“Great guide, fascinating stories!”
Review of Auld Reekie Tours

and up
Ghost and Torture Tour in Edinburgh
Ranked #81 of 230 Tours in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Owner description: Auld Reekie Tours are a 4 star visitor attraction located in the centre of Edinburgh's old town, and are open all all year round.We offer a range of both historical and ghost tours both above and below ground, with an option of multi-lingual guides when requested, children tours and a tour and dine partnership with one of Scotland's most haunted pub, the Banshee Labyrinth. Our sister company - Paranormal Investigations Scotoland offers overnight ghost hunts in our most hanted location - Niddry Wynd Vaults.
Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

I went on the Terror Tour and was not disappointed. The tour is a great way to learn about the gritty history of Edinburgh! You get to go into the underground vaults -- very eerie, very cool. Our tour guide, Erin, was absolutely fabulous, and dealt with one belligerently drunk gentleman with finesse. Would recommend!

1  Thank rhjordan
Write a ReviewReviews (1,075)
All reviews
in 52 reviews
"small group"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed April 23, 2013

I was there in the group on a tour on the vaults. Our guide was called Ewan. We paid ten UK pounds which was great value cos this guy would sell out stadiums doing stand up. The guy was great. I have travelled Europe and been on many tours this was by far the best. What a mix, great location. There was some music from pubs bleeding into vaults but you can't move the venue!! We were thrilled, scared and given a great show. Do it. Find the same guide if you can.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

I booked this when a friend was visiting and chose it purely for the buy one get one free offer! I wished I had read some tripadvisor reviews first - I probably wouldn't have booked it otherwise as there are some very valid points here and this was my friend's one chance to do a tour. Although our tour guide, Peter, was very lovely and friendly, I just didn't get the feeling he believed the stories he was telling us -sort of an important point for a ghost and torture tour leader (the audience can be as skeptical as you like but the guide really should at least make you feeling like there is a chance of a haunted experience!). I also found the tour mentally exhausting as there were just too many stories crammed into a short space of time -by the end i couldn't keep track and for anyone for whom English is a second, like my friend, keeping up was difficult right from the start. Fewer stories with more coherent details, and a little more conviction from the guide would go along way to improving this experience. Finally, the vaults visited by this company are right underneath a bar, so listening to Friday night revelers whilst in there takes quite a lot of the spookiness out of the experience! Overall I think this company could do a lot more to provide the high level of experience offered by others, although we did enjoy it and it was interesting from my point of view to see some different vaults.

1  Thank Katie M
Reviewed April 18, 2013

My son, his fiancée, and I did the 10pm Terror Tour on the 13th April, and Ewan was our guide. Ewan was brilliant, and obviously knows his history. He took us to different points which were significant with the tour, and he brought a good amount of humour with the group to make it enjoyable. Most of the group were mainly there for the vaults themselves, but most of us felt a little let down with the short visit to the vaults. Ewan did give a brilliant insight into the vaults and atrocities that happened there, and myself and a few others did experience 3 occurances which in no way could have been staged, so that was a definite plus to the tour. We all felt a bit let down though with not seeing much of the vaults after looking at several pictures and videos from previous visits by different people, and we obviously didn't see half of the parts shown, so although Ewan can be commended on his guiding skills and historic knowledge, a longer time spent in the vaults and seeing more of them would have been better.

2  Thank Palsal