“Very ghostly (Ghosts and Ghouls tour)”
Review of Mercat Tours

Mercat Tours
Ranked #61 of 259 Tours in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: 'History is a damn good story, what it needs is a damn good telling!' We're a family business and simply love sharing Edinburgh's stories. We're the original, largest, and first 5 star walking tour company in Scotland giving guaranteed quality. With a warm welcome and our award-winning storytelling and tour routes, we'll help you explore and discover Edinburgh. Our expert guides offer a unique, memorable glimpse of our remarkable history. With guaranteed daily departures, year round we offer exclusive access to Blair Street Underground Vaults, Edinburgh Castle, Palace of Holyroodhouse & National Museum of Scotland. Our tours begin at 10am and finish at 10pm, so we're sure we'll find something for you!
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Aisling our tour guide looked after us very well, including giving me a good whipping!! We all enjoyed the tour especially the Blair St vaults under the south bridge. The children were engrossed for the full 2 hours so that must be a good sign. The drinks at the end and some more stories were a nice touch. I would say this tour is a must for family visitors to the city.

1  Thank robMChester
MercatToursLtd, Manager at Mercat Tours, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Thanks for getting in touch and reviewing your tour - we're delighted that we engaged, enthralled and entertained your wee ones, praise indeed!

Please do keep in touch on facebook and twitter and we hope to welcome you back again soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (5,884)
All reviews
in 50 reviews
"old town"
in 112 reviews

Reviewed October 26, 2012

My friend and I booked a tour down the vaults our tour guide was James and he was fantastic, we really enjoyed every part of it and would highly recommend a tour. I have some interesting photos on my phone of orbs and a spooky face. I will defo be back for a late night tour next time.

2  Thank Fakebake25
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I let my son pick which ghost tour we did and so after a few hours of deliberation we booked a Ghosts and Ghouls Tour, this included a trip into the vaults, I didn't think this would be a problem as earlier in the day he had been down to Mary King's Close with no difficulties. We booked online and this was easy to do. We turned up and found our guide easily, the tour started on time. Ewan was a fantstic guide who knew his stuff, he picked on my husband for committing a crime and he was suitably punished! this went down well with the rest of the family! The stories were historical with a wee bit of ghostly goings on thrown in for good measure. We got to the vaults and five minutes in, with the stories having taken a more scary turn, despite the best reassurances of ourselves and our lovely guide, we had to take our son back up, Ewan our guide was great at dealing with this and Sue in the shop was so lovely to him. We rejoined the group above ground with a now fully recovered 11 year old and were able to listen to more stories, ask questions and soak up the atmosphere. We can't thank the staff enough for their kindness and understanding. Their knowledge is amazing and the experience is well worth the doing.

1  Thank Meltom0151

Many thanks for getting in touch and reviewing your time with us. We're really pleased that you felt looked after and your son enjoyed the overall experience. We hope to see you back again soon!

Reviewed October 24, 2012

Mostly historical with recounts of murders above ground. Once underground you can see a small portion of a fascinating, bygone world the place is very atmospheric and will affect different people in different ways. A little more time and more stories underground please

1  Thank northwestmonkey
See more reviews
Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

Booked online firstly for a history tour by accident, rang the company and they changed it for me no fuss or bother. Arrived at meeting point for the vaults tour and was met by clearly identified rep who had all our details and gave us our ticket Ten minutes later our guide arrived in costume and lashed two of our tour with a whip (would of liked it to be me but thats another story). During this someone on the tour was chatting which Liz (or Esmeralda) dealt with professionally, which was appreciated as it can be distracting. The vaults themselves where interesting but I think the ghost stories would be better if solely based within the vaults. our guide was a gifted story teller and really did her job well. The tour ended with q and a and we were free to escape the vaults. All in all well worth the money even if your a massive sceptic like me.

1  Thank Thefrazzle