“Unhelpful staff, small room, not great at all.”
Review of Merith House Hotel

Merith House Hotel
Ranked #149 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed August 2, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for two nights in July and unfortunately, didn't have the best experience. They have a charge for late check-in, a charge for storing baggage, a charge for credit card payments (they only want cash payments it seems). Given I arrive around 11pm, it would have been nice to be greeted by a friendly face - it costs nothing to ask a weary traveller about his journey.

I was a minute late for breakfast (completely my fault, I got times mixed up) and no attempt was made to even offer me a cup of coffee. Appreciate that I was late, but not by much and it would, again, have cost them nothing to offer me a little something.

The room was stuffy and hot, and didn't have a full length mirror. The bathroom was rather poky and the shower wasn't particularly powerful. Not very much in the local area either, it is about a 20 minute walk to the city centre. Given the price, I really would expect a lot better.

Wouldn't have minded the small room if the staff were helpful and friendly. Shame really.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank iopo

Reviewed July 31, 2014

Stayed here last minute with my boyfriend as a friend was having a night out in Edinburgh and this was the only place we could find. We are students therefore quite young.

To start with my boyfriend called the hotel to ask about buses and local facilities to which the woman on the line seemed unimpressed with our simple questions.

As we arrived, we were surprised to how lovely the outside of the hotel looked. It's opposite a clean park and there are benches outside the hotel door. As we proceeded inside we were greeted with a cold and uninviting woman. We assumed she didn't like us because we were young. Then to be bombed by a service charge for paying by card at the reception - I'm pretty sure it did not say this on booking!

We were taken by the woman to "the annex" which is not even in the hotel building. It was 2 doors down the street and we ended up in what was like a basement!
The woman presented us with two keys, one for the front door and one for the room... and got it wrong which key was for which.

Our room was strange, we had booked a double and we were in a room with a double bed and 3 single beds around the double - only con to this was that there was lots of space!
Although I sat down on the double for the headboard to fall off. All the headboards on the beds were wobbly and hit the walls whenever you sat on them. Pedal bin was broken. Tea and coffee tray with a kettle was provided on top of a dresser with a tv.. two unusually placed chairs next to the dresser.. Small TV does have freeview.

No plugs that weren't behind beds and furniture, duvets and pillows were very thin.
Very small and unusually placed mirror above a chest of drawers.

Communal bathrooms shared with 2 other rooms in this basement-like annex. No means of drying hands after washing them. Did not even use the showers.

Did not stay for breakfast - by sounds of other reviews, there was no point in paying extra for a bowl of cereal!

Checked out meeting a friendly man - one of the highlights!

I do not advise this hotel unless absolutely desperate and everywhere else is booked. We only paid £70 for the room and it was not even worth this.

1  Thank Jennifer C
Reviewed July 30, 2014

Stopped here the end of July and although the hotel looks nice from outside and has free parking we were massively disappointed when we stepped inside.

When we walked in the lady who runs the hotel informed us curtly that our room wasn't ready and looked almost baffled when we asked when we would be able to check in. She continued to half mutter answers in response to us asking about how to get into Edinburgh center. When we returned later to check-in we immediately told we have to pay fully on arrival and asked how we would pay. At this point we noticed a sign sellotaped to the desk saying they charge 5% for any payments made on either a debit or credit card (very sneaky considering if you are staying a few nights you are unlikely to be carrying several hundreds pounds with you!). There was also a note saying there would be a charge of £5 for them to hold your luggage for you, which we felt was particularly off for a hotel who has rooms on offer for £200 a night.

We payed with cash as we were only staying one night and the lady proceeded to give me incorrect change by £10. I confirmed the price of the room and pointed out the error and she reluctantly apologised and went in the safe to retrieve my change. Could not shake the feeling that it was possibly deliberate and that had I have walked off and then returned to question my change an argument would have ensued.

The room itself was one of the oddest I've ever stayed in. It had 4 doors in it (3 of which were shut off by various bits of furniture) and 1 double and 2 single beds (we asked for a double). Tea and coffee making facilities were in the room also. The furniture was dated and scruffy looking and the whole room smelt very odd. The bathroom was communal and looked as if it may have been recently replaced but unfortunately still showed mold patches forming on the shower ceiling and generally had a rather half-baked feel to it. When we opened the bathroom cupboard to look for any proper soap we found a box full of UHT milks and open tea bags sat next to a pile of smart price cleaning products - very hygienic! The bathroom was also very small with nowhere to place a towel which meant I had to rest mine on the slightly questionable looking sink - something I was a bit squeamish about.

Overall the lack of customer service and being made to feel like an intruder after paying model to stay in a under-rated room left us feeling extremely disappointed, had we been staying longer I would have been extremely annoyed. We would not recommend!

1  Thank Keeleyyy
Reviewed July 27, 2014

Booked here for 3 days starting 18/07 - left a day early with no refund due to the condition of the room we stayed in, also incurred extra expense at having to rearrange train journey home. The whole weekend was ruined due to this hotel, which although looks very pretty from the outside, thats all show. My wife wouldn't go in shower due to the filthy condition in the bathroom - mould on walls and shower curtain. Nowhere to hang towels other than toilet roll holder. The bedding and mattress dirty and stained. Coating of filth on radiator both inside and out, also on carpets and skirting boards. No wardrobe. On check in (prior to seeing room) we asked to order breakfast for the next day and was advised 'If the chef turns in'. Obviously after seeing the room we had no intention of having a cooked breakfast there. The best advice I can give anyone is not to stay here.

2  Thank George H
Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

We pulled up and were pleasantly surprised by the location. Across the road was a beautiful park and the exterior was clean and inviting. We were greeted at the door by a lovely man who checked us in and had a joke or two with my partner. The only thing that I didn't like was that on paying if you pay by card there is a charge, we paid £8 and there was no mention of this when booking. We had room 8 on the top floor. This room is tiny, should be a single rather than a double. No hanging space, a few pegs on the back of the door. The toilet was cramped and badly planned. I tried to have a wash and due to the small sink and glass shelf above couldn't hit my face with the water. Shower old but pressure ok. No privacy possible either. No towels were there when we arrived I went to reception to ask and was told they were awaiting a delivery. When arriving back on our second evening again no towels and had to ask again. The woman of the hotel is cold and rude also, thank heavens her male counterpart was friendly. Lovely location but tired hotel. We'll most likely go to another on that street if we visit again.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KGBlyth
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Good value for money, so long as you aren't hit with £5 late check in fee and then the 5% charge for using a credit/debit card. This may have been stated when booking but I am not sure.

Polite staff.

Room small but clean, fine for a couple so long as you aren't terribly tall, otherwise your knees might poke out of the bathroom when using the loo!

I don't believe cereal, toast, fruit and yoghurt quite warrants the title of "continental breakfast" but this was acceptable for us.

Probably wouldn't stay here again.

1  Thank Kip2008
Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

Excellent services ! Value for money. The staff guides you through the city and helps you with almost everything ! The staff was really friendly. The place wAs very clean. I recommend this place to all the students and their families. The bus stand was next to the hotel. We had no problems and issues .thankyou merith hotel for making this trip more enjoyable

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends