband, family, young daughter etc. It's a warm, friendly, nicely decorated pub serving excellent drinks (incl estrella on tap) and yummy food. There is also an outdoor area for when it's rarely sunny in Edinburgh. They are very child friendly but don't let that put you off as there's a few different areas where you can avoid kids if you're in for other reasons. They do different themed nights and my husband and I ate there when it was steak night and it was amazing, really delicious cuts of beef cooked well service with fresh salad and your choice of potatoes.
We're moving the the west coast soon and I am so sad to be giving up my local :(

• Visited January 2013
“Avoid Sundays!”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I had eaten at this relatively new establishment before and was more than a little impressed for a chain.
However-my decesion to entertain visiting family members rather than cook for them myself one Sunday was a big regret.
The service was decidedly unattentive. We had to get up and find someone to get basic accompaniments. They seemed disorganised so may have been busy earlier.The drinks service was OK. If customers have to find staff-them all wearing the same uniform would help identification.
The main disappointment was the very poor quality of the (roasts) meat. Tough as old boots, tastless and cold. The potatoes were also very hard, although the rest of the veg was good. For a price much higher than many of their competitors-one would have expected something special. This was a HUGE embarassment. Advice would be -dont go for Sunday Lunch!!

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank jg45jg
taylorkeith1, Manager at The Salisbury Arms, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write - feedback is very important to us and we will always take both positive and negative comments on board. I can only apologise for your unsatisfactory experience on that Sunday last September. I am glad that your experiences previous to that were very positive, and I hope that you have returned in the past few months and found the Salisbury Arms to be of the high standard that we set for ourselves.
Sundays are very busy days for us - our busiest of the week, we have worked very hard to serve good quality food, many are roast dinners, to our regular guests. I am not sure why on this occasion quality was lacking, it's hard for us to look back to last September now, but I am confident that we do serve a great quality roast dinner, and I hope that you will give us another try on a Sunday.
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Great family pub.”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

We have been here many times with our two boys (now 10 and 14). The great thing about it is that they let kids in the evening. Something virtually nobody else does in Scotland. It must be because they think we might get corrupted or something.
Anyway the food is very good, service excellent and prices are reasonable. It's a great and very welcome alternative to Pizza Express and it's within walking distance, but only if you live in the South of Edinburgh.

• Visited December 2012