“Loved the Balmoral”

Ranked #12 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Glasgow, Scotland
“Loved the Balmoral”
Reviewed February 27, 2006

stayed 1 night at the Balmoral. Parked in the St James Centre. Cost only £17.10 for 26 hours parking so not bad. At check in they asked if we were there for a special occasion and I explained it was my husbands birthday. they invited us to a glass of champagne & nibbles in the bar while they took our luggage up to the room. When we got to our room there was a card and more champagne and some chocolate dipped strawberries. The room 518 is lovely with a fantastic castle and princess st view. Liked the dressing area and plasma tv. Bathroom was kind of cold and the shower soaked the floor but otherwise shower was fab, so powerfull, lots of tolietries and lovely snug bathrobes. Didn't eat in the hotel but had some more drinks in the bar before heading out and the pianst played our song etc. Had room service breakfast which was really lovely. Would definately stay here again.

• Stayed February 2006
9 Thank katkitty

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (661)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Northern Ireland
Reviewed February 7, 2006

Stayed here for one night in February.
The hotel surpassed all our expectations. Stayed in a large 5th floor suite with incredible views of Arthrs Seat, the Old Town, the castle and Princes Street.
The 'kids vip' package is very, very good - the children get their own toiletries, teddy bear, bath robe etc. our two felt really important!
The staff are excellent - know you by name, even if they haven't met you and are very attentive.
Cannot recommend the hotel highly enough.

Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
5 Thank dgordonni
Trabuco Canyon, California
Reviewed January 22, 2006

I stayed at the Balmoral with my mother and two sisters for six nights during Christmas 2005. We picked the hotel based on Trip Advisor reviews and the Balmoral web site.

This is one of the times the hotel lived up to the photography and hype in a hotel's marketing materials. We had city view rooms on the 5th floor. The rooms and baths were spacious, clean and odorless (which are my three hot buttons when it comes to hotel accomodations). We had two minor hiccups with the bathrooms -- in one room the rubber stripping along the shower door was loose and by the time the second person showered there was a largeish puddle on the floor by the toilet. In the other room, the bathroom door stuck a bit. Again, minor problems that we easily overlooked. Each room had two closets, but we would've benefitted from a few more drawers.

We used the healthclub / spa facilities twice. The facilities were very clean but the pool area smelled heavily of chlorine. Not a major problem, just noticable. The workout rooms were surprisingly spacious and, at that time of year, empty. I had one studio all to myself. It was well-equipped with mats, equipment (for Pilates and yoga), a music system. The other studios had standard cardiovascular equipment.

The service was outstanding. They attended to our every need. In particular, Andy of the concierge staff made excellent arrangements for us. I had emailed him months in advance and he secured Christmas Eve reservations for us at Oloroso (we had a lovely dinner) and Christmas Day reservations at Number 1 (outstanding). All of the other places he booked us for dinner were also exactly what we were looking for.

Everyone who worked there was friendly and helpful, whether we were having tea in Palm Court, a meal at Hadrians, assistance from housekeeping or help from a bellman. It was all top notch.

The location is terrific. Quick access to everything.

I highly recommend the Balmoral. We thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Stayed December 2005
10 Thank riley_of_OC
Buckinghamshire, UK
Reviewed January 21, 2006

I have just returned from a 3 night stay at the Balmoral Hotel. There's no doubt it's a very prestigious address and a landmark building in the City, however I left feeling slightly disappointed.

The room I had was large and a had subtle blend of traditional and contemporary furnishings. The bathroom was a little 'tired' and old fashioned though and this spoiled the overall feeling of the room. Some people have commented on the noise levels in the hotel. I noticed that most noise came from other guests, either banging doors or talking loudly in the corridors - not from the traffic of Princes Street!

I was very disappointed with the lack of coffee making facilities in the room. I object to paying £180 per night and then having to phone room service every time I fancy a coffee. This is especially annoying first thing in the morning! Other hotels can manage it, so why not the Balmoral?

Having said all that, the staff at the hotel were second to none. Everyone I came into contact with was very polite and friendly, using my name at all times. The hotel was very clean and showed no sign of wear and tear in the public areas.

Compared to the Glasshouse Hotel around the corner, The Balmoral was a bit of a let down.

4 Thank GDP747
Scotland
Reviewed January 21, 2006

We visited this hotel for a special occasion which was my Husbands 40th Birthday. I booked a Superior Deluxe King Room with castle views and we were not disappointed! I booked the room directly through the hotel itself and I stressed to them it was a surprise and I did not want any correspondence from them. They did not let me down!!! When we arrived at the hotel the staff were so nice and very professional. After we checked in and were shown to our room the hotel sent up a complimentary bottle of champagne and a birthday card for my husband, a really nice touch! The room had all the luxuries..bath robes, slippers, toiletries etc. Although no tea or coffee making facilities. We had dinner at Hadrian's that night and again were not disappointed. After dinner we returned to our room and while we were out it had been beautifully turned down. The next day we had room service breakfast. It arrived at exactly the time we requested and the girl was very courteous. All in all we would highly recommend this hotel to anyone. The staff, the facilities, and the location are all excellent and cannot be faulted! Although its expensive, give yourself a treat..its worth it!!!

8 Thank Wee-Flossy
Reviewed January 19, 2006

my husband and i stayed here recently for 5 nights. upon arrival the concierge were attentive in every way. we had booked a castle view room,but were upgraded to a suite free of charge as it was my husbands birthday. we were also provided with free champagne and strawberries dipped in chocolate....must try!
The Room..
Clean,very spacious,plenty of wardrobes and drawers. The technology in the room was fine although i would have expected better for the star rating. the bathroom was beautiful,and the bath itself is fantastic. toiletries were basic rocco forte issue,again i would have expected better. Plenty of towels and bathrobes available.
The Spa...
Totally fantastic,perfectly clean and wonderful staff with excellant treatments and products on offer.
Housekeeping....
Apparently you get a turndown service at night time,in reality this is at 5pm and if you are in your room at the time then you don't get it!this means you miss out on complimentary mineral water,ice bucket etc etc.
we sent some laundary to the housekeeping dept,most of it was fine,however my husbands brand new shirt,which was very expensive came back with a foul grease stain across the breast area. We complained at reception and were met with a very positive response and were given a complimentary cocktail and were assured that it would be resolved. housekeeping collected it the next day and claimed to wash it twice. however the stain remains,the shirt is totally ruined,we were charged for it to be washed 3 times in total and were informed that the stain was in place at the time of collection.....simply not true.my advice is not to trust them.
Food...
we only ate breakfast which is highly expensive and the quality does not reflect the price,although it is adequate. we were unable to try their N0 1 restaurant as it was closed for a re-firb.
Bollinger Bar.......
Fantastic cocktails at fair prices. wonderfull staff who really know what they are doing. Definatley the best part about the hotel.
I would visit again,but only out of season as i think the high season prices are too much for what you actually get.

5 Thank babe3
Newport Beach, California
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,229 helpful votes
Reviewed January 3, 2006

My partner and I recently visited Edinburgh in November 2005 between visits in London (Le Meridien Piccadilly) and Paris (Pavillon de la Reine), and we chose the Balmoral. I had previously been to Edinburgh and stayed at the Caledonian Hilton in May 2004. Although the Balmoral is, indeed, more expensive, I can absolutely declare that the hotel is well worth the added expense if you value service and a more romantic atmosphere.

We stayed in a castle view suite, and the room was extraordinary. The bedroom and living room areas were comfortable, spacious (but not enormous), and extremely well appointed. The castle view was not even close to the spectacular view that I had previously from the Caledonian Hilston, but it was a pleasant castle view, nonetheless.

I chose the Balmoral for its more intimate and romantic atmosphere and its high level of service, and the hotel did not in any way disappoint. The Caledonian is a great hotel, to be sure, but the Balmoral just feels far more boutique and intimate and romantic in my opinion. The level of dining was far superior at the Balmoral for both dinner and breakfast, and the Michelin rated restaurant in the hotel was spectacular--well worth the expense and a highlight of our Edinburgh visit.

The hotel's service is absolutely first-rate. As frequent visitors at Four Seasons hotels and resorts around the world, I can easily testify that the Balmoral was comparable, if not even a bit superior. They treated us like kings in all things, made wonderful dinner recommendations, went out of their way to get us into restaurants they thought would appeal, and did everything with a comfortable, stylish touch. They remembered us both by name throughout our visit, which also impressed us.

The hotel, as mentioned above, didn't have the same spectacular castle view as the Hilton, but it did have better proximity to the Royal Mile and shopping.

I would definitely choose the Balmoral again for its service and charm!

• Stayed November 2005