“The Scottish Sojourn”

Ranked #10 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
New Delhi, India
“The Scottish Sojourn”
Reviewed January 24, 2012

The Balmoral Hotel is a wonderful luxury hotel in the very heart of Scotland. With its majestic clock tower, the hotel is a unique and contemporary luxury five-star collection in the midst of Edinburgh. The Balmoral offers opulent suites and stylish rooms.
We were lucky to get a room facing towards Edinburgh Castle and the Old Town. The cultural peep into the history through the windows of the room made one of the finest blend of luxury and craftsmanship. The signature Sir Walter Scott Suite of the hotel makes for an ideal incentive destination with an abundance of history and culture readily available.

An ultimate in relaxation, the Balmoral Spa is an exclusive retreat offering five treatment rooms, a 15 metre swimming pool, sauna, steam room, gymnasium and exercise studio. The Balmoral is the perfect choice for a luxurious city spa break. All this made our stay a perfect home away from home.

Room Tip: rooms facing the Edinburgh castle
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (658)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Fife
Reviewed January 24, 2012

We stayed at the Balmoral after Christmas to recover from the busy-ness. I arranged for a porter to meet us at Waverley Station, which he did and put me in a taxi to go up to the hotel and carried our bag top the room. All through our short stay all the staff were extremely helpful. We had booked a standard double, which sometimes means you look out over the dustbins (!) but we had a lovely view of Calton Hill. We ate one night at the main restaurant, which was expensive, but worth it. the only thing I had any complaint about was that it would have been helpful for me to have a nonslip mat in the bath as I suffer from MS and had a struggle getting out. I mentioned it on the comment card I filled in at the end of our stay and got and email the next day saying they would make a note of it for future visits and offering us an upgrade next time we book. All in all, we were delighted.

Room Tip: I only have experience of the room we stayed in, so I can't compare
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank annepeter
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2012

We travelled to Edinburgh on Sunday 15th of January after our Wedding the day before.

On our arrival the doorman and reception staff were excellent. Check in was smooth & friendly. The staff seemed to take a genuine interest in our wedding news.

Our receptionist showed us to our bedroom and gave us a tour of the hotel. Our luggage arrived quickly soon after and the porter congratulated us. The room was spotless! The kitchen staff had left us some home made chocolates, with 'Happy Honeymoon' This thoughtful touch really meant a lot to us.

We ate in Hadrians, the food was superb & the service was impeccable. Our waiter was fabulous & our complimentary glass of prosseco was a wonderful gesture. When we arrived back to our room, house keeping had turned down the bed and laid fresh rose petals for us.

This hotel is not only beautiful and in an excellent location, but it's staff an absolute credit to the Rocco Forte name. Thank you so much for an amazing honeymoon. We'll be back soon!

Mr & Mrs Taylor

• Stayed January 2012
Scotland
Reviewed January 23, 2012

Stayed recently for a night on one of the hotels own special deals. First room we went to had a few problems which the hotel were very quick to try to correct. In the end we received another room. Could not fault the service which is first class right down to the engineer who was very quick and very polite. The hotel service is something to behold, no one can do too much for you and the customer is always right. Wonderful to receive such service. Recommend it to anyone wishing a night of luxury.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lesley_B42
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed January 23, 2012

I am not sure if I have ever come across a more consistently excellent staff! From the reception desk to the waiting staff at Hadrian's, everyone was service-minded, correct, and friendly. A unique combination of courtesy and warmth meets the guests! The latter and the smartly decorated and equipped rooms make a stay at the Balmoral a very special treat! Already looking forward to a return! One small suggestion to the mgt: provide free wifi... It comes across as unnecessarily stingy to ask for guests to pay..add it to the rate of the room if you need to, but to have to pay the £6 or whatever for an hour ..hits one as "pennies wise and pounds foolish" behavior! The hotel is just too classy for this kind of petty, additional charge!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 1954WorldTraveller
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 17, 2012

I love this hotel so much. In fact every time I stay at the Balmoral Hotel I feel like I have come home. Joseph and his wonderful team on concierge make me feel so welcome. Everyone from the waiters in Hadrian's restaurant, to the events team and the housekeeping team remembers my name. They even know which magazines to put in my room and how I like my penne pasta to be cooked. I travel all over Europe with my job and I can safely say that I don't receive as good a service anywhere else. They even remembered my birthday!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank IsabelCLSA
Grangemouth
Reviewed January 17, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Balmoral in Edinburgh for a belated birthday treat. The service when we arrived was second to none. However, the first room we were given was very poor indeed. It was on the 6th floor (602), and can only be described as something that I would have expected in a Travel Lodge. It was dreadful. We went back to reception and were shown to another room which was lovely, just what we would have expected from a hotel of this standard. We didn't have dinner in the hotel, however we did have cocktails in the bar and the were fab. Breakfast was also excellent, however we had a long wait as our order had went adrift. The manager could not apologise enough, and we were not in a hurry, so it wasn't a big deal. The main thing I can say about this hotel is that the staff are second to none and I think this is what makes it a fantastic place to stay. We would definitely stay again. It is expensive (not posh), however I would imagine most people would know that before they booked.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple