“Fantastic service, lovely comfortable rooms & good value”

Hotel Indigo Edinburgh
Ranked #64 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Dorking
“Fantastic service, lovely comfortable rooms & good value”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I stayed at Hotel Indigo for three nights while on business in Edinburgh. The staff were great - friendly, helpful and professional but not overbearing. The room was large, very comfortable, clean and modern. The bed was gigantic. It was also half the price of the hotels a few minutes closer to the centre. It was easy walking distance of all of all central Edinburgh locations. The complimentary (alcohol free) mini bar was a bonus and included fresh milk. I'd definitely stay there again.

The room did only have a walk in shower (no bath), which I didn't realise (it was booked on my behalf), however it was nice and powerful.

The tram works are going on outside at the moment (in the day time only) so if you get a taxi, make sure you ask it to drop you near the Playhouse end of York Place, not the other end (unless you fancy a five minute walk!).

Room Tip: I was on the second floor at the front of the hotel and the room was great. It did only have a walk...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
DominicKutschera, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Dear Anne B

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a lovely review of your stay with us at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh.

I was delighted to read about you recent stay with us. We certainly are in a great location to explore all that Edinburgh has to offer. From the Playhouse theatre, over the designer shops on Multrees walk, to the bars and Pubs on Rose and George street.

Dominic

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 18, 2013

The first thing I have to say about this hotel is; beware if you have limited mobility, as at the moment you can only approach this hotel on FOOT!

Unfortunately we had lots of niggles with our stay & be warned that at the moment you cannot get near this hotel unless you walk…the tram works are right in front of the hotel and are currently preventing any traffic from being able to stop out side the Hotel Indigo, you can’t even drive down this road, let alone stop in front of the hotel. There was no mention of this anywhere when we booked…however on the plus side, the hotel did contact us prior to our stay and offered some paid for parking, necessary in the middle of Edinburgh…. Although when the guy came to give us the car park access he disappeared before we had the chance to ask him to take our bags….
On the whole this hotel has a lot of potential… We had been upgraded to an executive room, which was very nice, however it was still noisy as there were men digging up the road outside, for the tram works…
There was a free mini bar, with a few soft drinks and some milk for the tea & coffee making facilities. There’s a large hair dryer and some shelf storage & a wardrobe that was rather inaccessible due to the room layout...it was so near the bed that you could not open one side of it...the bathroom had a lovely double width shower, with a rain shower head and bathrobes - is this the exec room bit? And a very comfy bed :)
We didn't like having to re log in our iPhones every time we left the hotel! You can avoid this by faffing around bookmarking pages etc. but who wants to have to do that! & you have to have new log in details every 24 hours & do it all again...and different login details for each device you’d like to use….
The other issue we had been that the TV did not work when we tried to switch it on. The LAN cable at the back had come out... This was because the cables were so tight, if anyone moved or turned the TV- it's supposed to be able to swivel 180 degrees- the cable popped out... As the TV is at the bottom of the bed in the middle of the room and ‘designed to swivel’, not great!!!
They do serve a good cooked breakfast, although the continental breakfast looked a little sparse…
There are a lot of hotels in Edinburgh and although the staff are very good at this potentially good boutique hotel, this hotel currently seems a little complacent and not reaching it’s full potential…

Room Tip: The rooms at the front of the hotel currently suffer with noise from the road works for the tram ins...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Dear TravelFun24,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. Please allow us to apologize for the over all issues you had and any inconvenience you may have experienced during your stay. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and guest services are superior and strive to be the best hotel around. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class experience to our guests. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
freckles1982
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I was booked into Hotel Indigo by my employer as I was attending a conference. Having ended up in Travelsplodges in the past I was a bit worried... As it happened, hotel indigo was perfect for an overnight or even a coupe of nights, business, romance or a city break. The rooms are generously proportioned, beautifully decorated and cleverly equipped with fab toiletries, complimentary nibbles in the mini bar (SO nice not to get stung with a £4 charge for a can of juice!) intelligent use of ICT and sockets in all the right places ( hotels seem to get this wrong all the time). Very clean, very comfortable. Brekkie was good too, self serve continental and served hot food. I'll definitely be back! Well done Hotel indigo. x

Room Tip: As mentioned by others, there are currently tramworks outside ( and will probably be there for ages...
Dear freckles1982,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Indigo Edinburgh on your recent trip to the city.

I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed all the comforts of your bedroom and your breakfast at the Turquoise Thistle restaurant.

I have passed your feedback to our team and they were so happy to read it.

Tempe, Arizona, United States
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Found this place on the Internet. Booked here before a biz conference to see the city. Came in before midnight, tired, frazzled and without one of my bags. Staff were beyond welcoming; they helped me deal with the airlines.

This place is small and very personal. Within a day I felt I knew the staff and they knew me. Just one example: I mentioned that I tried to book the weekend after the conference but they were booked. On Monday, I got an email from Matt at the front desk saying a room opened up and they were holding it for me. This attention to details was the norm.

The room had a fabulous view of St. Mary's cathedral. While there is construction during my stay, it wasn't a problem with sleeping. The bed is comfortable; the room is well appointed. And I love the free Internet. (I spent 50% more at the conference hotel and only got 30 minutes per day free.)

The bar area is small and again, very personal. Felt safe there the entire time.

This hotel made my trip so enjoyable. I am definitely going back and taking my husband.

Room Tip: I was told that the rooms on the 4th floor has a lower ceiling. Not recommended for folks like my hu...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear Vickie S,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Indigo Edinburgh on your recent trip to the city.
The whole Indigo team and myself were so happy to read that you enjoyed both your stays with us. It was our pleasure to look after you while you were in the city for a conference.

We look forward to welcoming yourself and your husband back.

Hjärup
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Stayed two nights probably upgraded to one of the junior suites. Spacious and very good room. We were there during a weekend but the whole street outside is a working place which might be a sound problem during the weeks.
The "tapas" in the bar is just perfect. The continental breakfast was a little sparse out of a Swedish perspective but good. Would definetly recommend it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Johan B,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Indigo Edinburgh on your recent trip to the city.

York Place has now reopened for traffic between the Leith walk roundabout on the east and Elder Street on the west of the hotel. Direct access to the hotel is still restricted and we recommend to call our front desk team should you decide to travel by car.
All our rooms have excellent secondary glazing and it does a great job in keeping the hustle and bustle of our city centre outside so you can relax in your room.
Our chefs at the Turquoise Thistle restaurant take great pride in sourcing fantastic fresh local produce and we are so glad you enjoyed your experience at the restaurant and bar.

Stay curious,

Reviewed June 16, 2013

The hotel was amazing. The rooms are really clean and very modern with a huge bathroom and a complimentary mini bar which is always a bonus. The staff are so friendly they will do anything for you. We went for my girlfriends birthday and they put rose petals on the bed with a birthday card and some little treats freshly made by the chef aswell as a welcome message with her name on the tv in the room. Overall superb hotel best hotel ive stayed in within the uk.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Jamessmitherz,

I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed all the comforts of your bedroom and that my team were able to take such good care of you during your stay. I am glad that yourself and your girlfriend had a great stay to celebrate your girlfriends birthday.

Stay Original,

Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

Good clean hotel in a very good central location

It will be a lot better when the tramworks currently blocking the approach are done with.

Excellent service , good staff , good breakfast , excellent TV, well appointed rooms

Overall a good experience

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Connoissiyer
Dear Connoissiver,

Thank you very much for writing a great review of your stay with us at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh.
We love our neighbourhood. We are in a great location to explore all that Edinburgh has to offer. From the Playhouse theatre or the designer shops on Multrees walk, to the bars and Pubs on Rose and George street.

I hope that we can welcome you back soon.