“If you want a friendly, personal stay, this is the place”

A-Haven Townhouse Hotel
Ranked #109 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed July 17, 2013

If you want five star luxury then don't stay here. If you do want personal service with very friendly staff then this is the right place. It is not like a big impersonal hotel but it is a nice building with very nice people to look after you. We stayed in the building at the back which was absolutely fine for what we wanted. It is well equipped with everything you need and perfect to use as a base when visiting Edinburgh. We did see some of the other rooms which were old fashioned (that is not a criticism) but they were full of character and in keeping with the building.

There is secure parking and you can order what you like for breakfast. The only thing that we struggled with was the shower as it ran hot and cold and one day was completely cold. The bathroom is not big but perfectly adequate.

It is near to a bus stop which takes you into Edinburgh and seem to run every 10 mins. We used a car and found the location to be very good in terms of getting around.

Anyone with mobility problems would struggle with the higher floors but the outbuilding would be suitable. The bed was comfortable and the room was serviced every day and towels changed if required. We also had tea and coffee making facilities. I would recommend this place, we were very happy and would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed July 16, 2013

We drove into Edinburgh and the hotel was easy to find and had great, gated parking. The staff was friendly and accommodating with lots of great info and lovely breakfasts. The walk into town was easy (though there was a bus, but we are walkers) and was about 30 minutes to the Royal Mile from the hotel. The garden was gorgeous.

embarrassment factor), we didn't report it. We flushed about 75 times and finally the water came. I thought it was a fluke from our room, but I used the toilet by reception the next day with the same issue. Just a note to be aware of.

I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank OverseasIowan
Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed a 2 night stay here. Cleanliness, hospitality and accomodation were second to none. Full Scottish breakfast is to die for.
Dave and staff couldnt be more helpful.
We arrived at 7.30am with my wife meeting her sister at another hotel in the city. Dave was kind enough to allow us to park in the secure car park without checking in until later in the evening.
We would highly reccomend A Haven.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank GiselleandPeter S
Reviewed June 27, 2013

My wife, daughter and I spent two nights at the A-Haven earlier this month. I've stayed here on my previous trips to Edinburgh and have always been satisfied with the level of service that David and his staff provide.
The A-Haven is conveniently located in the Leith area of Edinburgh, just a short bus trip to center city. It is also a short walk to the Leith harbor where there are several excellent restaurants.
David is a very welcoming host and they cook up a excellent breakfast. He is also very helpful on suggesting places to visit and is a wealth of information on the history of the city.
The rooms are on the small side and there are plenty of steps to negotiate if you are staying on the top floor. In my opinion, these are just minor issues. Everything is clean and well-maintained and the secure, private car park to the rear of the inn is an added bonus.
Overall, I feel the A-Haven is a perfect spot to stay when visiting Edinburgh. The location and David's hospitality make this a winner!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Albert K
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I needed a hotel for my business trip to Edinburgh. Booked A-Heaven as some of the reviews on the Internet were quite positive. Upon arrival I was met by the hotel staff who, I must admit, were quite friendly and willing to help and explained everything I needed to know about the area.
Speaking of the area, it is not particularly good location. It is situated right on the junction of the busy roads and the city center is a bit too far to walk too (~25 min).
During the night though I found another unpleasant surprise in that the walls between the rooms are actually made of cardboard and you can hear everything happening in the neighbors’ room very clearly in addition to the outside noise. I was unfortunate enough to have some very noisy and rude people staying behind the wall who were slamming the doors constantly going in and out, speaking loudly in the middle of the night. When I tried to calm them down I was met by a very rude and aggressive reply. Then I might have accidentally broken the wall in a half-asleep state. 'Broke' actually sounds too strong for the paper wall, rather pierced. I didn't complain to the staff about the noise at the time because I thought that there was nobody (I might have wrongly concluded as I was given the keys from the front door).
I had not mentioned anything about the damage the next day because I was unsure whether it was me given the half-unconscious state I was in when it happened. As the hotel stuff didn’t inform me even during the checkout, I concluded the damage must have happened before me. After I left however, the hotel manager emailed me that he was going to charge my card for the damage caused to the room because he was sure it was during my stay.
To my surprise later I found that my card was actually charged before the checkout for a round amount of 200 pounds. Prior to any notification and without providing any evidence that the repairs would cost this much. The hotel manager obviously decided that he was the judge and could impose fines as he wishes. In the end, plus to the horrible night after which I had to go to business meeting, I have to pay 200 pounds for being unlucky enough to stay in the room with cardboard walls and the scum neighbors.
There are some good things to be said about this hotel though. The breakfasts are very good, there is a secure car park and the staff is very friendly and trying to help (well, sometimes). But, the hotel is missing the basics. The rooms are small and noisy with small bathrooms and out of date furniture. And you don’t feel secure staying there. If you have a choice – stay elsewhere where the walls are made of bricks.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Ian A, General Manager at A-Haven Townhouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2013

This guest has been reported to the tourist authority so that his name, address and other personal details can be added to their database and forwarded to other hotels within the United Kingdom. This will make all hotels aware of the possibility of violence and damage to their property should this guest check in. The damage to A-Haven was in excess of £200.00 and the guest will obviously need to pay more towards the damage. This will be completed in due course. It's very sad he feels the only recourse is to write a review full of lies in order to object to their fine for such violent and stupid behaviour to cause criminal damage on this scale. I would also suggest it's just silly and foolish to suggest the walls are made of paper. Of course they're not made of paper. I'm sure Trip Advisor readers will realise how aggressive this person is after reading his review. Needless to say he will never be allowed back in this beautiful Hotel ever again.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

I was staying as I needed somewhere whilst passing through from Edinburgh, I came from Edinburgh airport. On arrival I quickly realised that it wasnt a hotel at all, more like a run-down B&B, I was surprised that the website I booked with said £55 reduced from £75 since I wouldnt have even paid £35 for it. The room was dark and dingy and there wasnt much space to move, I had a look at the other rooms on passing and they didnt look much bigger. The "Hotel" is right in the middle of a busy traffic crossroads so no luck for light sleepers! The appliances and decor are extremely dated and although I seen on the reviews that the place is clean there was dust on the shelves and wardrobes....... The so called "Bar" downstairs isnt a bar at all simply a table for u to receive drinks from whoever is serving from the kitchen next door. Trying to cheer myself up I went a wander to shops nearby and to say this is a rough area is being nice, the people I met on my way made me feel very uneasy, the small Tesco nearby even required a security guard!!! I cannot fault the friendlieness of the staff but I think its about high time they used some of their earnings on doing the place up!

Room Tip: Choose elsewhere!!!!!!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank R S
Ian A, General Manager at A-Haven Townhouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

This review is complete nonsense and id full of lies for reasons only known to the guest. It is NOT a run down B&B, it IS a 3 star Hotel as classified by Visit Scotland. I'm sure Trip Advisor readers will be intelligent enough to realise this particular review has no place amongst our other wonderful comments. This guest has now been reported to the police for reasons I can't reveal online.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

David, mine host, gives a warm welcome and bends over backwards to provide everything you might need. The rooms may not the sort of size you will find in a modern hotel, but what do you expect in an old property?
It's full of character, every thing has been thought of and you will leave in the morning after a splendid, freshly-prepared breakfast. No buffet sitting around for hours here!
My only niggle at breakfast is sachets of sauces and preserves; I understand why it is done, but little pots would much better reflect the overall standards they are seeking to achieve.
Very handy for bus routes into the city or to the docks, so ideally placed. David has all sorts of bus maps and other tourist information, which is a nice touch that means you can avoid the interminable queues at tourist information at Waverley Station.
In the evenings, there is a very reasonably-priced bar, which gives an opportunity to meet the other guests, likely to be from all corners of the world.
The price is right, the welcome is second to none.
Highly recommended.