“Explore-bonanza!”

and up
Historic Scotland Explorer Pass
Ranked #30 of 404 things to do in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Owner description: The castle of Craigmillar is one of the most perfectly preserved castles in Scotland. Even today, the castle retains the character of a medieval stronghold. Building began in the early 15th century, and over the next 250 years the castle became a comfortable residence surrounded by fine gardens and pastureland. The castles history is not only closely involved with the city of Edinburgh, but plays an important part in the story of Mary Queen of Scots who fled to Craigmillar Castle following the murder of Rizzio. It was in the castle where the plot was hatched to murder Marys husband, Lord Darnley. Built round an L-plan tower house of the early 15th Century, Craigmillar was much expanded in the 15th and 16th Centuries. It is a handsome ruin, including a range of private rooms linked to the hall of the old tower. Open all year. Winter closed Thurs and Fri.
Oslo, Norway
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Explore-bonanza!”
Reviewed April 21, 2014

I castle a bit outside of Edinburgh with so many nooks and crannies you could spend hours exploring the castle from cellars and prisons to the top towers and roofs. It's a really great experience and well worth the £5 entrance fee.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Loved this--such a delight to explore”
Reviewed April 20, 2014

We took a city bus here from Haymarket. It was a very pleasant ride to city outskirts. From the bus stop, it is about a ten minute walk up a grassy hill, which is obviously also frequented by bunnies. (We did see a few on the way back.). Near the entrance to the castle is a tiny gift shop and ticket office. Entrance price was 5.50 pounds, such a bargain! My teenage son and I spent a couple of hours exploring the ruins, going up and down stairs, opening doors and windows to see what was behind. I enjoyed the craftsmanship of the ancient hearths, storage areas, tower, and unicorn details. The ancient Yew in the courtyard is so beautiful. Visiting these ruins was truly like a wonderful dream.

1 Thank Julie I
Stirling, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great for a run around”
Reviewed April 17, 2014

Largely preserved castle on the south side of Edinburgh with easy parking, good views, and loads of rooms and staircases to explore. A bit of information about its previous use as you go round, not too much but if you are mainly playing knights with kids that isnt a draw-back. Guide to purchase in the shop if you want more info, where they have various other souvenirs and also sell hot drinks to take away. A play park nearby I think.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“craigmillar”
Reviewed April 16, 2014

this is my most favourite of castles! I love the yew trees, my kids love it up on the roof. great for picknics too
free for members of historic scotland

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Cheryl M
Frederick
361 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 406 helpful votes
“A Bit of A Walk But Still Good”
Reviewed April 12, 2014

We had a very limited time in Scotland and this castle was recommended so we took the city bus out to the road and then had to walk uphill a half a mile on a very curvy, busy road with no shoulder and bad visibility to get to the castle property. There is a cozy little gift shop with a very nice young lady in it who sold us the tickets. The castle itself is right next door and I don't see this mentioned by other reviewers but it is just ruins of remaining walls and green grounds.

We did walk in and around the grounds and the remaining walls of the structure so got an idea of what it may have been like when intact. I think that there is a pictorial history in the visitor's center but we didn't see any of that the day we were there. I'm sure if we took our time we'd get more out of it but I don't think that we'll ever be in that direction again.

Visited March 2014