“Very nice with resonable price hotel in Edinburgh”

The Thrums Edinburgh
Ranked #287 of 392 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Amsterdam
“Very nice with resonable price hotel in Edinburgh”
Reviewed March 13, 2009

It is the third time we go to Edinburgh and I can`t imagine staying in somewhere else! Near the city centre, good service, clean rooms... we feel wellcome at the Thrums. When possible they even upgrade us to large family rooms. Free car park and internet conection and a very nice breakfast leave you no doubt that this is the best place to stay in Edinburgh if you dont want to spend too much, stay just a few minutes from the centre and feel at home. The 24hs bus service in the area is also great and I advise the £3 day ticket. Plus, we always go to a Italian Restaurant 5 minutes walking from the hotel and we also like a very near Scotish Restaurant. The staff at the reception can also help you with taxis and trips around Scotland.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank bendisb

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Polish first
cornish oggie
Reviewed March 8, 2009

we were put in the 'annex', it was cold, the rail in the wardrobe fell down, the shower rail was hanging off, and the toilet roll holder fell off whilst I was washing my hands, there was no door handle on the inside of the bathroom door. Only one screw held the inner door handle of the building on. If a fire had broken out we would not have been able to get out of the building. The electrical wiring ran along the top of the door frame and connected by an electrical block which is no longer legal. The fire extinguisher had more stamps on it than the post office and was not fixed to the wall. There were no smoke alarms in our room, and if you were hoping for a bacon breakfast - forget it!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank oggiequeen

Travelers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

cork
Reviewed February 27, 2009

We had stayed in hotels in this area previously but as they had no vacancies for the dates we were travelling we managed to find The Thrums. The staff was very friendly and accommodating right from the start. We were able to leave our baggage at the hotel having arrived many hours too early to check in and when we checked out, we could leave them there again until it was time to meet our taxi there in the afternoon. Our room was HUGE (we had been upgraded to a family room, we weren't told why and we weren't about to look a gifthorse in the mouth!) and very comfortable. We were glad to have the use of an electric heater as it was snowing there at the time of our stay. The only fault I could find with them was that the shampoo dispenser in the shower was completely empty, but, to their credit, I didn't bring this to their attention as I didn't realise until I had stepped in. Also, having had a very peaceful breakfast on the first morning, the second seemed chaotic for the kitchen staff as there seemed to be a full house, all attending for breakfast at once. Again I wouldn't take points off for this as it was clearly a very busy weekend for Edinburgh hotels.
Also, the staff posted on an item I'd left behind when I left, and this really added to the positive impression I had of the place. I would definitely return again.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Louise O
Bucks
Reviewed February 6, 2009

Thrums is my favourite hotel in Edinburgh! I’ve stayed here quite a few times and wouldn’t even contemplate staying elsewhere, unless, perish forbid, they had no rooms available. And if that happened I’d spend my whole holiday wishing that I was staying at Thrums. It’s comfortable, friendly and laid-back and I really feel at home here, far more than I ever did at a Hilton or other impersonal big-chain sort of place.

My usual travelling companion and I have stayed at Thrums several times on our way to and from the Highlands, and most recently for two weeks during the 2008 Festival. Most stays have been in various twin rooms, all of which have been comfortable and more than adequate.

She and I also booked several rooms for a large group of friends from all over the world who met us for a shared holiday in the Highlands in 2006. The owners were incredibly helpful in arranging assorted rooms with the right number of beds, staggered check-in times depending on arrival and they were endlessly patient as some folks dropped out and others took their place over the year this trip was in the planning stages. They made the whole extravaganza a lot easier for us, the planners.

The rooms are always clean, linen spotless and beds comfortable. All rooms are of a very good size and some are absolutely massive, so it’s a good place for couples, friends, families and groups of all sizes. Bathrooms are always clean and there are plenty of towels. We’ve never had any problems with too much noise from other guests or from traffic, even when staying in one of the front rooms facing the road.

Parking is great, in a large gravelled area behind the hotel. This is locked up late at night, around 11pm, so your vehicle is always safe and off road.

The owners and staff have never failed to go all out in making every one of our stays smooth and comfortable. Everyone is very friendly and we’ve had many good chats with the owner, his wife and his father. They give excellent travel advice and know Edinburgh and its environs well. It’s very much a family owned and managed establishment, with other staff being mostly sociable young people from Eastern Europe. They are always helpful, whether you want to leave your bags or need another towel or more tea.

Breakfast is good and is served in a nice little conservatory where it’s fun to watch the squirrels in the garden go about their business. They don’t serve bacon here due to the religion of the owners but there is still plenty of choice and I admire that they stick to that policy and don’t bow to consumerism by offering something that guests can easily do without. The beef sausage is a perfectly acceptable alternative and everything is cooked to order. Someone mentioned in another review that both in their party were made to get the same sort of eggs but we’ve never had that experience. It's always been our experience that everyone is able to order whatever they want.

It’s a nice walk into town to the Royal Mile; it takes us about 20 minutes. There are frequent buses though, for those that can’t or don’t like walking, or if the weather is inclement. Taxi’s are also very cheap as the distance isn’t too bad at all. The benefit of the location is that you are staying in a quieter area that isn’t crawling with tourists and yet you are just a few minutes away and on a direct bus service.

To sum it all up, give Thrums a try! It’s well worth the reasonable tariff!

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
4 Thank MarigoldCotton
Winnipeg (Winterpeg), Manitoba
Reviewed October 1, 2008

I guess the pictures shown to the public were for the front rooms. We unfortunately had one in the back. Not as quaint, a little cramped. Bathroom excellent! Couldn't work the shower but that's my problem. I just had baths!

Breakfast was slow, and I'm not sure if anyone in the UK can cook a soft poached egg. No bacon?

I found the walk at bit much to the Royal Mile but caught the bus instead for 2.5 pounds a day.

Stayed September 2008
UK
Reviewed September 19, 2008

Very good hotel for the price.
I contacted them directly and everything was well explained by phone. We stayed on a massive family room.
Well located and just a few minutes walking to the centre.
No complains at all.

• Stayed August 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank MdkMillar
USA
Reviewed September 6, 2008

Stayed for 2 nights during the Fringe. The price was quite high compared to other, much nicer places in the rest of England & Scotland I stayed during my vacation. Hotel was clean, but appeared a little down trodden. Older furnishings, ripped carpet etc. Also, it had a rather unpleasant smell (old food, mold???). The shower was TERRIBLE- water alternated between burning hot and ice could about every 30 seconds. Cooked breakfast was very greasy, but the toast was fine.

• Stayed August 2008