“Worst "Hotel" I've ever stayed in.”

The Thrums Edinburgh
Ranked #286 of 392 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
A TripAdvisor Member
“Worst "Hotel" I've ever stayed in.”
Reviewed October 3, 2004

We were booked into this place by the local tourist office for 2 nights under the impression that it was a reasonably classy small hotel.

When we arrived we immediately noticed the reception area was grubby, cheap and outdated. The room was worse. It smelt musty and damp. Lampshades were missing. The Linen was faded and looked as if it had been in continuous service for decades. The make-shift tea and coffee area was dirty and unwashed - the sachets lay in a little pool of old tea and gunk. The elderly 70s TV didn't work - (do you remember those old ones were the station buttons click-out and the picture skews until you thump the top?). The "En-Suite" was dirty, the shower barley functioned and the soap dispenser was empty. Worst was the bed itself - it was completely knackered and on one side of the bed there was a huge dip - my girlfriend and I had to huddle to on side of the bed to avoid rolling into it.

We brought home a takeaway that I began eat from the bedside cabinet - I dropped a little piece of lettuce between the cabinet and the bed. I reached down to pick it up and felt like puking when the lettuce reappeared complete with a ball of crud and human hair. Deeeeeeepressing.

Next morning we complained and advised them that there was no way we would stay the second night. Instead of an apology they tried to charge us a deposit for the second night - and even had the cheek to suggest we were making it up!!

At 70 pound a night in mid-October the place was way over charged. The next night our luck was reversed and for the same money a few streets away we stayed in an immaculate hotel with the best service I've ever experienced - the borough hotel I recommend you do the same.

• Stayed October 2004
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Polish first
Reviewed September 7, 2004

I booked this hotel after researching Edinburgh Hotels and it seemed to be just what I wanted. A homely private hotel. Not so, I was very disappointed. The rooms are shabby and not as clean as one would expect. They do not serve dinner, though have the menu on display outside giving false impressions, and plastic plants in the tubs outside?ugh! Whats more the squirrels that were a feature of the house have left home due to the lack of food!. I never saw the proprietor in all of my one week stay, till I came to pay the very expensive bill. Homely? NO Very sad for a 3 star Scottish Tourist Board Hotel.

• Stayed August 2004
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Reviewed February 22, 2004

This hotel was recommended to me from somebody who had many enjoyable stays. However, this hotel has recently changed hands and has now lost its appeal.

I found the standard of cleanliness below par. Three light bulbs were missing, the light switch was hanging off the wall, there were 3 bars of soap in the bathroom - all of which were already used. The room smelt musky and very smoky, the toilet seat was cracked, the TV was precariously perched on a small bedside table, and the kettle was sitting on the floor.

This once was a very nice family run hotel but not any more. Visit at your peril!!!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 25, 2003

I have stayed at Thrums on three different vacations and felt right at home. Food is wonderful, owners are friendly and the atmosphere is warm and comfortable. Highly recommended.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
scotland
Reviewed February 4, 2003

Thrums offers a welcome alternative to modern concrete blocks where all of the rooms are the same and there is little or no personal service. Nothing is too much trouble at Thrums - be it a late night supper left in your room for (very) late arrivals or early breakfast for those needing to get to the airport for the first flights. Meals are traditional but made with fresh ( not overcooked) vegetables and other fresh ingredients. Again, if what you want is not on the menu the staff will do everything to satisfy. While some of the decor reminds you of slightly faded but comfortable Victoriana it is spotless, warm and the rooms are all individually decorated.

3 Thank christineaf