“Absolutely Amazing!”

Ranked #127 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Newcastle
“Absolutely Amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2010

For a last minute find for Hogmanay I was incredibly surprised to find tat the hotel was incredible. The owners are so friendly and attend to your every need. The rooms are clean and the breakfasts are to die for. The hotel is so close to the city centre so you save money on bus fares. Although there is no TV, it doesn't matter, because you spend most of your time sight seeing anyways. I will definitely stay here again when I next travel to Edinburgh.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AshRodda

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
aberdeen
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2009

I have stayed at this hotel a few times and it is consistently good in what I want, that is peace and quiet, good value and a decent breakfast thrown in. Okay there are no TVs in the rooms which will put some people out and I was surprised by this the first time I stayed but now, to my mind it enhances the peaceful ambience. A special mention for the breakfast because they really do make an effort for you. The sausages are particularly tasty and there's usually fish availabe if that is your fancy.
Stag and Hen parties is not what this is for but if you are a business traveller looking for a clean room and a quiet night or a family looking for a good value place to stay and you are not going to miss the TV then this place is ideal

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank quietroomplease
Middlesbrough
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2009

I choose the hotel becasue of its location close to the start of the edinburgh marathon I was doing the following day. Despite a slight delay with the room not being ready when we arrived (12:45ish) we found our stay most enjoyable and stress free as preperations for my marathon progressed. The room was comfortable with ensuite shower and a lovely view of the garden. It was reasonable quiet and teh bed was comfortable which guaranteed a good nights sleep. Our hosts were very accommodating with breakfast arrangements at 7:00. Real porridge, Toast and jam and plenty of tea made an ideal carbo loading start to the day.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank redwill_danaher
gelderland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2009

We had a wonderful time during our stay in this hotel. Very friendly and humourous people, a magnificent breakfast, in 10 minutes walking we were in the middle of Edinburg whilst halcyon-hotel is seated at a quiet street with a beautiful view.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
tonychang
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2009

upon arrival and after a wait we were let in the locked door by a soft spoken scotsman who apperared to be the owner. he was very helpful and pleasant but not too in your face as were the staff.
The Halcyon still retains alot of the original features of the building. It has no pretentions of being a modern hotel and has no wish to be. If it did have TV's they'd probably bi those big ol' 70's ones. It was so quiet I felt I had to whisper in the corridors yet was full of guests.
We paid a fraction of the price the rest of our family in the Royal Terrace Hotel next door and had a proper fry up the following day thrown in (they were offered on for about 25 quid).
If you want to experience a bit of history and dont want flat screens, colour cordianated brown furniture and too many pillows on the bed and fancy saving a few bob then I'd recommend giving the Halycon a try.

Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
dundee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2009

The Halcyon represents good value for money.It is well located for access to Edinburgh city centre, the Railway and bus routes. The owners were very friendly indeed. My room was quite a climb to the top floor and was large.It had ensuite facilities and was adequate, although the old fashioned furniture and a lack of a tv would not be to everyones taste.There was, however, a large and comfortable visitors lounge which had a telly and loads of books.

Breakfast was superb. When I ordered Grapefruit I thought I would get the usual tinned segments. Not here.I was served a magnificant half fruit with strawberries oranges and apples.The perfect cure for a hangover! I enjoyed my stay'
Jim

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2008

Having "won" an e-bay auction for a night at The Halcyon, my wife phoned on a number of occasions trying to arrange the stay. On the agreed date, she phoned to say we would be arriving late due to a rugby match. On arrival at 10.15 the guy said that they had not been paid for any of the vouchers auctioned and that we had to pay ( again ! ) for the privilege of staying.
It is clearly not their fault that they had not been paid, but such a clear scam to allow us to arrive late & then tell us so that we had no option but to pay full rates is below the belt.
Hotel may be lovely, but their ethics stink as they had ample opportunity to advise us in the weeks before, or even earlier when we phoned.

Stayed September 2008