“Still one of the great concert halls in the world - despite the "modern" addition.”
Review of Usher Hall

Usher Hall
More attraction details
Owner description: Unique concert hall in the heart of Edinburgh. Music, comedy, award ceremonies, hospitality and more. Celebrating 100 years in 2014
Reviewed August 23, 2013

I have known the Usher Hall for more years than I care to count. It all started in my student days with weekly concerts of the then Scottish National Orchestra while sitting in the cheap, hard seats of the back row of "the gods". Great acoustic there but, in those days, necessitating a long climb. Now I am of an age and prefer comfy seats I have my favourite corner of the Grand Circle and the acoustic remains stunning. However, with the major refurbishment of a few years ago I could get to that top deck by lift as access to all areas as well as bar and toilet facilities have been greatly improved.
While I don't really like the appearance of the enormous addition to the side of the building that was constructed as part of the renovations, the other new facilities are a welcome embellishment. However, they are underused especially the ground floor bars and cafe at the box office entrance and which open shortly before performances. Surely, at least during the Festival in August, the cafe could open all day. With the closure of cafes nearby in the Saltyre Centre, I suggest there may be a place for opening the cafe all day.
The Usher Hall manages to attract charming, helpful industrious staff. We rarely need the box office staff but ushers and bar staff are consistently, even in the hectic three weeks of the Edinburgh Festival, wonderfully patient and friendly.
And the concerts of the Festival - stunning. Mahler 2 from the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra under Mariss Jansons was never better!

1  Thank Kirkcaldylad
UsherHall1914, Customer Services, Usher Hall at Usher Hall, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

How lovely to hear of your long involvement with the Usher Hall.

Our cafe is kept under review and it is interesting to hear your comments. You may like to know that our bars are used frequently and enjoyed by many people throughout the year. We also have an array of function suites which are used regularly for signings with artists, meetings and social occasions etc.

We look forward to welcoming you to the Hall soon.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

An excellent couple of hours spent in the company of an excellent orchestra. The Usher Hall is comfortable and welcoming with attentive staff. It's easy to reach and there are a wide choice of good pre or post-theatre dinner venues within a few hundred yards. We'll be looking to book whenever we're in Edinburgh.

UsherHall1914, Customer Services at Usher Hall, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Thank you for your comments and pleased to hear you enjoyed your experience with us here in Edinburgh.

Please do keep up-to-date with our e-news for details of forthcoming gigs.

Kind regards.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

A great evening with very talented musicians and singers. The young soloist ,Daniel Doolan , was superb.
Robin Ticciati, the conductor was quite a tease holding back the audience from applauding until he was ready
The National Youth choir of Scotland were fantastic
Thanks for a wonderful evening

Reviewed July 10, 2013

As the point system does not allow for a good mark it goes from average to very good Trip advisor take note .I HAVE TO SAY ITS A 3 AND A HALF out of 5 which in my opinion is good but not Very Good in comparison to say the Royal Concert Hall in Glasgow which is very good.The venues location is second to none ,Great parking at the Sheraton ,2 Minutes walk with plenty of Bars and eatieries very close bye.

The box office staff were very helpful although I felt the door staff were grumpy .The bar staff were efficient and proffessional however I am dismayed at the £2 charge for a can of coke when only a dash is required £20 for 2 Whiskey cokes and 2 G&Ts is a bit much in a plastic glass .

I was seated in the grand circle and had an excellent view but as the place is old it does have that musty smell and sticky seat experience .

All in all a good venue and I will be back .

We check for feedback here on a regular basis and thank you for your comments.

If you have any issues in future, please do let the Front of House team know at the time.

The bar prices are similar to other venues in Edinburgh are we are continually revising these.

Training of staff is on-going and any comments here are fed-back.

Thanks again and we hope to see you in the Hall sometime soon.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Have attended various concerts at Usher Hall, from the popular sell-outs to the lunchtime Organ concerts.
Never had any problems when booking on line, by phone or, in person, at the box office.
Refreshment are quickly served and well priced.
Best of all, the Staff are competent and courteous, from bars to booking office.
Well done!

Thank you for this – the team really appreciate you taking the time to let us know your thoughts.

Hope to see you again soon.