“Stunning”
Review of The Balmoral Hotel

The Balmoral Hotel
Ranked #14 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Stayed here as part of our trip to Scotland.
Attention to detail is amazing and the service is out of this world.
Great location and stunning views of Edinburgh.
Great selection at breakfast and alot of food served.
Definetely recommend.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
balmoraledinburgh, General Manager at The Balmoral Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2012

Dear Guest

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and you were impressed with the quality of service, dining experience and attention to detail you received from my colleagues throughout the hotel during your stay.

We strive for guest satisfaction and service excellence and appreciate such positive feedback from our valued guests, as it inspires and motivates us to maintain the high level of service we continuously aim to provide.

Thank you once again and do visit us again at The Balmoral very soon.

Yours sincerely

Franck X Arnold

Reviewed November 16, 2012

We've stayed at The Balmoral before and when choosing a hotel to treat my partners sister for a big birthday, we picked this hotel because of the service, decor and views of the castle.

When arriving we were shown to our rooms, my sister in law and husbands room was amazing, just what we'd asked for, then for the same cost, my partner and I were shown to a room half the size. On booking several months earlier, my partner had requested the same rooms, castle view and next door to each other. We were way down the corridor.

I went to reception and complained that our room was smaller, we weren't together and initially was shown another room, a suite which was bigger but really old fashioned. Not what we wanted from our stay at The Balmoral. We then spoke to the manager and told her how disappointed we were and that I felt our room was over priced. She explained that they were looking at re-pricing some of their rooms which grated on me a little, why give a party two very different rooms in size when we would obviously compare?! And charge a hefty sum for it too?! When having the wardrobe door open you couldn't get to the bathroom!

Finally I was asked how much I felt was a fair price for the room and I said to which they agreed I could pay and move us the next night to a room of similar to the room our family was in.

Time to enjoy our stay?! Both mornings we were quizzed over breakfast bills and I was asked to sign, I explained that it was all part of our rate, apologises, until the next morning when it happened again! Embarassing in front of our family. There were several other little things that were just poor, nothing was right that we'd asked for even getting a decaf latte seemed a completely painful experience!

I'd had enough and complained again, getting the head of housekeeping/duty manager who I believe rescued the stay. She listened and then enshored that for the rest of our stay we were treated how I expect to be treated at The Balmoral. We had treatments booked, we were treated like special guests, we were booked into the Number One Restaurant and again were treated in an amazing way.

When we arrived back from our treatments there was a bottle of red wine (one which we'd drunk on previous occasion that we had stayed) waiting in our room with an apology and offer of any help/service. At last! The type of service I expect from The Balmoral!!

Good bits:
Sister in law had platter of fruit delivered to her room compliments of The Balmoral, on arrival she had a plate with cake and messages of happy birthday.

The bar and staff were excellent as always.

Treatments were amazing and the room that you go to afterwards, like a relaxing/chill out room was brilliant. There was thick fluffy throws to snuggle under, comfy chairs, low lighting and relaxing music. Brilliant. The pool is adequate and there are tea and coffee making facilities there.

Loved being in our bathroom with Sean Connery!!

The Number One restaurant. Food was absolutely amazing. Very attentive staff, great selection of dishes. It is pricey, but what you'd expect for a restaurant of this quality. At the end of the meal they produced a selection of small cakes, etc with 'Happy Birthday' written on the plate. My sister in law was chuffed. This was not prompted by us, so must have been the duty manager.

Overall, great location, great service that rescued a potential shocker!!

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank EmmaG13

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review following your recent stay at The Balmoral for your sister's special birthday celebration.

Firstly, I am sorry that the room you were allocated did not meet your expectations. Being that the hotel is a hundred and ten years old, each of our rooms are unique both in terms of size and décor and I do regret that you felt your room was not value for money. I am delighted that we resolved the situation for you and provided you with another room which was more suitable to your needs.

I am delighted that overall you enjoyed your stay, particularly your relaxing Spa treatment and your dining experience in our award winning, number one restaurant which exceeded your expectations.

We hope to have the pleasure of your company once again at The Balmoral in the not too distant future.

Yours sincerely

Franck X Arnold

Reviewed November 14, 2012

This is a lovely hotel in a great location. The staff are ALL friendly and the bedrooms are very comfortable. Can be pricey but worth it.
The No. 1 restaurant was a wonderful experience with both food and drink served superbly in a very comfortable lounge setting.
The pool area was the only let down with uncomfortable bed loungers and we only lasted 10 mins. before moving upstairs into our bedrooms and into our divine beds.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I loved the Balmoral with just 3 small things that need fixing.

The great things:

-Fabulous location in central Edinburgh
-Food was excellent. We ate in Number one, The Brasserie, and had room service, and it was all good, especially the breakfast selections which were vast.
-The staff were one of the best features. Whether the front desk, concierge or in the bar and restaurants, they well trained and efficient, helpful and knowledgeable and went out of their way to help.
-Room was a good size and was clean, comfortable, well laid out and very well serviced.

The 3 things that need fixing:

-Charging £15 for 24 hours of Wifi is archaic and makes no sense when most broadband costs are less than this for a month. I find it amazing that the cost of Wifi in hotels goes up with the number of stars. Wifi should be free as the hotel needs it anyway.
-The two computers made available to guests were free but useless, and printers didn't work. I mentioned this on day 1 and they still hadn't been fixed by day 4. Everything else I asked for in the hotel was attended to immediately and efficiently except for this, and every guest that I saw who tried to use them also finally gave up.
-The double glazing doesn't work, and if you are on one of the two road sides of the hotel, the road noise is unacceptable, even when you are on the 4th floor. We asked for(and quickly got) ear plugs, but without them sleep would have been impossible for a pair of country folk who are not used to big city traffic noise. We would have asked to be moved but hotel was full for NZ All Blacks being in town to play Scotland, being the same reason we were there.

My suggestion is that you request a quiet room when you book, as the hotel is excellent in every other aspect and I believe these 3 can be overcome, particularly if guest PCs can be made to work properly, negating Wifi need. We will definitely stay again if we can get an inner facing room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not road facing and as high as possible.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Hotel staff very friendly and location hard to beat. Our room was comfortable and finished to a high standard but it could have been larger, with the castle view requested (not a big deal but there was no mention or apology of that at check in). The bar has a relaxing, sophisticated atmosphere to have a drink in the evening. Breakfast was great, amazing selection and very well serviced. Overall, The Balmoral Hotel lived up to my high expectations but I still could not say it "wowed" - was about average for a 5-star.

One small criticism (being very picky here) - after calling room service to get our complimentary tea/coffee tray (odd not in room to start), a kettle (with boiled water) and sachets of instant coffee arrived. I must admit to expecting at least a cafetiere, if not filter coffee maker, in this hotel. Minor point but its these small touches that can define your overall feeling of a hotel, which is a shame as it could be so easily rectified.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank travellingscot007
Reviewed November 10, 2012

We have stayed here several times en route to scottish destinations and this time for a little shopping. Lovely suite with views overlooking a fog hugged castle.
Everything provided, great room service and bar.
Would highly recommend as great location for all aspects of this city.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed November 9, 2012

This hotel has style and staff that appear to really enjoy their work. From the welcome at the door on the breezy Edinburgh street through to the staff that greet you in the corridors that swirl round the grand staircase. None of the gadgets and complications of many refurbished hotels, just attention to comfort and service.
The spa has a pool that you can actually swim in and the therapists are skilled and charming. Expensive yes, but money well spent...

Room Tip: Good discount for spa therapies midweek.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family