“Excellent one night stay”
Review of The Rutland Hotel

The Rutland Hotel
Ranked #12 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed November 26, 2013

My husband and I had booked one night in the Rutland on a recent trip to Edinburgh. When we arrived at reception to check in we were told that there was a problem with our room which they were doing some maintenance on. My heart sank as I thought this was not a good start. However from there on things only got better as they had upgraded us to the apartment. It was not quite ready (we were a little early) so the receptionist offered to take us through to the Huxley Bar for a complimentary tea/coffee. The apartment is not actually in the hotel, but a basement flat further along the street. It has two bedrooms - the main bedroom is quite spacious, very modern with red & silver wallpaper and red bed accessories, and a TV. The second bedroom is smaller and decorated in a blue colour. The bathroom has a free standing bath and a separate open shower, with underfloor heating - very cosy. There were plenty of towels and bathroom toiletries from Arran Aromatics. One note of caution - be careful when washing in the sink not hit your head on the shelf which is above it. There is also an open plan sitting room/kitchen area with a breakfast bar, where there is a large sofa, chair, and TV. French doors lead out on to a secluded garden area which would be nice in the summer. There are complimentary muffins and bottled water and tea and coffee (nespresso capsules).The hotel, and apartment is very centrally located at the bottom of Lothian and the end of Princes Street but despite its central location we found it very quiet and heard no noise during the night.
Just one or two minor things - the noise from the bathroom pipes is quite loud when you are sitting in the living area, and it would be better to have an electric kettle which would boil water much quicker than putting a kettle on the hob. But these are minor points in what was a very enjoyable stay. Our only disappointment was that we were only staying for one night so could not really make full use of the facilities in the apartment.
All the staff that we encountered at Reception and in the bar were excellent, very polite and helpful.
Would definitely recommend it and would book the Rutland again if staying in Edinburgh.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Patricia186487
TheRutlandReception, Receptionist at The Rutland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2013

Hello Patricia!

Thank you for such a lovely review! We are very happy to hear how much you enjoyed you stay with us and welcome your constructive comments just as much.

The Apartment truly is a gem in the heart of Edinburgh's West End but somehow without the noise that tends to go with it.

We too, hope that next time we welcome you back for a longer stay!

Kind Regards,

Receptionist

Write a ReviewReviews (1,188)

Reviewed November 20, 2013

The rooms are big and friendly. It is a small unassuming hotel with staff that are very welcoming. If you are free for dinner you could do much worse than eat in where the food is of a great standard.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank APW2026
TheRutlandReception, Receptionist at The Rutland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2013

Hello!

Thank you very much for your lovely review. Our staff very much enjoy trying their best to make sure each and every one of our guests feels welcome during their stay. Kyloe, our gourmet steak restaurant, gets rave reviews every time, so we are glad to hear that you enjoyed it too. We hope to see you again next time!

Kind regards

Sophie

Reviewed November 17, 2013

Stayed here with my wife as a long weekend,was our first visit to the city and there was the busy fringe festival on.
We were shown to our room by the really helpful reception staff,lovely large and light room,really comfy bed with a great bathroom,the breakfast was wonderful we had the full scottish each day,for the room price we thought the breakfast could have been included.
The location is a short walk from the station and very central to all the action.We had dinner in the steak restaurant upstairs and we were very impressed! we have eaten in a lot of steak restaurants all over the world and this is right up there!
Would definitely return.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
TheRutlandReception, Receptionist at The Rutland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Hello Neil,

Thank you very much for such a lovely review of your stay with us during the Edinburgh Festival this year.

We really are in a great location to reach all that Edinburgh City Centre has to offer and beyond.

Our inhouse steak restaurant, Kyloe, proves popular with both hotel guests and visitors alike, and it's rare to find people leaving unsatisfied!

Thank you again for your feedback, and we look forward to hopefully welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed November 14, 2013

Went to Edinburgh for a weekend away with my boyfriend. The Rutland was a fantastic hotel, the room was spacious with built in music system in all rooms. Our room had a jacuzzi bath which was a lovely touch. The hotel supplies hairdryer and GHD straighteners which was convenient and saved space in the weekender bag.

The staff are very attentive, they take you up to your room and see to every request. There is a taxi rank outside the hotel and you are in walking distance of the castle and just off of Princes Street.

My boyfriend and i arrived for check in early, when we arrived back later our bags had already been taken up to the room.

I would definitely stay in this hotel again, it exceeded expectations and was on par with The Missoni that we stayed in earlier in the year.

We did not eat in the restaurant but did go to the bar attached which served lovely drinks at reasonable prices. You do not hear any noise from bar when in rooms.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 9 which was a standard room. Still very spacious and no noise heard from the main...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello L C,

Thank you very much for your kind review. We are very happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us at The Rutland Hotel, Edinburgh. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the facilities available in your room, we believe these wee extras help to make your stay extra special. Our staff take pride in ensuring our guests enjoy their stay and always try their best to go above and beyond. We're very lucky to have such a prime location in the city centre, right beside a taxi rank without any of the unwanted city centre bustle. We look forward to your next visit to welcome you with open arms!

Kind regards

Sophie

Reviewed November 13, 2013

Stayed here at the beginning of November and it was blissful. Smart, chic, individual rooms, really comfy beds, great bathroom and nice extras (eg. Muffins on the bed!). It's in a great location at the prom end of Princes Street, 5 mins walk from the station. I was a bit worried when we arrived that t would be noisy as it was on a busy junction but the double glazing meant the room was totally silent and the heavy curtains meant no light pollution so nothing disturbed my sleep. Lovely cafe / bar on the ground floor for breakfast (service was a bit slow but we weren't in a hurry) and The Kyloe restaurant on the first floor was top notch - brilliant steak and great whiskey list! Would real recommend if ou want a little bit of city chic.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
TheRutlandReception, Receptionist at The Rutland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2013

Hello Sophie!

Thank you for your lovely review of your stay with us earlier this month. It's always good to hear what our guests enjoy about thier visit, so that we can ensure we are getting it right! You just can't beat a cosy and undesturbed sleep in a beautiful location can you? As for Kyloe, you are far from alone on having this opinion... a visit to our restaurant promises many taste sensations!

Thank you so much again for you wonderful comments and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed November 3, 2013

I arrived at the Rutland Hotel after more than 15 hours of travel and almost two days with no sleep. The receptionist, immediately recognizing my distress, offered to hold my bags until check-in time and directed me to the cafe next door to enjoy a complimentary cup of coffee.

The location is excellent, just off Princes St and a short walk from Edinburgh castle. My room was well-appointed and immaculately clean. The bed was comfortable and the room was extremely quiet. Though the hotel was fully booked while I was staying there, I never heard a sound from any of the other guests. The prices were very reasonable, especially compared to some of the larger hotels nearby.

I learned shortly after arriving that I had neglected to bring a power adapter from home. I asked at the front desk, and the receptionist went out of her way to find one for me. I was greeted warmly every time I passed through the lobby, even late at night and very early in the morning.

On my last night at the Rutland I enjoyed a delicious steak and chips at the adjoining Kyloe restaurant, and even received a 20% discount for being a hotel guest. If I ever have the pleasure of returning to Edinburgh, the Rutland Hotel will be the first place I check for lodging.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Hello Jason!

Thank you so very much for such a wonderful review of The Rutland Hotel, Edinburgh. We truly are spoiled with our prime location and being close enough to the action without the noise is always a welcome bonus! Our staff will always try thier best to help to ensure you enjoy your stay with us, whether it be finding you an adaptor or getting you a restaurant reservation... anything to make sure your stay with us special. Our restaurant Kyloe is very popular with both our guests, and visitors! Being able to resist food and wine like that deserves a medal.

Many thanks again, and we hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed October 24, 2013

I booked the Rutland hotel for a two night surprise trip away for my boyfriend's 30th birthday. I'd not been to Edinburgh before and I wanted to book somewhere that was well located for Princes St and the castle, as well as somewhere that was that little bit 'special'. I've always thought paying a little bit more means you should get a more comfortable pampered experience, and fortunately this is just what we got!

I paid for a package deal which meant we had two nights B&B as well as a three course meal in Kyloe restaurant (within the hotel). The night before we arrived I emailed to see if there were any castle view rooms we could upgrade to (we had a standard double booked), and not long afterwards I received a reply saying that there weren't any available, however they would offer a free upgrade to a junior suite. This was a lovely surprise as when we arrived and saw the room, it was fantastic! Each room is individually decorated and ours had a super king size bed, plenty of seating, a dressing table, bathroom with monsoon shower and jacuzzi bath, and separate w.c. They also had a hairdryer, GHD hair straighteners (a godsend for most women!), complimentary water, coffee/tea etc., flatscreen tv, and (my fave!) a bluetooth sound system, which allowed us to play music via my phone (even had speakers in the bathroom!).

The quality of the room and furnishings was what you would expect from this kind of boutique hotel - and of course this is reflected in the price. However what made the stay so good was the politeness of the staff and their willingness to make our stay that little bit more special. As they knew we were celebrating a birthday, when we arrived on the first night they had given us a chilled complimentary bottle of prosecco, and we also had an extra glass each when we arrived for our meal on the first night. Freshly made raspberry muffins, bathrobes, and even the bottles of water, were very gratefully used/consumed!

Kyloe restaurant is top notch, particularly if you are a steak fan. The staff are very polite and attentive, and they even bring out a platter of the raw steaks and explain exactly what each one is, before you order. I had the fillet and my other half had a t-bone. Both were cooked perfectly and the home cooked chips and green beans were perfect too. I finished off with the peanut butter and jelly cheesecake, which was devine. Prices are quite reasonable too. I would say for three courses each (both with steak), with wine, it's around £40-50 each.

Also on site is the Huxley bar, which is open until late at night but is also where the guests eat breakfast. It is a set menu of around 8 choices. I had eggs benedict one day and the full Scottish breakfast on the other. Both were delicious. Again, the staff were very attentive and polite - something I found with everyone I came across in Edinburgh.

The hotel is on the corner of Rutland Street and Princes St. So a 2 minute walk to the nearest shops, across the road from Princes St Gardens, a 5/10 minute walk to the castle, and a very short taxi ride to the Grassmarket area. A taxi from Waverley train station cost us around £4-5.

I know everyone has their own experience of staying at hotels, but for us, there wasn't a single negative about our stay, other than the fact we wanted to stay longer but couldn't! Considering the likes of the Premier Inn is not that much cheaper, I would definitely recommend paying that little bit more for a stay which is much more luxurious.

Note - the ratings for fitness suite/pool are not applicable as I don't think they had one (that I know of)

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank griff1981
TheRutlandReception, Receptionist at The Rutland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

Hi Emma,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review!

We try hard to make each stay as special and as individual as we can and I'm glad your boyfriend had such a great birthday!

Perhaps you can persuade your boyfriend to bring you back for your birthday! (It's only fair right?!)

Abi