“Would Highly Recommend !”
Review of Halcyon Hotel

Halcyon Hotel
Ranked #126 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
GLASGOW
“Would Highly Recommend !”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I stayed here for two nights with my Mother for a short getaway. The position of the house is very well situated for the Playhouse and a short walk from Princes St.We stayed in a triple room which had 3 single beds in. Rooms are very basic but clean and functional. A small tv wouldn't have went a miss but as we weren't in the room for long this didn't become a problem. The house its self is very impressive and still has lot of period features which add to its character.
The breakfast is of the standard you would look for in an expensive hotel. I didn't want to eat the eat the grapefruit and fruit it was presented that well ! Massive fry up cooked to perfection ! Only quibble would be it was missing black pudding and tattie scone being in Scotland.
Overall i would recommend this bed and breakfast and will return myself next time in staying in Edinburgh .

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank LORNA68

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Stranraer, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Halcyon House for a week during the General Assembly. If one was fussy, you might say that the bedroom is somewhat dated in its decor and doesn't have a television. That is my only criticism. A warm welcome awaits the weary traveller to the hotel from the owner. I had an on suite room at the top floor, be warned, there isn't a lift, and it is up quite a few stairs. My bedroom overlooked a lovely garden which guests may make use of during your stay. The whole hotel is spotlessly clean, my bedroom had a single bed, not the most comfortable which I have slept in, but I did get a good nights sleep each evening and tea or coffee making facilities. In the morning there was always ample hot water.
There is a guests lounge with television and further tea or coffee making facilities, also with a supply of biscuits.
The breakfast has quite an array to choose from and is always well cooked with plenty to eat. I look forward to coming to Edinburgh in the future and staying at the Halcyon.

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Tangowhisky14
California
Reviewed May 18, 2013

My two-day stay at Halcyon Hotel in Edinburgh was a delight in every way. The location was perfect-- a quiet street (longest Georgian terrace in the U.K.), yet a short walk to the city center. The staff and owners were delightful, the rooms were charming with small personal touches everywhere. Nothing plastic about this place. And the breakfast, included in the very moderate price, was gorgeous -- white table cloths, a menu, and even special meals for vegetarians. Can't wait to go back. (I also added a rave review on hotels.com, but they mistakenly linked that to a "poor" rating. Halcyon House is excellent--tops in its class!)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Schwyz, Switzerland
Reviewed May 14, 2013

A very friendy welcome and a clean room in a very scottish atmosphere. This place is not your usual chain hotel or anything like it. It felt more like a home away from home. If you are looking for luxury, this is not the place for you, but if you look for character, you probably like the place!
The breakfast is also really nice. I had the cooked breakfast both mornings and the quality and quantity of the food were great. I saw some of the other breakfast options and they looked great as well!
This place is definitely high up on my list of hotels and my new top choice for Edinburgh!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Shanghai, China
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Booked a room for two and arrived in the afternoon. Room was ready and clean, the reception friendly. Major sights and the Edinburgh railway-station are close by.
Breakfast was rich.
We were staying for one night, as we continued to travel further down, but would have also prolonged our stay, if possible.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My parents and I spent the bank holiday in Edinburgh, 3 nights in total at the Halcyon Hotel. If represents a great base to explore the city, as its close to Calton Hill. The rooms are large, warm and clean. Bathrooms are small, but clean, as you'd expect them to be in a terrace house.
However, the charm of the hotel lies in its staff, very warm and welcoming, and in the great breakfast.
Its like visiting your favorite relatives in Scotland, looking fwd to come back!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Sandhurst, UK
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I stayed here for one night because I took part in a Half Marathon event in the city and needed somewhere not too expensive to crash for the night. This was really well located (as the event started in Holyrood Park) and fitted the bill perfectly. I arrived about 6 pm, and got a warm welcome. I just had a single room on the ground floor. It wasn't actually an en suite because fire regulations meant they couldn't do the necessary work to make it one, but the small bathroom just down the corridor was only for me. I just had to remember to take my key with me! My room did have a wash basin though.

My room was small but with only me, it wasn't a problem. It included tea and coffee making facilities although I understand there is a lounge on the first floor where tea and coffee is also available. There are no televisions in the rooms but I didn't need one anyway.

The whole place was spotlessly clean and if you're looking for things to do, there's a good array of tourist leaflets in the hall. When I checked in, I was told that breakfast started at 8.30. Unfortunately I had to leave by 8.00 to get down for the start of my event so instead, they kindly put a tray in my room the night before - fruit juice, half a grapefruit with some orange slices and strawberries, a bowl of cereal, some milk, an apple and a banana. I thought this was a lovely touch which many hotels would not have done, and it made all the difference, especially the extra fruit which gave me a boost during the event.

This hotel isn't posh but it's clean, comfortable, reasonably priced and well located.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Thank Good Names All Gone!