“Wonderful small hotel in Edinburgh”
Review of Halcyon Hotel

Halcyon Hotel
Ranked #129 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed May 18, 2013

My two-day stay at Halcyon Hotel in Edinburgh was a delight in every way. The location was perfect-- a quiet street (longest Georgian terrace in the U.K.), yet a short walk to the city center. The staff and owners were delightful, the rooms were charming with small personal touches everywhere. Nothing plastic about this place. And the breakfast, included in the very moderate price, was gorgeous -- white table cloths, a menu, and even special meals for vegetarians. Can't wait to go back. (I also added a rave review on hotels.com, but they mistakenly linked that to a "poor" rating. Halcyon House is excellent--tops in its class!)

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed May 14, 2013

A very friendy welcome and a clean room in a very scottish atmosphere. This place is not your usual chain hotel or anything like it. It felt more like a home away from home. If you are looking for luxury, this is not the place for you, but if you look for character, you probably like the place!
The breakfast is also really nice. I had the cooked breakfast both mornings and the quality and quantity of the food were great. I saw some of the other breakfast options and they looked great as well!
This place is definitely high up on my list of hotels and my new top choice for Edinburgh!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Booked a room for two and arrived in the afternoon. Room was ready and clean, the reception friendly. Major sights and the Edinburgh railway-station are close by.
Breakfast was rich.
We were staying for one night, as we continued to travel further down, but would have also prolonged our stay, if possible.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My parents and I spent the bank holiday in Edinburgh, 3 nights in total at the Halcyon Hotel. If represents a great base to explore the city, as its close to Calton Hill. The rooms are large, warm and clean. Bathrooms are small, but clean, as you'd expect them to be in a terrace house.
However, the charm of the hotel lies in its staff, very warm and welcoming, and in the great breakfast.
Its like visiting your favorite relatives in Scotland, looking fwd to come back!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I stayed here for one night because I took part in a Half Marathon event in the city and needed somewhere not too expensive to crash for the night. This was really well located (as the event started in Holyrood Park) and fitted the bill perfectly. I arrived about 6 pm, and got a warm welcome. I just had a single room on the ground floor. It wasn't actually an en suite because fire regulations meant they couldn't do the necessary work to make it one, but the small bathroom just down the corridor was only for me. I just had to remember to take my key with me! My room did have a wash basin though.

My room was small but with only me, it wasn't a problem. It included tea and coffee making facilities although I understand there is a lounge on the first floor where tea and coffee is also available. There are no televisions in the rooms but I didn't need one anyway.

The whole place was spotlessly clean and if you're looking for things to do, there's a good array of tourist leaflets in the hall. When I checked in, I was told that breakfast started at 8.30. Unfortunately I had to leave by 8.00 to get down for the start of my event so instead, they kindly put a tray in my room the night before - fruit juice, half a grapefruit with some orange slices and strawberries, a bowl of cereal, some milk, an apple and a banana. I thought this was a lovely touch which many hotels would not have done, and it made all the difference, especially the extra fruit which gave me a boost during the event.

This hotel isn't posh but it's clean, comfortable, reasonably priced and well located.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Thank Good Names All Gone!
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I spent two nights here during February 2013. The hotel is in a good location, about 10 mins walk from the railway station, so there was no noise disturbance at night. Patricia, the host, and other staff were warm, friendly and helpful - nothing was too much trouble. Although check in was from 2pm onwards, I was allowed to leave my luggage there earlier in the day, so I could start exploring Edinburgh.
The room was spacious enough for a single person, even though there was a double and single bed in the room. The ensuite was clean and supplied with plenty of bathroom products. The power shower was easy to operate. Plenty of soft towels were provided.There were also plenty of tea and coffee sachets available in the room, but only full fat milk. I made myself one cup of coffee, but as I'm used to skimmed milk didn't enjoy it and so didn't make any more.
I found the bed too hard for me with ridges on the mattress and this affected my sleep quality.
I used the TV lounge on both evenings. The TV is modern, with a good sized screen, but the furniture in the lounge is old fashioned and not very comfortable.
The dining room is well set out with attention paid to detail and with a wide range of food available I was very satisfied with the breakfast provided - plenty of food and of good quality.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 17, 2013

The people are warm and friendly, and the breakfast is well prepared and of good quality. The wifi is free and the signal easily reached my room on the 2nd floor. The bed was too hard for my comfort, but fortunately there was a second bed in my room, so I swiped its duvet and slept on top of that. The lavatory basin in my en-suite shower room seemed to be fairly new, but it had separate hot and cold taps (which always surprises me in new fixtures) and I was unable to get warm running water. The towels were thick and comfortable, and the power shower was easy to operate. This hotel has no lift, but at two stars I wasn't really expecting one, and it wasn't a problem for me. The location is convenient to the centre without being in the middle of the noise, although there is some road traffic that is audible through the single-glazed window (I suspect that this is a listed building), even with the shutters closed.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo