“Very Interesting”
Review of Brass Rubbing Centre - CLOSED

Brass Rubbing Centre
More attraction details
Owner description: Great family activity where you can make your own personal souvenir to take home from the UK. Offers a unique tourist experience while learning history.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Very Interesting”
Reviewed February 3, 2012

A great place to take the children and grandchildren, lots of fun doing the brass rubbing.

carlisle, pa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Very sadly, closed at present . . .”
Reviewed May 18, 2011

We visited the Brass Rubbing Centre in May 2010 and the whole family really enjoyed it. It was a wonderfully quiet, contemplative (and productive!) respite from the tourist hoards on the Royal Mile. We were all eagerly anticipating another similar experience this year--our 8 yo boy most of all--only to find it is closed for structural repairs and the brasses have all been put in storage! No clear timeline for reopening, though they said they are hoping maybe sometime in summer 2011.

Visited May 2011
2 Thank raptor99
Huntsville, Alabama
97 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 134 helpful votes
“Great Family Activity”
Reviewed July 4, 2010

The whole family had fun at this place, which is both historically interesting and fun.

Edmonton
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“A unique tourist experience”
Reviewed October 14, 2009

The Brass Rubbing Centre was a great way to learn a little history, do something constructive and have a special souvenier of our trip. My husband and I did a smal rubbing, which was quite inexpensive. It took us about 30 minutes to complete the project. The staff was knowledgeable and very helpful. It was a nice change from looking at museums and taking pictures of sites. I would recommend this to anyone visiting Edinburgh.

4 Thank luv2drinkchai
Chicago area
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“What fun! Make your own personalized souvinir”
Reviewed August 26, 2009

This was a great way to get a personalized souvenir of a trip to the UK - I guarantee no one else has the same one! This is a great way to spend an hour or two, or a good way to create with your child for as long as they can focus. Making your own rubbing satisfies a basic creative urge, and is pretty inexpensive. Buying one made by an expert costs somewhat more. (Now going home and framing the thing! That's another story pricewise!)

My husband and I had done a lot of walking while sightseeing, so my feet hurt. Here, I had a chance to sit and excercise my arm instead. The morning of the day we chose to do this was perfect for this activity - it was raining - and this was indoors. I ended up making three rubbings, and could have stayed to do more if time allowed.

There are many choices and sizes of replica brasses - from Pictish stone carvings, to medieval lords or ladies or religious or mythical scenes, to brass renderings of the illuminations from the Book of Kells, along with animals (real and mythological) that would appeal to younger children. You get choices of paper and colors of the special crayons. The woman running the center was very encouraging and helpful in showing how to create a rubbing.

My only complaint were the hours. If you have the time planned for this, you are ok. Spur of the moment, not necessarily. We wandered in on a Saturday afternoon in early August (lots of tourists in the area), and I immediately knew I wanted to do this, but it was too late to start a rubbing (probably around 4:30). There were no Sunday hours, so we had wait until Monday! Since there was only one person minding the center at a time, we were forced to take a break for lunch. Not a problem for me, as my arm could use the rest and I returned after lunch, but a problem for those who wandered in right before lunch.

All in all, this ranked as one of the best highlights of our trip.

4 Thank gelelied