“Not for the business traveler” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Rutland Hotel

The Rutland Hotel
Ranked #8 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Paris, France
“Not for the business traveler”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

Stayed at the Rutland Hotel a couple of nights on a business trip. It was a mistake. The positives: small hotel of 12 rooms, well located in the centre of Edinburgh. Quiet. Good bed and originally decorated rooms. Kind staff. The negatives: Staff's good will does not replace plain professionalism; light humidity smell in room #4; windows do not open (and the worst is being told that it is for my security, come on, you're not Hilton so avoid those ridiculous remarks); no full breakfast before 8am, that is just incredible. They offered an in-room alternative at 7am but coffee was served 15 minutes after the toasts. I have seen (smelly) breakfast food trays in the corridors at 10pm, 12 or 14 hours after being eaten: nobody would think of removing them. Free WiFi is good but why do I need to re-login every 20 minutes on each device with an awfully complex password? Conclusion: I might stay again but only on a leisure, not a business trip.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Voyageur3012
murray w, General Manager at The Rutland Hotel, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Mr Mathilde

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at The Rutland. I would like to address some of the concerns you have noted.

The windows throughout the 4 floors of our property do not open beacause we are a Grade A listed building & in as such are prevented by Scottish Heritage law from making any changes, ie fitting modern glazed windows - therefore, in the interests of preserving the original features of such a building all windows are (unfortunately) sealed shut.

As you have observed, we are a small 12 bedroom boutique hotel & therefore have very little demand for breakfast in public areas prior to 8am - the in-room options however are substantial & of superb quality; please do accept my apology for the delay in coffeed being delivered to your room.

Our free broadband WIFI is password protected to ensure best possible speeds for our patrons at all times (said passwords automatically log users off after 24 hours to prevent congestion within the connection) - having checked the WIFI connection myself I cannot replicate the issue you describe - perhaps this could be attributable to your own device?

Thank you for bringing to my attention the issue regarding used room service trays not being collected - we will ensure this is an oversight that is not repeated.

Many thanks again for your comments.

Murray Ward

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Franklin, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

I like this centrally located, small hotel. The people that work there are over-the-top friendly. The rooms are comfortable and I like being on Princess Street. In the past I've stayed on the Royal Mile or out of the city. I think this is my favourite area to stay. There is a taxi rank right outside the door and if you want upscale dining the restaurants at the Waldorf Hotel are just across the street.

My only complaint about the hotel and it's a very small one, is that typically in a boutique hotel the staff is well versed in recommending restaurants that would appeal to people that stay at that kind of hotel. Not so much here. When we asked about a breakfast suggestion, the very sweet young lady suggested BHS (the department store). We had a similar experience with dinner. So my only suggestion is if you stay here and if food is important to you, have a plan.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Peebles, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

My husband and I were booked into Tigerlily, but when the lift broke down, they kindly arranged a wheelchair accessible suite for us in the The Rutland Hotel. Central location - ideal for touring Edinburgh town centre. The staff were helpful and our bedroom suite was enormous. The only downsides were:
1 The lift wasn't very big and I had to dismantle the footrests from my powerchair to fit into it.
2 The noise from the roadworks (laying the tramlines) outside at 8.00am. This is fine if you are an early riser (which we normally are) but wanting a rare lie in, it spoiled our relax.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

This review is submitted by George the tortoise age 7yrs.
Last weekend my daddy took me to Edinburgh on my way to meet my new mummy who was going to look after me following my 'accident'. I say 'accident' but we all know what really happened, Mildred viciously and deliberately bit me in an unprovoked(ish) attack. Anyway Daddy says that we now have to live separately so that I can recover in peace (and plot my revenge on Mildred).

We stayed at the Rutland where we received a very excited welcome from the lovely people at reception. The nice young lady at reception also printed an email for me which was very kind and she also offered me a free copy of The Scotsman which would have come in very handy if I'd had an accident in the room (which I didn't by the way).

We were allocated room number 1 which was huge and I don't think that I even managed to walk all the way round it. I had to stop and have a nap behind the bin at one point before moving on to the bathroom which again was massive and fortunately had a wet room area so no steps or baths for me to navigate. The room was so big I could have happily lived there for the rest of my life, but they would need to stock the minibar area with dandelions and rocket salad leaves otherwise I would end up as fat as daddy.

The room was beautifully furnished and the wall mounted flat screen TV was bigger that my entire tortoise house back home. Some lovely home made muffins were placed on the bed upon our arrival but then they seemed to vanish. I think that Daddy ate them whilst i was trying to explore under the bed. Daddy also ate some of the pretzels from the minibar area so they can't have been that expensive otherwise he wouldn't have eaten them. The whole hotel was clean and well maintained and all the staff were friendly and excited to see me.

I would love to stay here again some time, maybe on my way back to London one day. Did you get that Mildred? and PS I've been working out!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank mjellis99
Arbroath, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

We have just returned from a one night stay at The Rutland (a competition win with my work - how lucky was I?!?). From stepping foot through the door to Reception to checking out on the Sunday morning, nothing was ever too much trouble for the staff. Lovely Isobel on Reception, to the staff at the Kyloe Restaurant (amazing food) and a lovely breakfast in the Huxley Bar the following morning, everything was just perfect. Whilst dining in the Kyloe Restaurant however, we did experience a power cut (due to the tram works outside) so we didn't manage to have our sweet (probably a good thing given the amount of food we had already consumed!) but this was dealt with very efficiently with the bill discounted as a token gesture and by no means could the Hotel/Restaurant be faulted for this. A truly wonderful hotel in a wonderful location, just perfect for shopping and the many wonderful bars of Edinburgh. Hoping to return again soon.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lynne F
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights at the Rutland in the last week of February and, as a hotel, we cannot fault it. The staff were friendly and helpful, and nothing was too much trouble (including printing our boarding passes for us, looking after our bags after check-out etc etc.). We received a complimentary upgrade on our room (room 5), which was comfortable, stylish and with all the amenities required (if I was going to be very picky, the only thing it lacked was somewhere to put the tea and coffee making tray). The location was brilliant - central, but not too noisy. With the tram work going on, we did have workmen outside the building from 8am every morning, but this did not pose us a problem. I would thoroughly recommend the Rutland Hotel, and hope we have the opportunity to stay again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Beth C
Colchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

We booked this hotel as a birthday treat and also to watch Wales v Scotland at Murrayfield. Turned up a bit early and this wasn't a problem as our room was ready. Extremely helpful and charming receptionist. Our room (11) was on the top floor with views of the castle. It was large and comfortable with a huge bed. We could walk to the stadium although with all the barriers up due to the work on the tram lines we ended up walking more than normal. Great atmosphere in Edinburgh with no trouble between the fans, In fact quite the opposite even later in the evening with the bar at the hotel being a favourite spot post the match. It was a freezing weekend and when we got back we felt the room was cold especially the bathroom. We asked for some extra heating and this was brought up to our room immediately. My only other complaint was that there wasn't a bedside light on my side which is very strange. Again I asked for one and it was supplied. We had dinner at the hotel which was very good and breakfast was in the bar and that was also excellent. A good stay overall especially as Wales won!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple