“Discreet and excellent service”
Review of The Balmoral Hotel

The Balmoral Hotel
Ranked #12 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

I stay at this hotel relatively frequently when in Edinburgh with work. Unlike a lot of upmarket hotels it has resisted the temptation to become too contemporary. The setting is luxurious but understated, the rooms and building have all modern conveniences but retaining some class. The staff are fantastic and the breakfast is great.

• Stayed: January 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (3,951)

Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel in a great location. The staff was courteous and helpful. When we booked our stay, we requested adjoining rooms to be close to our daughter and we were happy our request was fulfilled. The rooms were small, but adequate.The location of the rooms however were not great as there was a lot of traffic noise. Our rooms were located on the second floor, so I would make sure to request a higher floor. We enjoyed afternoon tea the day we arrived and it was quite nice. We were able to make a reservation one and one-half hours after we had arrived. We also enjoyed room service for breakfast and pre-ordered the night before for a specific time. They were very prompt, which we appreciated. Overall, I would recommend this hotel, but for a five star luxury hotel, we felt wi-fi should be included and was too expensive.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Daughter and I love to do Afternoon Tea.....
Lovely expansive room but on our visit , it was a little devoid of decoration in the way of embellished architectural features and art/ decor.... Which may soften the chatter and sounds of diners.
Staff were 'on the ball' and efficient.
The food........sandwiches were rather much par for the course, cakes/desserts were pleasant....they were ok, but what really surprised us was that there was potato chips (crisps), on the lower plate in the centre of the sandwiches....this seemed unnecessary and not appropriate for Afternoon Tea at all. The scones were small and...... Ok. Tea and coffee fine.
Daughter since has had taken Tea across the way and she and I will attend there when I return t Edinburgh next month. PS. Top of our list for best Afternoon Tea we have had to date was at Lake Louise Chateau, Lake Louise, Canada.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 12, 2013

The hotel is right in the center of the city, easy walking up through old town to the castle and equally easy to walk through sections of New Town for sightseeing or for shopping. It is right above the train station and the tour busses leave from right around the corner. Restaurants, cafes, pubs are all around. So location could not be better.
The hotel itself has a lot of character and is a warm place to return after a days outing. Our room, a junior suite, was quite large, with a king bed and two sitting areas.Great storage in the closet. It was charming in mixing old fashioned comfort with modern conveniences, tv, wifi and a new marble bathroom. There was good bedside lighting and the bed was comfortable EXCEPT that the king bed (as mentioned by others) is really twins so that there is an uncomfortable crack down the middle of the bed. That is really a drawback depending on how one sleeps. Wifi was good in the room, but it was expensive. The bathroom was well organized, with lots of shelf space for toiletry storage, very clean and good water pressure. Our bath had a vanity, which was oddly placed right across from the toilet, with the hairdryer hooked up at the vanity.
The service was very good, housekeeping, concierge etc. We ate at Hadrians for dinner twice and the food was realy excellent, though sometimes the service was a little slow. The breakfast buffet was ok but not great. We had a good deal on the room, if I paid full price I would have thought it was overpriced at the hotel. All in all I would happily return, and the four stars reflect the king bed setup, wifi and the lack of a thin curtain over the windows for privacy during the day when there was a building going up across from our room (the heavy curtains shut all light out )

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
balmoraledinburgh, General Manager at The Balmoral Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of The Balmoral following your recent stay. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, having found the location convenient, your room spacious with the blend of character and modern comforts mixing well, and the quality of food in the brasserie of an excellent standard.

I also appreciate your constructive feedback regarding some of the elements of your stay that we could improve upon and I will be sharing each of your points with the relevant teams to understand how we might avoid similar disappointment in the future. I am pleased to share that we can now offer complimentary internet to all guests who book directly on The Balmoral website.

I am glad to read that on balance you were impressed enough to entice you to stay with us again and I sincerely hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Yours sincerely

Franck X Arnold

Reviewed March 12, 2013

I didn't know anything about this hotel before arriving apart from booking on internet so it was with great satisfaction on arrival to walk into such a warm reception. The building is amazing and added to the experience of visiting such a historical city. The staff here are fantastic always helpful and they own any problems and deal with them immediately. The hotel itself was so clean I mean really clean corridors walls, lifts were all immaculate. Ask the concierge to help and they will immediately assist you. Every member of staff that passed us gave an appropriate greeting or held a door etc. I have stayed in may hotels but this definitely ranks at the top of my will visit and enjoy again list. There was no tea or coffee making facility which is my only criticism, I didn't ask about this during my stay but it did surprise me. This is the only thing about my short stay that I would like to have seen changed. If you are thinking of visiting Edinburgh make sure you visit this superb hotel even if it is simply for the fantastic selection of tea in the Palm Court. This might be over many peoples budget but it is well worth staying.

Room Tip: We stayed in an Executive Double which was lovely had everything we needed no tea or coffee facility...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We used the bar on saturday do to the scotland /wales game ad everywhere else being so busy ! all i can say is we had a fantatstic time pefect setting superb place and excellent staff ! The only down side drinks are a little expensive ie £5.95 for a pint but i suppose your paying for the venue which is acceptable ! Keep up the good work and will see you soon

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Had a an early Mother's Day evening here and you guys made it just a wonderful, evening. Nothing was too much and you went above an beyond. The cocktail made by JD almost had my mum in tears so she so overwhelmed by how special they made her feel. Thanks again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family