“Lovely mini break”

GreenLeadersGold level
West Sussex U.K
“Lovely mini break”
Reviewed October 24, 2011

Beautiful Hotel and Spa with free parking and use of all spa facilities. Staff were very friendly and always helpful. Free wi-fi was an added bonus too. Our only criticism was there was not a lot of choice on the restaurant menu, we only stayed 3 nights on a leisure break (Half board) so were fine but felt that if we had stayed another night we would of been struggling for a different choice on the menu, especially as i don't eat fish. There is a Bistro bar which serves different food, but as we like to eat in the restaurant we felt the choices were a little limited. However the food was wonderful on all three evenings, and breakfast was great too. The hotel is approx 20 mins drive from the centre of Edinburgh but there is a very good bus service that stops right outside the hotel if you prefer. We had a lovely stay and would definately visit again.

Room Tip: We had club rooms which were great, very spacious and comfortable, with a wonderful shower too.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
gutterblid, Manager at Best Western Kings Manor Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2011
Thank you for your comments on your recent stay. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. Lauders Restaurant has a standard menu with daily ‘specials’ added to it giving a choice of around 10 items for each course. I do take your comment that the choice gets repetitive if you dine several nights in a row.
As we are fully reviewing our restaurant service at the moment I shall raise your comments with my colleagues to see if we can add more choice for any future stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Hungarian first
North Yorkshire
Reviewed October 22, 2011

I stayed at the Kings Manor Best Western on October 10th in a single room for £40 which was very reasonable considering the facilities on offer. I had parking for my stay, free wifi which was very useful and the use of the pool and whirlpool which I thoroughly enjoyed. As I was alone that night before meeting my husband the next day it was important to me that I felt secure. I was able to go through to the bar and bistro area for my evening meal without leaving the building and therein I had a decent portion of fish and chips for £9.25 with a glass of red wine which although was nice the price was absolutely scandalous at £6.00. This is the reason my score for the hotel wasn't a five star rating. This price cannot be justified really. That aside, I found all of the staff to be welcoming and professional and the hotel was warm and clean throughout. I did not take the breakfast option so cannot comment on that but would say all in all I would stay there again and would recommend it to my friends. Also worth mentioning is the ease of which it is to get into town with the number 44 bus available close by for £1.30 a trip.

Room Tip: Just shop around and get a good price
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Thank you for your comments. Safety of all our guests is always a first priority at The Kings Manor. Whilst we are lucky to live in a very safe city and a very safe part of the city we do take several precautions to ensure that our guests not only are safe but feel safe.
I have checked on your comments regarding a glass of wine. Our range of house wine costs £2.60 for a 125ml glass, a 175ml glass costs £3.70 and a 250ml glass is £5.20. We also have a small range of slighter higher quality wines that we sell at £6 for a 250ml glass – that is 1/3 of a bottle and I think £6 is a fair price for 1/3 of a bottle of these quality wines. It may be that the range is glass sizes and wines was not fully explained to you during your stay. I have raised this with the food and beverage manager to ensure that staff are fully explaining all options. Thank you.
Oldham
Reviewed October 21, 2011

I chose the Knig's Manor as our base to the East of Edinburgh because we were visiting my son who had just moved to Musselburgh, this being about half way between it and Waverley station and on a frequent bus route.

We had a comfortable room on the third floor, although it's floor creaked a little. As I have found elsewhere I could only access the wifi by going down to reception.

Breakfast was typically British and of good quality.

The only glitch was not the hotel's fault. We had booked through LastMinute.com and as it seems to be an agent for the hotel's agent it hadn't worked through to the hotel's system that we had already paid. Fortunately I had the lastminute.com print out so the matter was quickly settled. (while also revealing the size of the lastminute.cons commission. I'll think twice before using them again.)

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
gutterblid, Manager at Best Western Kings Manor Hotel, responded to this review, November 10, 2011
Thanks for your comments on your recent stay with us, I am sorry that you had problems with the free WiFi service. There are 2 separate node points on that floor and signal is usually very good. If you have any similar issues on future stays please let us know and we can check it out for you. Out maintenance team has check the signal and today , at least, it is definitely working at full strength in that area.
Bookings made directly with us either by phone , by email or no our web site are guaranteed to be the best rate available anywhere. Please book with us directly the next time to ensure that you get the best deal possible.
Thanks for your comments.
Reviewed October 19, 2011

Had a great stay at the kings manor. The spa faccilities are wonderful and the service was great! Not the best shower in the world but the other good parts make yo for it e.g the food at the restaurant and bistro are good! Would reccomend to anyone

• Stayed October 2011
Thank you for your comments. Many of our showers are fitted with water savers that can restrict the flow of the water to save waste as part of our environmental commitment. Occasionally these may need to be adjusted to give a good flow so that it can be used for its purpose. If you could email the hotel with the room number I can get our plumbing team to check if this is the case here. I am delighted that the rest of your stay was enjoyable
Glasgow
Reviewed October 15, 2011

This was our second visit to Kings Manor and we once again had a very enjoyable stay. We were lucky enough to be allocated a Club room, which was spacious and very well equipped. All the staff were excellent and made one feel like a valued guest. The Leisure Club was also excellent. Bus service into the centre of Edinburgh was excellent.

The hotel has free WiFi throughout, which is most useful.

The 44 bus stops outside the hotel and makes getting to and from Edinburgh City Centre very easy. There is also a railway station nearby. We mostly left the car at the hotel and travelled by bus.

The only slight reservation was that one of the starters in the Lauders restaurant (the Chef's special!!!) was still frozen in the middle. The price of the starters was deducted from our bill, but as we were on a DBB package, this did not affect the final bill to any extent.

Overall, an excellent stay and we will be back.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind comments. I am sorry that your meal was not as good as it could have been. I know that the kitchen brigade were aware of the error and hopefully we can avoid a repetition in the future. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and hope that we can welcome you back in the near future.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 13, 2011

This is a great place to stay. Very homely and the staff can't do enough to make you feel so welcome . Swimming pool facilities are really good as well. A great way to work of that hearty breakfast! Free wifi is a nice touch. Will come back again for sure.

• Stayed October 2011
Thanks for your kind comments I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 10, 2011

We wanted to visit the Edinburgh tourist attractions but had a car to park. Nearly all the central hotels we looked at had limited or zero parking. This Hotel was Nth' West of the main center but had its own parking and a 44 bus route outside (£1.30 each) approx' 20 min direct to city centre. Worked out very well.
In previous years we had avoided Best Western as mostly, they seemed old and jaded but recently we have used several of them as they seem to have splashed some cash and upgraded them. This one was very clean and smart.
We had also joined the B'Western rewards card earlier and this got us a free upgrade as a Exec' room was available. They allowed us to stay an extra couple of hours on the last morning so as we could utilise the pool and steam rooms before we drove back to Surrey,
It was also a good base for driving the 10 min' to Ocean Terminal where we visited the Royal Yacht Brittania. A must do. Ocean terminal also had plenty of shops, resturants and a Vue cinema which we utilised. (Utilised the hotel computer/printer to find and print some discount vouchers for resturants before we set off to Ocean Term')
We found the weather very wet, windy and cold (October 'up-north'), so take a fleece at least.
This is the first time we have added a review to Trip Advisor so hope it helps.

Room Tip: Join the B'Western rewards card before you book
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your comments. I am delighted that you enjoyed your short stay with us. Guests can join the Best Western rewards scheme on the Best Western UK web site or on arrival at the hotel. You can gain rewards points on stays at over 270 Best western hotels in the UK and over 3000 worldwide. You may not be aware that Best Western do not own any hotels. All hotels are owned and managed by individual owners and operators The Kings Manor has been owned and run by the same family since 1976. They also own and operate 2 hotels in Fife, both personally managed by family members. To join Best Western a hotel must pass an exacting inspection and each year is re inspected to ensure standards are maintained. It has been Best Westerns policy or ‘raising the bar’ each year on these inspections so that each hotels minimum standard has to improve to stay within the orginisation. Several hotels over the past few years have not managed to keep pace and have left the orginisation. The result to the customer , as you testify, is a much improved quality in each hotel.