“Good value hotel for visiting Edinburgh although not central”

Best Western Kings Manor Hotel
Ranked #47 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 1, 2011

Bought a weekend break package on Ebay for my partner for Christmas and was very pleased with the deal which included chocolates and flowers in the room.
Have stayed at Best Westerns before and they have always been fine - this one was no exception.
The hotel is about 15 minutes from the centre of Edinburgh. We caught buses everywhere - very regular and very cheap and with parking difficult in the city, this is the easiest way to travel. However if you want to be in the centre of things, then this is not the hotel to stay in.
Facilities at the hotel were good with a fair sized swimming pool, jacuzzi and a sauna and steam room available. Changing areas were modern and clean and staff were helpful and friendly. The room itself was fine - we were in the older part of the building and quiet which was a bonus.
We ate in the bistro on the first night and the food was very good. Breakfast was good and plentiful although the layout of the buffet could have been improved - for example, the cereals, fruits, yoghurts etc. were situated at the end of the line where hot foodstuffs were being served. Consequently guest who wanted cereal either had to wait in line with guests wanting a cooked breakfast or otherwise had to jump in to try to get the cereals they wanted. However this was a minor point - all the staff in the hotel were very friendly and helpful.
We didn't eat in the main restaurant, spending the second evening in the city with friends. However the food looked good and was reasonably priced for a hotel.
Overall a good, very reasonably priced break. Recommended

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
gutterblid, Manager at Best Western Kings Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. We have been selling short breaks on Ebay for 5 years now and certainly many guests have managed to get a bargain stay. I am delighted that you enjoyed it. I have noted your comments about breakfast layout and we will look at that to see if we can improve things.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,305)

Reviewed April 30, 2011

We stayed three days at the Kings Manor on our visit to Edinburgh. It is an older hotel away from downtown. There is excellent local bus service from a stop in front of the hotel every 20 minutes to downtown. The bus fare was 1.30 pounds and takes about 35 minutes to get to the center of town. (Be careful if you buy the 3.20 daily pass as there are two bus companies that run the route and the passes are not good on both.) There is also a train station about five minutes from the hotel (check the schedule) and trains take only about 10 minutes to downtown. The hotel is older but kept in excellent shape. There were people working in the public areas cleaning and painting the entire time we were there. Our room was very nice and comfortable. They serve a nice buffet breakfast. We had dinner in the dining room one night. The food was good but there was not a great selection. We enjoyed dinner the second night in the bistro better. There is also a full service health club and spa attached to the hotel. We used the gym each day. There is also a beautiful indoor pool for guest use.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and found the location convenient. I note your comments regarding dinner in Lauders Restaurant. Our long awaited new Dinner menu will be starting this week it should offer a wide choice enough choice for most tastes. I hope the painters were not in your way we have just installed a new carp[et over the entire public area of the ground floor so some touching up of the paintwork was in order to help keep up appearances.

Reviewed April 30, 2011

Stayed here over the weekend to attend a family wedding, plenty of parking, lovely welcome at reception, room great, we were in one of the club rooms, large airy room, excellent en-suite, large Flatscreen Sony Tv with all the Digital Channels, only 10-15 minutes maximum on teh bus right outside the hotel to the town centre, and they arrive very 20 minutes...Fantastic Pool, Gym and Spa area, all included int he cost....Buffet style breakfast, table was not reset properly, no side plates, and had to ask for butter, but its buffet style relaxed, not formal dinner, so go with the flow...Had lunch in the bistro very tasty, very good vaue for money, and very busy for a hotel away fron the ciity centre, if the locals are eating here, that tells you its good...All in all a great 2 nights stay, good nights sleep in very comfy beds...at an excellent rate £90 per night for 2 adults and 1 teenager,,,,

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for your comments I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. Thanks for you comment about breakfast. I will draw staffs attention to this, it will help keep us on our toes! I hope that we have the pleasure in welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed April 29, 2011

I picked this hotel because of Trip Advisor and Trip Advisor (almost!) never leads me astray. This was NOT a good experience.

Nothing was horrible- except perhaps the room size. Do NOT stay in room 218 - it was maybe 10 feet by 6 feet - extremely small twin bed (but pretty comfortable bedding :). There were three channels total on the TV and the light fan in the bathroom went on ten minutes after the light was turned off. There was a horrible brown bedspread that was right out of the 70s. The whole room was very ugly with a tiny window.

As other reviews stated, there is in fact a bus outside the hotel that takes you into the center of town- but it takes 25 minutes or so to do so -waaay too long for me, and if I'd known how long that would take, I'd have stayed closer into the major tourist destinations. It's also HARD to figure out where to get off to get into town. It's a ten pound ($16) taxi ride to the hotel, so I spent the $60 on cabs I would have paid for a much better hotel room elsewhere.

The pretty pictures on the web site are rubbish and untrue. I was awoken repeatedly at 6:45 a.m. by the fire doors slamming shut and open, and other guests' doors opening. It was loud.

I wouldn't stay here again. It wasn't a horrible experience- it just wasn't good and wasn't worth the money for being so far from the City Center. If I'm going to spend $100 per night during shoulder-season, I expect a nice room, and I didn't get one.

Room Tip: Don't accept room 218!!!
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo

Thank you for your comments I am disappointed in them on two parts. Firstly because you did not enjoy your stay and this obviouslyaffected your enjoyment of your entire holiday. Secondly I am disappointed that you did not have the confidence in us to let us try to fix some of the things for you while you were here, and therefore help you to enjoy your stay more, rather than offer apologies and regrets after you have returned home.
In each bedroom is a personally signed letter from Les Solley the hotels director for nearly 40 years. Amongst other things Les points out is that we are here to serve you, and if anything is wrong tell us and we will try to fix it. It is unfortunate that you never gave us the chance to do so.
Can I cover some of the points that you make. The room that you were in is indeed one of our smaller rooms. The original part of the hotel was built in the 1840s and various extensions added over the years. That particular room was built in the 1970s as was a good sized room – for then . Since then we have added, tea/coffee facilities, tvs, ironing facilities , extra chairs and not least King or Queen sized beds. All that makes the room more cluttered and look small with all the furnishing in it. We are looking at several options with these rooms such as knocking 3 rooms into 2 to provide rooms more suited to our current requirements. I should point out that the room is considerable bigger than 10 by 6 or we would not get a 6 foot 3 bed in it. It has been completely refurbished within the past two years , including the ‘1970’s’ bedspread.
Having said that the room is one of our smaller rooms it is also one of our more popular rooms as people find it ‘cosy’ . Obviously this was not the case with yourself. If the room did not suit your needs we could have certainly looked at moving you to another room. It may not have been possible to do so on your first night but I would have been very surprised if we could not have found something more suitable for the rest of your stay.
Similarly defects with tv channels could have been fixed instantly by any of our Duty Managers , had it been reported to them, by simply auto-retuning the set. Adjusting the fan timer is also an easy task for our maintenance team if they were aware of any perceived problem. Unfortunately we were unaware of any such problems.
I am surprised that even our much praised local bus system comes in for criticism. As you will see it is universally praised by other reviews. If you did not have 20 to 25 minutes to sit on the bus and watch the architecture, hills, coast and parks of Europe’s most stunning city’s go past you then the option of the 8 minute transfer from nearby Brunstane station may have been an option for you. Details of both services are in the bedroom room information folders or available as a leaflet in reception.
The attraction of being on the doorstep of all the attractions and bustle of a city are obvious but the down side of late night and early morning noise, expensive or no car parking, and city centre prices must be weighed up by each individual. We are fortunate that many guests enjoy the peaceful surrounds and facilities of the hotel while having the city centre only a single bus or train journey away.
I am truly sorry that we could not make your stay more pleasant. I hope that it has not deterred you from visiting our fantastic city again in the future.

Reviewed April 15, 2011

The Kings Manor is a welcoming hotel on the edge of the city, within easy reach of the City Centre shops & attractions and also those on the edge of the city and surrounding area. It provides early check in (3pm) and late check out (11am) making it perfect for a one nights stay and enough time to enjoy the full facilities the hotel has to offer including a Spa.

We stayed in a 'standard' room but it was a 'high' standard room, it didn't feel 'second class'. It was well decorated and modern, with a comfy double bed and a 'Sony' flat screen TV! The bathroom was average in size but very clean and modern finishes & the shower was great!

15minutes after we had been shown to our room, there was a call from reception to make sure everything with the room was to the standard we expected-which it was and more.

In the evening we relaxed in the pool & leisure club. The changing rooms were clean and modern with sizeable lockers and great showers. The pool was spacious and had dedicated lanes for swimming. There is whirlpool spa at the edge of the pool and a sauna & steamroom.

Later on we decided to eat in Lauders Restaurant. We could have eaten in the Options Bistro which was modern, well furnished and a menu to cater for all tastes, but with a big match on the screen and busy with familes with younger children, we opted for Lauders Restaurant.

It was a peaceful & relaxing environment. The menu was mouthwatering just reading it. We were offered a jug of iced water and a complimentary taster dish of finely sliced crispy baked parsnips drizzled in honey, which really got the tastebuds sizzling. For starters we had Haggis fritters with a creamy whiskey sauce & sauted mushrooms with a four cheese sauce and toasted bruchetta - delicious.

For main courses we had Coq au Vin & and a shin of beef - both tender and falling of the fork. the seasonal veg was perfectly cooked.

To finish we had a Creme Brule and a plate of cheese. The Creme Brule was sweet and tasty and the plate of cheese included homemade chutney, nuts, grapes and celery.

This was all washed down with a Bottle of South African Pinotage, a coffee then we retired to 'Bar Zest' for a drink before bed.

The next morning there was a buffet breakfast with a choice of cooked and continental including muffins and pastries.

There was still enough time to relax in the room without disruption form housekeeping before checking out.

A relaxing night away and would recommend the hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
gutterblid, Manager at Best Western Kings Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2011

Dear nahawick
Thank you for taking the time to list so comprehensively how your stay was. It is extremely gratifying that someone should take such obvious pains to express their satisfaction. I will ensure that all staff are aware of your comments I am certain that they will be heartened by them. I hope that we can host another visit from you in the near future.

Reviewed April 14, 2011

Just spent three nights in a family room with wife and two kids. Hotel spot on for money paid. Room fantastic, large, modern, clean with comfy beds. Bistro in the evening excellent food and good value, we didn't bother going back into the city centre in the evening as we would have struggled to find a similar quality at the price. Pool excellent, and a big hit with the kids (although they do need to be out by 7pm). Very convenient for city centre ( £8 family return 20 minute bus journey) so you can leave they car behind. Beach 10 minutes away , with lovely walk along the prom to work off your breakfast. If you dont mind being away from the centre in the evening, the hotel is a great place to come back to after a tiring day sight seeing. One minor complaint, would of liked to weatch the football on sky one night with my 13 year old son but the only screens were in the over 18's bar, a seperate lounge would be nice. Apart from that highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family

Dear walkerdine1
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and got full value out of your visit. I note your comments regarding Sport on TV. At present we are only showing Sky sports football in the BarZest. Sky’s current pricing policy regarding showing Sports channels in the bedrooms rooms does not allow us to offer this service as it would be a significant cost for each room adding several pounds to each room night, each day of the week for what is in reality only used for 2 or 3 hours, 2 or 3 times a week.
The Scottish licensing laws preclude Children in our bar. We are looking at a solution for this far from ideal situation and hopefully we will be able to offer this on your next stay.

Reviewed April 13, 2011

Ok - the Club room was an 'unasked' for upgrade (presumably as they have just done a refurb and want people to try them out); but darn it - I'd happily pay up to £20 extra to have these exec quality rooms. BUT the food ....WOW! A £20 spend limit for which you could choose anything (and just pay any extra if it came to more) and I hot the jackpot!
Really nice home made spicy Minestrone Soup (and massive portion);
Daube of Beef on mash and veg (best cut, best taste, best sauce I have ever had)
Bread and butter pudding (adequate but small portion and nothing to write home about apart from nice Creme Anglais and redcurrant garnish) ..... AND all within budget.
Would happily try to come back to this hotel!

• Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank MrSibbitt

Dear MrSibbit
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay. I am delighted that the complimentary upgrade was appreciated. There was no ulterior motive in the upgrade. We had an empty club room when you arrived, so we offered you a free upgrade. These rooms are more energy efficient than some of the older rooms so your upgrade saved us a little bit of our overheads , and helped the planet! So it was a win , win , win situation.
If you choose to book a Club room to guarantee one for your next visit , well that would be nice to ;-}
I hope that we can welcome you back in the not to distant future.