“Desk staff- RUDE”

Hotel Indigo Edinburgh
Ranked #71 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Sadly this hotel, while perfectly located, and completely brilliant as far as lay-out, design and top notch linen, beds, and towels... the staff is, at best, abrupt but far along the lines of rude. They have no idea who you are, even if you had been at the desk and spoke with the same person 10 minutes earlier, they will struggle to know that you are even a guest in their small hotel.

I literally watched the other day as one of the front desk people assisted two girls into the hotel. He carried the one's luggage and let the other struggle trying to pull her heavy bag up the stairs. He had long went inside before the other young lady had been able to pull her one bag up a single step.

Room service- while they are fast, the food is not great. God forbid you order something that is not good, as there is no apology, no replacement, and certainly, no taking it off the bill... even if you couldn't eat it because it was so bad.

The housekeeping staff is lovely. They are very good, and they are extraordinarily polite. I think perhaps a switch of front of houe staff with the back of house staff would prove to be a cosmic step in the right direction for this well located, albeit a tad pricey, little gem.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Tantric1
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2012

Dear Tantric1,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your experience with us. I am pleased our location suited you well and glad our hotel exceeded your expectations. I am sorry you were not fully satisfied with the service you received from our front desk staff and regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel. Your feedback will be taken into consideration in our efforts to continually monitor and improve the quality and services we offer.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and I hope that you will consider us again on your next travel.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare

There are newer reviews for Hotel Indigo Edinburgh

Reviewed July 28, 2012

A great hotel with very nice location, excellent service, well cleaned, modern and cosy rooms, helpful staff and nice atmosphere.A little expensive, but all hotels in Edinburgh are expensive, so comparatively provides good value. Recommended overall.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights and we were impressed with the quality of the rooms and the service. The hotel is quite new and some of the issues mentioned in early reviews seem to have been resolved. The rooms are large and have very nice decor. Also enjoyed a great cooked breakfast on the sunday with vg service. Car parking was also very handy. I left my phone charger behind and hotel were helpful at hanging on to it til a friend could collect.
It's also very good value compared with other Edinburgh hotels which are all pushing the 200gbp mark these days. Highly recommend you give the indigo a try. Location is also very convenient for centre of town. Albert the concierge was very helpful.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 28, 2012

We recently stayed here for a week and I have to say it was fantastic. We have a two month old daughter and they staff did everything to make things easy for us. The room was clean, modern, big, well equipped. I really do think this is one of the best city hotels I have stayed at in a long time. When we asked staff for help on directions around the city they went out of their way to provide extra information. The hotel was extremely well priced for the quality and facilities.

Room Tip: Upgrade is well worth the money!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 27, 2012 via mobile

The room was lovely, There were freshly baked cookies and shortbread in the room on arrival. Mini bar is free. There is a great selection of TV channels and every type of connection you would ever need for you computer etc. the decor is modern and unique. The bed was very nice and comfortable and had high quality linen. I had room service which was very good and prompt and breakfast was amazing. I will definately be returning next time I have business in Edinburgh.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank BenJones0001
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We must first make the point to say we knew this was going to be a bit expensive, but we wanted to pay a little more for the luxury and the location of this hotel. This is a part of the Holiday Inn hotel chain, but more upscale, I believe.
The room was beautifully decorated with modern amenities. The bed was comfortable, but we seemed to roll together a lot, thankfully we don't mind being close. The mini fridge stocked with water, soda, and snacks as well as the selection of teas, coffees and biscuits was a welcome sight for tired travelers. The rain shower was fantastic and the provided robes were comfortable. The hotel offers free WiFi, and even though you have to renew the connection of the device after 24 hours, the reception provided us with plenty of codes for the length of our stay.
We purchased the breakfast ahead of time, which proved a better deal than paying for it that morning. The restaurant provided plenty of options with a continental buffet while the chef prepared the Full Scottish. It was tasty and kept us full for the sight seeing during the day.
The staff were very pleasant and friendly overall, but, I wasn't sure if I was supposed to tip the concierge that showed us to our room. He offered to carry our bags, but since they were backpacks, we carried them ourselves. He lingered a bit at the door, and it didn't dawn on me until later that maybe I should have tipped him. it was a bit awkward, even though he was really friendly and helpful. It's probably just me.
We stayed in room 303, which was very cozy, but a little small. We didn't spend a lot of time in the room during the day, so this wasn't a problem. Overall, this is a great hotel and I would recommend it for the amenities alone. We would stay again for sure, but there might be other options in the area that might provide the same amenities for less money.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Stayed here a couple of times and a great all round hotel. Nice rooms , pleasant staff and good central location . The road outside is currently closed to all traffic accept buses so if you are travelling by car you cannot stop outside the hotel. The cooked breakfast at the hotel is one of the best I have had and good to get it freshly cooked to order and I can't remember the last time I did not have to make my own toast ..... A refreshing change. Look forward to my next stay.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends