“Interesting and educational”

National Library of Scotland
Ranked #90 of 426 things to do in Edinburgh
Reviewed August 28, 2013

This is not you usual library. It has exhibitions to suit all ages. The current exhibition in August/September is about Dr Johnson and his wanderings in central and southern Africa. Original documents, great graphics and an easy-to-follow sequence portrays the pioneering spirit of the Victorian adventurer.
Suitable for all ages above 7 years.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

The National Library is near our hotel and we were delighted to see that for the period of the Festival a special exhibition was being held relating to the Bicentenary of the birth of Dr. David Livingstone and his travels in Africa. We already have an interest in the subject but learnt many new facts and together with the many supporting photographs and drawings spent some time enjoying this well presented display. It will be of interest to anybody that enjoys travel. There is also separately an imaginative display relating to John Murray who published many of the early travel books. With free entry and a good cafe in the building a visit is strongly recommended. As a bonus between now and the 21st August daily at 16.00 pm there is a superb presentation about Livingstone being shown as part of the Festival

Reviewed May 7, 2013

The Bartholomew's exhibition was well worth a visit, it was very informative and gave an insight into the family and the map-making business. The displays were fascinating and very varied. There are other exhibits in the building, plus a cafe, which we plan to return to on our next weekend in Edinburgh.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

After a snack in the cafe, we went in to the current exhibition, which is about the Bartholomew map-making business. A very well-presented exhibition with fascinating detail about how maps were actually produced. Old maps of Edinburgh area were really interesting - seeing which buildings have changed into another type of use, or have vanished entirely. We could have spent much longer there, but time was pressing!

Reviewed March 25, 2013

With only an afternoon to explore Edinburgh for my first time I headed for the Museum of Scotland but it was closed by a labor action so I found this place and enjoyed looking at the Map exhibit. I especially liked seeing the tools and watching a little film on engraving because I try this myself. I see from the "Discover" magazine I picked up on the way out that they have a big and interesting collection which I did not take the time to view. They also have a little gift shop, what looks like a nice cafe and rest rooms.