“great but”
Review of The Balmoral Hotel

The Balmoral Hotel
Ranked #12 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed December 31, 2013

we had a great time at the Balmoral; the service was extraordinary, everyone was super friendly and helpful, and the most important things [such as quality of bed, breakfast, bathroom etc] were amazing. having said that, we left our iPhone in the room one morning and didn't find it there when we returned. we immediately informed the reception without making a fuss but unfortunately they were more laid back than we would have expected/wished for. We kept asking politely for two days for an update until we had to be less nice 48 hrs later to receive an actual response... which was, they couldn't find the cell phone anywhere, and that was the end of it. would have expected a more direct approach from their side from the first moment; after all, this is a 5-star hotel and such incidents should be dealt with more carefully. apart from this very unfortunate incident, everything was great

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank VMarkaki
balmoraledinburgh, General Manager at The Balmoral Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Dear Guest

I am very sorry to learn of the lack of urgency shown when you reported your phone missing during your recent stay, as well as the poor communication thereafter. Having spoken with my colleagues in housekeeping and reception, I understand that regrettably the phone has still not been located. A member of the Front Office management team will be in contact with you shortly to further investigate this situation and I sincerely hope given your extremely positive experience overall that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Balmoral soon.

Yours sincerely

Franck X Arnold

There are newer reviews for The Balmoral Hotel

Reviewed December 31, 2013

Spent our second Christmas stay with our family. As on the previous stay the hotel had a real festive atmosphere which was enhanced by the excellent service and welcome from the staff in all departments. The bedrooms were spotless and had all the necessary facilities.
Overall the hotel has character and ambience.

Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is just ace. It's directly next to the train station and right near to the best shopping in Edinburgh. We were lucky enough to have a room with a fantastic view of princes street and the castle, which was very special. The room itself was small but perfectly formed and more than met our needs. Comfy bed, lovely linen and remarkably quiet for being in the city centre. The staff were all very helpful and not a bit pretentious. The noted it was my birthday and treated me to some macaroons on a decorated plate. A very nice touch. If I could change one thing - it would be to have coffee in the room.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Relatives were staying here and invited us to their room for a visit. The room had no view but was very spacious and well furnished. There were no tea making facilities in the room, so my brother phoned room service and asked for a pot of tea for 4. A few mins later, a waiter brought in a tray with 4 cups and saucers, an empty kettle and 3 tea bags. (There were some coffee sachets). No teapot. The milk was still in its plastic container. We filled the kettle and had our tea. Not what we would expect from a luxury style hotel.

1  Thank 312wync
Reviewed December 28, 2013

I purchased 'The Balmoral Afternoon Tea for Two' as a birthday gift for my mum thinking that it would be a cut above her usual haunts...I was wrong! Admittedly, the setting- Palm Court- was impressive, and the atmosphere improved as more people arrived and the harpist began playing. However, we were disappointed by the food....portions and taste. Could barely see the filling on the sandwiches which were nothing special anyway, and the baguette with the coronation chicken was so tough that I couldn't cut it! We were going for spa treatments later that afternoon so we only had a scone each, the spiced mousse and my mum had half of a brownie. Having watched the staff hand out boxes to other guests I expected that what we didn't over-indulge in my mum would take home and have as a treat later. She was looking forward to this! I had also read about this practice in other reviews before I booked. Mum got home later that evening to discover the two small and dry, plain scones in the box. Very disappointing...where did all of the cakes that we didn't touch go!? Again having watched other guests being offered food from the cake stand I expected that we would also be asked, which we were having sat for ages only to be approached by a member of staff who didn't know if his colleague had already asked us. We had already started to get ready to leave so we declined, the cakes looked nicer than what was placed on the table but I guess we will never know what any of them tasted like! Didn't take the ticket for our coats to the entrance as it had been put down on our table with no explanation and we weren't asked for any proof of booking/gift voucher before leaving. So, during my mums spa treatment she received not 1 but 3 missed calls and a voicemail from the hotel pestering her to call them regarding this. I will not be investing money in this experience again or recommending it to anyone.

8  Thank Amy S
Reviewed December 27, 2013

This was a surprise destination for my 50th birthday and I could not have been more impressed with the service from all of the staff at this wonderful hotel and in the Number One restaurant. From arrival and the attention to detail at check in to departure the next day this was an experience to savour! The meal at Number One was exceptional and we were greeted at the entrance and put instantly at ease by the bar staff and Maitre D as this was our first experience in a Michelin star restaurant, The special 'touches' that both the hotel staff and restaurant staff did to make my 50th something I shall never forget make this hotel stand out above all others I have stayed at! We WILL BE back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the castle and the Royal Mile overlooking Waverley Stn.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

This is my second time here and I am really just stuck for words because this place takes the words out of my mouth.
It's amazingly clean,the staff are absolutely amazing
and very professional, the breakfast is the best and the concierge don't try to just send you anywhere because they are getting a back hander from that place.
It's right in the middle of everything with great views of the castle(depending on what room you are in).
This place is a home away from home don't go anywhere else but here.

• Stayed: December 2013