“Nice, but not good value for money”
Review of The Rutland Hotel

The Rutland Hotel
Ranked #11 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I stayed at The Rutland last weekend with my Mum. It was a trip booked a while back and I chose the hotel based on the reviews I had read on TripAdvisor.

The hotel entrance is not clearly marked and we ended up finding our way via the bar....once we found reception, check in was quick and easy. Head to the Waldorf Astoria side of the The Rutland to find the hotel entrance.

Our room was nice and well decorated. The bed was large and comfortable, but the temperature was way too warm and the windows didn't open. The TV only had 4 channels, and two of them were unwatchable due to the pixellation of the digital signal. Unfortunately this just wasn't what I was expecting for the cost per night. I complained about both issues, and whilst the air con issue was addressed after chasing twice, the TV issue remained the same. Whilst I didn't want to sit and watch TV all weekend, having to choose between BBC1 and BBC 2 did seem a very limited!

In hindsight, I probably wouldn't stay at The Rutland again, because although the location is fantastic, I think there are plenty of other hotels offering better value for money.

As a side note, the roadworks in Edinburgh currently are a nightmare! They obviously need to be completed in order to get the trams in place, but it looks a mess!!

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 9 on the quiet/top floor. The lift only accesses the second floor, so expect some...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
murray w, General Manager at The Rutland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2012

Kelly B

thank you for your recent feedback regarding your stay at The Rutland. we are sorry that you feel our hotel does not represent 'value for money' - in response to your points i should however note the following - all of our televisions have a full roster of digital channels & also 4 Sky Sports channels; we are not permitted to have windows that open anywhere within the building as we are Grade A listed & therefore prohibited from making changes to the facade such as these - in as such all of our rooms are fitted with individual air conditioning control units that can be adjusted at any time by our guests & also centrally by the reception team.

it is a shame that you make no mention of our superb staff here at The Rutland - as a forward thinking enterprise we genuinely strive to ensure that our customer service, friendliness & approachability are top notch, especially when facilities (occasionally) falter.

M Ward

Write a ReviewReviews (1,160)

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights (Friday-Sunday) for my boyfriends 21st! This hotel was perfect and exceeded my expectations! After reading the reviews beforehand I decided this was the hotel to pick! The hotel is only a 2 minute walk from George Street. Receptionist was very welcoming and even showed us to our room! This is a lovely small boutique hotel with only 12 rooms! We stayed in Room 4 (executive double) which was lovely and spacious! Great thought has gone to the decor! Had 3 large windows which allowed plenty of natural light! Flat screen TV on the wall with surround sound, IPod docking station! Mini Bar, tea, coffee! The muffins on the bed on arrival were a lovely touch! We also ate at the restuarant on the 1st floor (Kyloe) on the Saturday night (I would suggest you book in advance if planning to go there as we could only get a table at 5pm or 9pm), the restuarant is amazing, we had the fillet steaks and we both agreed they were the best steaks we have had! If you dine here while staying at the hotel you will also receive a 20% discount of your bill for being a guest at the hotel :-) We also had cocktails in the bar on the Saturday afternoon! the bar was lovely and good service. All in all don't think twice about booking a stay at this hotel, just do it! I can assure you that you won't regret it :-)

Room Tip: Room 4 is spacious, lovely executive double bed, and lots of windows for natural light
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Don't like doing these types of reviews but this has to be made. We had booked and paid in full for their apartment 9 months in advance as it was during the Olympics period and we wanted to ensure we got the apartment. We arrived at around 4pm (check in was 2pm) to be told that they had sold our apartment that afternoon though they could offer us one of their best rooms on the top floor as it was, in their words "totally unacceptable" that this had happened.......What the manager hadn't realised was that we had been told by the receptionist that a group of 6 had arrived earlier and that they had been given the apartment that sleeps four, and another double room to accommodate them, and that as we were only a couple they had felt that their double room on the top floor would be just as nice !!!! Conveniently, the Manager wasn't available to speak to me when I was told this.......I was also aware that there was a Madonna concert on in Edinburgh on the same night as we arrived, so it wasn't really that difficult to work out what the Manager had done to maximise his profits for the night at our expense as virtually all Edinburgh hotels were booked out when I made enquiries later.........I do need to say that we were given refund for the price difference between the room and apartment but this meant nothing as we had booked and paid in advance for the apartments self catering facilities and space, not for a hotel room we were forced to use. As mentioned earlier, it is not pleasurable to have to write reviews of this nature, but I felt people should know that the management of this particular hotel clearly have no concept of customer service in relation to profits.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
13  Thank kevWolllongong
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Great place to stay in the heart of Edinburgh. Rooms were fantastic, wifi worked which is always a bonus. Drinks not too expensive. I didn't eat, but the food looked amazing. Bear in mind that there are some major road works going on in Edinburgh at the moment, so if you are travelling by air, get the airport bus and get off at Hope Street. It's only £3.50 and doesn't take long. Don't buy a ticket in advance. It's no quicker!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank silvercottage84
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Just one night in Edinburgh. Read good things about the hotel and certainly lived up to its reputation. Room 7 (Executive room) is good size and bed is comfortable but with a rather small window (hence not much natural lights) but bathroom is nice and airy. Staff are friendly and helpful - muffins is a great touch. Excellent location but with all the work for the trams etc, Edinburgh seems to have lost its charm......(not the hotel's fault obviously!).

Rutland bar next door has an amazing view if you're quick enough to grab the little corner overlooking the castle. Kyloe restaurant upstairs serves really lovely steaks. All in all, a perfect set up for a one night stop-over in Edinburgh. Everything is literally on your door step.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Stayed in Room 1 at this hotel from Sunday through to Wednesday morning.

Very very large room. Great extras such as GHD's, IPOD dock station and massive plasma/lcd screen with surround sound.

Tea and coffee making were hid away in large wardrobe/cupboard. Ironing board and mini bar.

Bathroom .... I mean wet/shower room. I wasnt keen on this (I know the room caters for disabled travellers). Shower water ran all through the space which meant drying up if you wanted to use the toilet or sink. Also the sink in this room is tiny and set low on the wall. I had to put water in mug to pour into kettle.

Monday AM had breakfast brought to the room as staff staying here had an early start for conference - pot of tea was no problem. When we asked for same Monday night for Tuesday am were told this was not possible - make your own in your room - just surprised. Apart from this person - the rest of the staff were very pleasant and helpful. Although I was asked to pay 2.00 on check out when I had only used some milk from the fridge.

Room Tip: Room 1 - lots of space (but conscious of noise from the door from the lift hall)
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Mumzacab
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We love this hotel. Nothing is too much trouble. It was my 60th Birthday and a chilled bottle of bubbly was waiting for us in the room. The rooms are gorgeous, so relaxing, ample tea and coffee (the staff actually went out and bought me a jar of decaff) Nice central location. Restaurant was superb.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple