“Disappointing”
Review of The Balmoral Hotel

The Balmoral Hotel
Ranked #12 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Very disappointing check in experience- wanted to check in a bit early (1.30) as was not feeling well. Was told room was almost ready and waited in drawing room. 1.5 hours later still not ready, this was after 3 enquiries when we were told that the room was "almost ready", there was an apology and an explanation that the reason for the delay ws that we had requested a twin room. Needless to say was shocked when we arrived in our room to discover two single beds joined together with king sheets! This is not what I would expect by a twin room. At that point was tired and fed up so did not raise the issue, however at check out the following day I noticed a £3.95 charge- this was for a coffee I'd ordered during our long wait- I had assumed was complimentary, given our complaint at the time AND that we did not request or sign a bill. So at this stage I vented to the girl at reception about our experience, who was quite blasé in telling us that there was little she could do about our experience at that stage and that we should have complained earlier. Left quite a bad taste in our mouth as we left. Not what one would expect from a 5 star hotel. We won't be returning. Still feel upset about the amount of money I spent.

• Stayed: December 2012
8  Thank Stanlece

Reviewed December 10, 2012

We met some lovely friends for dinner and a stay over at The Balmoral in Edinburgh, somewhere we'd not been before. The Balmoral is a gorgeous old hotel, part of the Forte group, and has been around for 110 years. It's in a wonderful location, right on Princes Street, with views out to the Castle.

After an easy, friendly, check in we headed up to our room on the 5th floor. The room was very comfortable, with a queen sized bed, and a lovely big bathroom with a huge tub - bliss!

We had an early reservation at their very popular restaurant, Number One, but one of our party was delayed after many problems on the train from London, and the restaurant kept our table open for us whilst we waited in the bar for our friend.

We all had the Chef's Tasting Menu which was lovely, and our Sommelier was amazing - so friendly, helpful and always ready with a smile. The other staff were good, but the Sommelier was brilliant. The food was wonderful, as you would expect, and we had a ball. We only had two small disappointments:-

- Other tables were shown a bread trolley and given options to try different breads, but our bread came already cut in a basket and was put on the table without a word.
- You can choose to have a wine flight with your tasting menu, and two of us didn't want to have so much wine, so we asked if we could split the flight and have half a glass each but our waitress wouldn't even entertain the idea (which had been suggested to us by the amazing staff at at Andrew Fairlie).

Those tiny niggles aside, we had a great time, and it was even better that we could enjoy a fabulous night out and then just catch the lift up to our rooms, without anyone having to worry about travel.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 10, 2012

My ghilli said "there is no finer" - A man of knowledge so he was!
And we tried it and were not found wanting. A great and majestic place, imposing, and a statement of Scottish heritage.
I had fly-fished the Tay river and dropped off at Perth - an easy and enjoyable train ride into Edinborough, up the stairs from the station and home sweet home. It was that easy and despite the doubts of my wife, who was waiting for me, within the scope of my urban navigational skills.
Easy check in, a great room and all the boxes ticked with regard to bed, shower and cleanliness - The room was large, with a king bed, leaving only the restaurant. For me no problems, but my wife who is vegetarian was apprehensive. She need not have worried as the staff were able to suggest/arrange options to suit her non-haggis orientated taste - thanks guys.
The Balmoral is central down-town and provides easy access to every-where. The train station is just across the road, providing access to the rest of the known world..
Many say "a wonderful place to stay" - I agree, and will return.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

this is the 3rd time I have stayed here.... The experience is always fantastic! I wouldn't stay anywhere else when I'm in Edinburgh!! Service is second to none!!! I didn't want to come home... I must when staying here is cocktails in the Bollinger Bar. until next time <3

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Scotsciv
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We went to Edinburgh from Glasgow. This was a short notice trip. We were supposed to go to Bath but circumstances changed that. The room was very comfortable. The bed was great. Downside is wifi is extra so I did not use it, especially since it is Ibahn which is expensive and slow. What I like was the concierge and overall service. We could not get into the restaurant there and the bar was packed at tea. The concierge did a great job of sorting, and booking a great restaurant( the Wedgewood). It is expensive though.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Stayed there in June with my girlfriend. The hotel is very spacious, the common areas and the rooms. It has a decadent atmosphere which I enjoy very much. Price is very good (compared to london, don't know about the other local hotels). Service was good as well. Location is also good. I definitely recommend.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Having stayed at the hotel many times before, I decided to treat my stepmother for her 80th birthday. When booking, I was surprised at the price of a Classic room, £360 per night, and when I saw the rooms was appalled - they were small and soulless, and even the Wi-Fi was an additional cost. Sadly, my last stay there.

Room Tip: Find another posh hotel in Edinburgh
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank David G
balmoraledinburgh, General Manager at The Balmoral Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing The Balmoral as a treat for your stepmother's 80th birthday but I was sorry to read that you had some issues with your stay.

As with all hotels, the room rates fluctuate throughout the year depending on demand and I regret that you did not feel the room was value for money and was soulless. Due to the age of the hotel and being a listed building this means that each of our rooms is unique in size, decor and offer different views of the city and this is why many of our guests choose to stay with us.

I regret that you did not share your concerns with me and my team at the time as we would have taken all necessary action to provide you with a more suitable room to meet with your expectations. With regard to the wifi charges, we are currently reviewing this matter.

I would ask that you contact me directly on 0131 556 2414 to give me the opportunity to discuss the concerns you shared on your review and I sincerely hope that you will then reconsider and return to The Balmoral in the future.

Yours sincerely