“Excellent location & staff”
Review of The Balmoral Hotel

The Balmoral Hotel
Ranked #10 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Excellent location & staff”
Reviewed November 9, 2010

An imposing building from outside, however once in the main door, the staff are welcoming and friendly (thankfully not over-friendly).

The public areas are of a high standard, and the room I receieved (1st floor) was spacious, modern and well worth the price. My only gripe is my room faced the bridge, and the traffic noise was a little loud in morning rush hour - however not at all detrimental, merely an observation.

Def. recommended.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (651)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Haslemere
Reviewed November 8, 2010

Highly professional, but warm, service coupled with a comfortably environment made for a relaxing break away from the grind of everyday life. Excellent service, in particular, from John and his colleagues at Hadrian's Brasserie and from housekeeping - fab turndown service which really refreshed our room. Happy to recommend to others.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Giddsy
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 7, 2010

Positives:

- The room was of a good size with very high ceiling and the furniture was decent
- There was a trouser press in the cupboard, hadn't seen one of those in a hotel room for a while
- Very friendly service and extremely helpful concierge

Negatives:

- The spa looked like an LA fitness gym, not what you expect from a 5 star Rocco Forte Hotel
- The TV in the room wasn't LCD / Plasma
- The use of the business centre is not free of charge: Something you would expect in a Travelodge or even in a low rate 4* but definitely NOT in a pretentious 5* hotel
- The tiles in the bathroom were among the ugliest I have ever seen
- The barman didn't know the difference between the whiskies on the menu (and I thought I was in Scotland)

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank NB289
balmoraledinburgh, Manager at The Balmoral Hotel, responded to this review, November 17, 2010
Dear guest

Thank you for taking the trouble to share your impressions on Tripadvisor. I am pleased to read that you were impressed with the service you received from my colleagues and that the concierge in particular took good care of you. Furthermore, I am also happy to let you know that as of this week, we provide complimentary internet access for our guests in the business centre.
I am sorry that the bathroom did not meet with your expectations. We have an ongoing refurbishment programme in the hotel and will shortly recommence our bathroom upgrade.
I do hope that you might consider staying at the Balmoral in the future and would suggest that on such an occassion you contact the hotel directly to make your booking, when you can also request one of our more modern rooms, which I believe would better suit your preferences.

Kind regards
Harry Fernandes
London
Reviewed November 2, 2010

This was something of a trip down memory lane for me as my family stayed here in the 90s and my school leavers ball was held at the hotel. I was very much looking forward to returning!

Well, we walked up the steps from our train at Waverley station to the steps of the hotel and our bags were immediately whisked away from us which was a lovely start. We were then checked in and shown to our room in super quick time. We had been upgraded to a suite which we politely refused in favour of a room on a higher floor with a view. This change was made with no fuss and the staff were extremely helpful in helping us move our bags. The room we stayed in had a stunning south facing view over Arthur's seat and the North Bridge and we had lots of sun! Amazing for October. Staff were extremely helpful, service very quick and quietly brilliant.

Some of the new room design is a little odd - rococo style wall lights either side of the tv unit (why?) and odd muted greens and brown leather headboards are a little strange, as is the artwork. But the beds were divinely comfortable and bath one of the biggest i've used!

The pool is a real treat, far superior to most hotel pools I have used, the eucalyptus steam room is a great pick-me-up.

Breakfast at Hadrians was faultless - I strongly recommend their eggs benedict. We also enjoyed a splendid afternoon tea with tasty cinnamon wholemeal scones. Sadly number one was fully booked during our stay - it would have been nice to have the suggestion to make a booking when we made our reservation. We will have to return again!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank jemipie
Temple City, California
Reviewed October 30, 2010

Huge hotel on Princes Street, across from park and at the foot of Edinburgh castle. Elegant with ground floor study, fireplaces in common rooms and, for the right price, a view from your room of Edinburgh Castle. Close to all things Edinburgh.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank joanpierc
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2010

This place feels like hotels probably did a hundred years ago, with a really nice contemporary twist... Perfectly balanced, but for the money, there are one or two more personal options in the city.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
London
Reviewed October 28, 2010

We thoroughly enjoyed our trip to Edinburgh and especially our time at the Balmoral hotel.

The location of the hotel is just wonderful. In walking distance of all the major attractions, and halfway between the old and new towns, you can't really beat it! The welcome to the hotel was warm and friendly. We felt special and that we were valued.

The room we had was very comfortable and the bed extremely comfortable with fluffy pillows into which you could sink luxuriously! I can take on board a couple of small points that I have read in other reviews, e.g. there are no mixer taps on the sink (seems trivial but it actually is noticeable!), the shower curtain is flimsy and doesn't feel very 5 star, the mini bar was not restocked after we had eaten things from it etc., so that's why I didn't quite give full marks to the room. Also it was looking a little tired, so I didn't give cleanliness the full marks either. But I am being very picky here - we didn't mind these things at all, because the service was so great and the ambience is romantic and classy. At the 5 star prices, however, I thought they were worth a mention! There is one issue that I do think they could work on - the lack of wireless internet. I think ought to be a given that in such a hotel, there will be complimentary wireless.

We ate at Hadrian's brasserie and had a very enjoyable meal. Again, great service. We enjoyed cocktails at the Balmoral Bar, and it is pleasant to go to a bar with waitress service, which again was flawless. We also had breakfast in our room (though it was not included in our room rate) and actually found it to be good value. It was all fresh and perfectly cooked, and kept us going all day.

The highlight of our stay was the spa visit. As there is a separate lift to the spa for guests, you can go down to it in our bathrobe and slippers, which happens surprisingly rarely in spa hotels! The massage I had was one of the best ever - I was asked all the right questions so that the therapist gave me a really personalised treatment that took away all my stresses. There is also a relaxation room that you are taken to afterwards, with loungers, soft music, low lighting, magazines and unlimited fruit juice, which really makes a difference. You feel like you can really enjoy the time without being rushed out. The pool looked very nice although we did not swim in it.

All in all, I can't think of a better location to stay in Edinburgh, and I am certain that we would stay there if we return to Edinburgh.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple