The Balmoral Hotel
      The Inn Place(Edinburgh)
      • Bar/Lounge
      • Pool
      4,102 results
      All reviewsthe palm courthadrian's brasseriescotch barrocco fortemarble bathroomsean conneryconcierge stafftrain stationbeautiful hotelturn down serviceluxury hotelprinces streetbirthday treatedinburgh castlecastle viewroyal milespa
      FilterAll languages
      Reviewed June 12, 2014

I visited Edinburgh this year with my daughter in March to visit family and again to do some shopping. Boy! Can my daughter shop! Once again we had a very nice room, noise levels from the road outside were minimal. Comfort though was maximum! Staff once again were very attentive and welcoming. This time I tried out the swimming pool in the spa. My daughter insisted and I'm glad she did. Lovely experience, very clean and nice and warm. Huge bath robes to shimmy down the corridors to the lift that took you down to it and a welcoming member of staff to show us around and where we could help ourselves to a refreshment once we were out of the pool. Scrumptious breakfast in the morning and help with our departure. I will be back as I'm sure my husband would like a stay next time we visit family.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
      1  Thank Jonkaz
      Reviewed June 9, 2014

The Balmoral is one of the best hotels I have ever had the pleasure of staying at. This being my third visit to this Hotel and it being a good few years since I was last here I was interested to see how much had changed.

I am happy to say that the hotel has managed to keep its soul and elegance that make this place special. Our executive sweet(room 628) was tastefully decorated with nods to the past and flashes of modern a boutique in the décor. the only thing i would say is the Windows could do with an extra layer of glazing to keep the outside road noise down a notch.

The spa was nice and quiet and had as expected a good sized sauna and steam room.

We had dinner at the hotels Hadrian restaurant and had one of the best rib eye steaks ever, really enjoyed it.

Overall a great trip and excellent food

Room Tip: The royal suite is exceptional, the essence of luxury
      • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
      1  Thank Tam182sk
      Reviewed June 9, 2014

Me & my partner recently had an overnight stay in the balmoral on sat the 7th June 2014 which was £455 a night the room was very basic the cushions from the sofa where on the floor & there was a welcome card in someone else's name. I tried to connect to there free 24 hours wifi but was unable to due to an error with there system i advised reception of this and they put in a temporary code which was very temporary this only lasted 2 hours then wouldnt work after this i then gave up.
      We went into the bar in the evening we got chatting to the bar man who asked where we had booked for dinner we advised we where going to Steak the bar man advised there was a better restaurant than steak and he could cancel this & try getting us into this other restuarant which he thought was better i found this extremely rude we where looking forward to Steak which was most enjoyable why would we want to cancel that at the last minute to go on someone elses's recommendation and £15 for 1 french martini please!!
      On checking out of our room we asked if they could look after our luggage for a few hours so we could spend some more time in the city however they advised they where unable to so we then had to take our luggage about with us all day i was not impressed soon as they have the money there not interested.
      If you are attending the balmoral you are simply paying for the name not the service & the rooms are requiring a makeover this was very bland for the money we paid & wont be returning there are far more luxurious hotels in Edinburgh than the balmoral.

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs
      • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
      11  Thank Nicola O
      BalmoralEdinburgh, General Manager at The Balmoral Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2014

Dear Guest,

I am very sorry to read of your disappointing experience following your recent stay at The Balmoral. Your review does not reflect the typical high levels of service that we aim so hard to deliver to each of our guests and I am concerned to learn of the poor impression you been left with.
      Unfortunately I was unable to identify your reservation details from your review so am unable to comment on the specifics of your stay at this stage. I would be extremely grateful if you could contact me directly at your convenience on the below number to discuss your experience personally.

Yours sincerely

Franck X Arnold
      0131 556 2414

Reviewed June 8, 2014

We spent 3 nights at The Balmoral and have been spoilt for staying anywhere else in Edinburgh. We had a fantastic room, 614, with the most amazing views over Princes St. and the Castle. We didn't hear any noise at all from the road or the station.

We ate breakfast in Hadrian's each morning and very much enjoyed the buffet selection. We had only planned to have dinner one night in Hadrian's but, because of the torrential rain, tried it a second time and found the food tasty and plentiful on both occasions.

All of the staff were friendly, professional and attentive.

We will stay here again.

Room Tip: It's worth paying for the views over Princes St.
      • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
      1  Thank sper531695
      Reviewed June 8, 2014

We stayed here for our anniversary and given its long-standing reputation, we were not disappointed!

The staff were fantastic - very professional, polite and welcoming. The room was lovely and of a very high standard, and the bed was very comfortable - great, if you're touring and need a good night's rest.

The location is outstanding - right next to the train station and the hotel itself is a landmark, so you will never fail to find it!

We would highly recommend the Balmoral bar - we will review this separately!

Hopefully we will be back soon!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple