“What a waste of time”

$22.06*
Terror Walking Tour in Edinburgh
Ranked #46 of 206 Tours in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Owner description: Auld Reekie Tours are a 4 star visitor attraction located in the centre of Edinburgh's old town, and are open all all year round.We offer a range of both historical and ghost tours both above and below ground, with an option of multi-lingual guides when requested, children tours and a tour and dine partnership with one of Scotland's most haunted pub, the Banshee Labyrinth. Our sister company - Paranormal Investigations Scotoland offers overnight ghost hunts in our most hanted location - Niddry Wynd Vaults.
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Were on tour last night cannot believe how bad it was the walk consisted of walking on a small square route of he Royal Mile at one point you walk up a small close where your learn about Edinburghs toilet habits several hundred years ago sounds good but it is difficult to imagine as they have chosen one of the only closes of the Royal Mile with brand new student flats not the old buildings the story related to !!! Fortunately we had purchased tickets from groupon so only paid £5 but still felt we were ripped off.

There are newer reviews for Auld Reekie Tours

Reviewed January 9, 2013

Three of us were really looking forward to this tour and must say we were bitterley dissapointed.
Firstly I asked if I could use their toilet and was told they didnt have on at their booking office but I could use a toilet half way round the tour,, I am still waiting!!!!!
Secondly we were also informed when we booked this tour that we would get a free drink at the end of it,,, We are still waiting.....

Mary Kings Close is the real place to go, not this one which is more or less someones cellar!!!!1 The commentery was dull and boring and seemed to go on for ever. Worst trip I have ever done in Edinburgh.....

Reviewed January 3, 2013

We went on the 7:30pm Ghost & Torture Tour on a damp Thursday evening in November during a short break in Edinburgh and found it to be fantastic. Perhaps as we took an early evening tour; perhaps as it was mid-week and out-of-season or perhaps just owing to the poor weather, our tour group was very small (just five of us and our charming guide, Kenneth) which we found to be a perfectly sized group.
Kenneth gave us a brief history of Edinburgh, the Royal Mile, the bridges and the vaults as we strolled up and down the wynds and closes on the way to the Auld Reekie Tour entrance. The talk was interesting, informative and really set the scene for the spooky stuff to come.
Up an unusually high door step and a spiralling stone staircase and we were introduced to a large collection of antique torture equipment, all of it eerily displayed on the walls of a dimly lit room which was dressed with dark drapes.
Kenneth told us about the equipment and added a bit more colour to crime and punishment history of Edinburgh that he'd touched on earlier. Then it was time to enter the vaults.
Kenneth's tales of ghostly sightings and experiences in (or linked to) the vaults were chilling.
The vault that the Wiccan group previously inhabited, with the eerie stone circle in place, caused much discussion in our small group with two of the group entering the circle! All very exciting!
Although I would have liked more time in the vaults and perhaps the opportunity to explore independently (if I had the courage) for the cost of the tour I cannot fault it.
Finally, Kenneth tipped us off about the Banshee Labyrinth, an incredible pub with a busy live music schedule and a cinema in one of their haunted vaults, where we spent a few hours soaking up the history. A thoroughly great night!

Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

I have been twice on an Auld Reekie tour of Niddry st vaults in Edinburgh before today, which have both been fantastically terrifying. As I have 2 scare searching friends here to visit, wanted to show them this well known attraction.

We booked ourselves on the late night 'Terror tour' - which I was apprehensive about, even as an experienced visitor!! There were atleast 55 people on this tour, fair enough, it is Hogmanay, but this did take away from the whole atmosphere these tour guides - should - create. The guide, Peter, was a very likeable character and very enthusiastic above ground (the history part of the tour), but once below ground announced that he was a sceptic and wasn't going to try to scare us with ghost stories - IT WAS A GHOST TOUR!!! Having been twice before and sufficiently spooked both times (tears and screaming have both occurred) I was most disappointed that my thrill seeking friends experienced none of what I had built it up to be. Peter proceeded to tell no tales of any experiences people had had (which is really the whole point in the ghost tour - to scare people) and did not dramatise the whole thing at all. Even when I asked a question regarding tales of the poltergeist vault, he said there were "none particularly". At the end of the tour you are usually left in the pitch black poltergeist vault (women and men separated!!) before some other employee scares the living day lights out of you - none of which happened this time around.

My advice - check your tour guide is not a sceptic, check his name isn't Peter (unless its an above ground history tour - then he'll be fantastic) and don't go during Hogmanay if you want the full experience. If I am to do it a 4th time, I will more than likely choose another company after tonight's experience.

1  Thank Laurap1987
Reviewed December 24, 2012

There were only four people on the tour which was great. The tour guide Kenneth was very knowledgeable and the stories he told were interesting. The vaults were quite spooky. There was something (or someone) down there with us. The tour was a good way to spend an hour on an evening, although it did seem a bit expensive.