“Hotel was decent but VERY noisy”

Hotel Indigo Edinburgh
Ranked #55 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Preston, United Kingdom
“Hotel was decent but VERY noisy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

I booked a weekend here for a 2 night stay for me and my Fiancé, and decided to go for the deluxe king size room (the second biggest room behind the suite).
The room itself was nicely decorated but probably not as big as I would have expected, or have stayed in in the past at similar spec hotels. Bed was comfy and the receptionist was nice on arrival and she helped with bags and gave us a tour of the room.
I rang up beforehand and asked for a bottle of house rosé in the room on arrival. The price was not given, and £17 for a bottle of wine at checkout was a big surprise!! The receptionist also said he would put us in a room available at the back of the hotel (302) - I wish he hadn't as we were right next to the lift!

Now I suffer from bad sleeping problems which can often leave me with little sleep - something which I have never experienced at a hotel before, as most are nice and quiet.
I must say I had two nights of VERY little if no sleep which made me quite unwell for the two days, with bad headaches and nausea - this was due to INTERIOR noise from the hotel and not street noise.
The noise from outside the room where the lift was and people walking past was atrocious, as well as whoever was staying in the room above walking about in shoes.
I think the hotel have squeezed every guest in the same area of the hotel, as when we explored other parts of the hotel it was extremely quiet. I think they have missed a trick here and not spread guests out enough.
Both me and my other half were kept awake with every shut of a door, walking about in the room above (Not the guest's fault as they didn't know), talking in the corridor outside our room, unwelcome intimate noises in the middle of the night, even the turning on of a light switch could be heard in the room next to us! It really was a joke and I have never experienced anything like it, especially in a hotel that appears nice and has great reviews.

Now I am not one to leave negative reviews unless I really feel I need to, and you won't see me SEARCHING for a scuff mark to take a picture of and leave a bad review based on there being a hair in the sink on arrival - trust me I have read some comical negative reviews in my time. I just feel that this is a serious issue that affected our stay in what should have otherwise been a nice stay, as Edinburgh is an AMAZING place!

Also on checkout we were told that we couldn't leave our car in the car park on Sunday afternoon which we had paid £24 for the weekend, and had to be out as soon as we checked out - it was a SUNDAY afternoon and there were about 5 cars in a car park able to fit 25+ cars, but still we had to drive around for ages looking for another spot elsewhere. I don't know how many guests had paid for the car park on a Sunday night but I doubt us being there for a few extra hours would have caused an issue. I originally wrote this review with a 3 star rating in mind but now I have written down the problems and read them back, I am unfortunately going to knock it down to a 2 star!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ben H
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Dear Ben H,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your comments. I understand that having a good night sleep is important and it sounds like we fell below your expectations. I am sorry for any inconvenience you experienced due to the outside noise. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Ferdinand G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

A truly wonderful hotel. Lots of lovely little extras and the room was so quiet and probably the best room i have ever stayed in within a hotel. The staff were extremely helpful and although we only had a snack in the bar,the food was great.

Room Tip: Would definitely recommend a "King Bed" room.
1 Thank Ann S
DominicKutschera, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear Ann,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a lovely review of your stay with us at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh.

I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed all the comforts of our hotel. All our rooms come with complimentary welcome mini bar with snacks, soft drinks and also fresh milk for your morning coffee or tea. We also have excellent secondary glazing in all rooms which keeps the busy city center out when you want to relax from a day of sightseeing or shopping.

I will certainly pass your comments on to our team and I hope that we can welcome you back to our neighbourhood soon.

glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

Fantastic!! That about sums it up. A stones throw from the Playhouse and about 10 mins walk from Waverley station this is an ideal location for any trip to Edinburgh as it is so close to many of the city's attractions, restaurants and bars. The room was just gorgeous with luxurious furnishings and complimentary mini bar is a great extra in the room.

The restaurant is another gem in this hotel. The food was delicious and well priced with fantastic service from the staff. Breakfast in the restaurant was also excellent

From the moment we arrived til we checked out, we received nothing but fantastic service from all staff, who were extremely friendly and helpful. A real asset to the hotel.

The only problem? - we only stayed 1 night - would have happily stayed longer :)

Had a fantastic stay (although short) in Hotel Indigo and will defintely return.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bobsam
DominicKutschera, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Dear BobSam,

Thank you very much for writing such kind words about your stay with us at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh.

I am delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with. We are ideally located to explore everything Edinburgh has to offer and you are right, being just around the corner from the UK's biggest theatre, the Edinburgh Playhouse, we are also the perfect hotel for a theatre break.

Our neighbourhood has lot's of hidden gems to explore and our Turquoise Thistle restaurant is certainly one of them. Dan Mellor our head chef is very passionate about only sourcing the freshest local produce and you can certainly taste this not only in the dishes served at dinner but also at breakfast and afternoon tea.

I hope that we can welcome you back soon and maybe for a few more days this time.

Stay original,

Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Indigo as a birthday treat the weekend before Christmas.The reception staff were charming and our room was really fab! Decor was very contemporary - I just loved the chaise lounge - and the room and bathroom spotlass. The coffee machine and free mini bar ( soft drinks and snacks and fresh milk) was a real bonus! As the weather was so dreadful we cancelled our restaurant booking and stayed in and had a meal with room service - again couldn't be faulted.
I could most certainly recommend this hotel and infact we rated it better than the Glasshouse (which is just around the corner) when we stayed there last year.

Dear Alfie,

I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your birthday treat. We wish we could control the Scottish weather but it is great to hear that you have enjoyed our room service menu.

I will certainly pass your kind comments on to our team and I hope that we can welcome you back to our neighbourhood soon.

Ayrshire (Scotland)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

Absolutely loved the hotel and how attentive the staff were apart from one particularly arrogant and 'snooty' guy called Albert. On checking in, one of the other members of staff who was extremely pleasant and welcoming seemed eager to get us to our room, however, Albert was less keen as we had turned up early. He was also rather rude and spoke down to his colleague who was doing his best to organise us checking in early. We are a young couple and felt he was maybe looking down on us, however, there is a good chance he is like this with everybody and if this is the case he should not be in a job dealing with customer satisfaction. As far as the hotel was, the room was excellent, clean, spacious and excellent value for money. The breakfast was brilliant and the staff were keen to help (other than Albert). On checking out, the staff were again extremely pleasant other than Albert who refused to even acknowledge us. I had never experienced anyone as rude in his position prior to this. I would definitely go back to this hotel and hope that I did not encounter this man again as it really really annoyed me the fact he seemed 'too good' to treat us like human beings.

Room Tip: Book 21 days in advance for a savers rate.
1 Thank kboom35
DominicKutschera, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear KBoom35,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh.

I am disappointed to hear that you were not made to feel welcome on arrival. We aim to check all our guests in as soon as possible or at the very least we will store your luggage so you can venture out into our neighbourhood and explore all the fantastic sites Edinburgh has to offer.

I glad to hear that you have found the majority of our team to be welcoming and pleasant. Our full Scottish breakfast is cooked to order and it certainly set's you up for a great day of exploring.

Please do accept my apologies for the way you have been made to feel when checking in. I will certainly discuss this with our Front desk manager and her team.

Stay original,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed for 2nights over the new year break, I had arranged this for a party of 16 adults so as you can imagine the task itself of organising this was a challenge, however it was made stress free by the exceptional service received from booking to leaving the hotel. The rooms are spotless clean, decor is modern and colourful and complimentary mini bar and toiletries adds a lovely touch. We ate in the restaurant on New Year's Eve and the quality of the food was fab and excellent value for money, breakfast was also fantastic, freshly cooked to order, great variety on the menu - we could not fault it. I have to say though the main thing that made this hotel for my party and I was the customer service and friendliness from every single staff member, from start to finish even with such a large group and considering the hotel was full they could not do enough for us, I would recommend this hotel to all and will definitely be returning.
Donna Quarrell & party - stay 30th Dec - 1st Jan 2012/13.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Donna,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such kind words about your stay with us at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh.

It was a pleasure to welcome you and your party for Hogmanay. I am delighted that you have enjoyed the comfort of our rooms, the friendliness of our staff and also the food in our Turquoise Thistle restaurant. We pride ourselves in delivering personable service and it gives us a great boost when our guest enjoy their stay.

I will certainly forward your comments to our team. I hope you have enjoyed your Hogmanay celebration and hopefully we will be able to welcome you back soon.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

A great hotel, excellent location and fantastic staff. The breakfast was delicious. Definitely a hidden gem in Edinburgh! We stayed here over Hogmanay and it was amazing. The staff were so attentive, when I complained that I had full fat milk in the fridge in the room, the staff came in and replaced it with semi skimmed. The attention to detail was sublime! I can't recommend it enough!

• Stayed December 2012
Dear KimHL,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such lovely comments about your stay with us at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh.

I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed our hotel during your Hogmanay stay. I will certainly pass your comments on to our team. It gives us a great boost when our guest enjoy their stay.

Thank you for staying with us and I hope that we can welcome you back soon.