“Good food, very poor service”
Review of Porto & Fi on The Mound - CLOSED

Porto & Fi on The Mound
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Town
Dundee, United Kingdom
“Good food, very poor service”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

My husband and I popped in here for breakfast and ordered the same dish, eggs benedict with smoked salmon on a muffin. Not too taxing to make when the cafe was very quiet. 30 to 40 minutes later we were still waiting, however I spied the dishes coming out from the kitchen......only to be given to a table of 4 tourists!! I called the waitress over who apologised, there had been a mix up with orders and they would make ours now. The tourists had come in at least 15 minutes after us! I'd say it took 50 minutes for these two simple dishes to reach us. Very tasty when they did, but I dread to think how they cope on a busy service if several people order the same dish....obviously not too bothered about repeat custom and just banking on tourists as we were charged full price for the hours wait!

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Frasersmum

• Greek first
Edinburgh
“Did not give us the table we reserved”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I rang during the week to make a dinner reservation for my partner's birthday on Saturday 22nd. The conversation went like this:
"Do you have a cosy table, say in the window or in a corner? It's a special occasion."
"Oh, you can pretty much have your pick of the tables at the moment."
"Well, a nice one, please! Do you have a recommendation?"
"I'll give you the one in the window with the sofa; that's the one most people choose."
"Lovely, thank you." And I gave my name, said I'd see them on Saturday.

So on Saturday we arrived five minutes early and both window tables were occupied. We were shown to a small, dark, dingy table towards the back of the restaurant and right up against a wall. It seemed the person I'd spoken to had forgotten to write down which table they'd reserved for us. The man seating us apologised, which was appreciated, but naturally he couldn't move the occupants of either of the two window tables.

And so we left and had dinner somewhere else. It really was bitterly disappointing ,as I'd wanted to surprise my partner with dinner somewhere new that's getting good reviews. The food may well be good - we didn't get a chance to try it - but they definitely get one star for service and ambience.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Skylark42
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Very good breakfast”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We hadn't booked, but visited this for breakfast on Saturday as we were in the area and were hungry! Very nice interior environment (an old bank, but you can't really tell until you go downstairs - there is an old gated safe down there that now acts as a small retain outlet). Fast and friendly service and a good selection for breakfast and other parts of the day. We had porridge with fruit and poached egg and salmon with hollandaise sauce between the two of us, very tasty. Recommended.

• Visited June 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Exceptional Food, Value And Service”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

These guys have had a very successful sister restaurant in Newhaven for several years. Expansion to the Mound now allows more visitors to Edinburgh to experience Andrew and Fi's passion for great cuisine and baking for exceptional value. The staff are always very attentive and well trained. Portions are all well sized and very well seasoned/flavoured. Good wine list (try the Brazilian red for something different) and exceptional coffee. Worth visiting mid-morning too for a pick-me-up.

• Visited May 2013
Fife Scotland
“Easy eating”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

On the Mound in Edinburgh - a great find, fine food, with enough choice for a dairy free vegetarian, good coffee and quick service too.

Visited June 2013