“A relaxing stay”

Ranked #9 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“A relaxing stay”
Reviewed July 21, 2011

A lovely hotel which is excellent value. The staff are very helpful and friendly and made it feel a warm place to return after a day of site seeing. I will definitely be returning to this hotel and probably stay longer

1 Thank davidmarkjackson
IMRDEdinburgh, Public Relations Manager at The Rutland Hotel, responded to this review, August 3, 2011
Thanks so much for leaving us a review - we really value our guest feedback. Your kind comments have been passed onto the rest of the team and we look forward to seeing you back with us very soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed July 4, 2011

My husband and I made a quick trip to Edinburgh. Our stay at the Rutland made it feel we were visiting friends. The people at the front desk are helpful, funny and friendly. Well-located, beautifully furnished (if a little over the top), and thoughtfully designed. The bathroom mirror has a sensor that turns on lights with the wave of a hand and the bed is angled just right in room 12 to see the castle all lit up at night. The hotel was having internet update issues while we were there, but we really felt the staff did everything possible to make certain we could get on line.
Our meals at the hotel--breakfast and dinner--were the best of our visit to Edinburgh. Good service and great food with good choices; we liked it a lot.
Great stay in a lovely city.

1 Thank 2020trav
Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review; we really appreciate your feedback. Delighted that you were made to feel so welcome by our team! You'll be pleased to hear that our internet issues are resolved and our wifi is now working again. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 29, 2011

My husband and I stayed at The Rutland for a 4 day break after our wedding and we were also celebrating my 30th.
I called and confirmed our booking while we were on the train to Edinburgh, and I was told "Yes, you're coming for your honeymoon aren't you? We're just getting your room ready now". They also knew it was my Birthday.
I was a little bit disappointed when we arrived in the room and no extra effort had been made i.e. some flowers or a bottle of something, as a wedding gift from the hotel.
On the morning of my birthday we ordered breakfast in our room, which was very nice-but again no extra effort.
The room was lovely, and very nicely decorated. We had a castle view, which was only viewable if you really leaned into the window annex. The bed is very soft, so if prefer a bed with support then don't stay here!
The location is fantastic! Walkable to the shops and bars.
I used the Camomile Spa which was lovely, and guests of the hotel get a 15% discount. It's just the next street down from the hotel. So, again walkable.
There are GHD's and a good hair dryer so no need to take your own.
There is a fridge in the room, and the hotel provide fresh milk which was a nice touch.
Our main complaint from our stay was the noise! During the 4 days I didn't have a full nights sleep, because of the banging doors. The doors are heavy and make an almighty bang when they close. Every time the doors bang it sounds like someone is trying to get in your room, which made me jump out of bed! I did mention it and the lady on reception said she'd look into it. But i'd advise taking ear plugs!
Overall, a lovely hotel, with a lovely bar, and in a central spot for all the shops and pubs.

4 Thank Nickinoo29
Reviewed June 27, 2011

The best hotel we have stayed in. Friendly reception staff, Carolina and Liz. Would recommend hotel to anyone. Staff Made us feel very welcome. Ideal for special occasions! We got engaged and that night had complimentary glasses of champagne in the bar. Also received a birthday card for my boyfriends 30th. Complimentary muffins as well in the room on arrival. All in all an excellent time!!

• Stayed June 2011
North Wales, UK
Reviewed June 24, 2011

This is a very nice hotel at the end of Princess Street with a good, cheap breakfast enjoyed as Edinburgh denizens journeyed to work past the large windows. The breakfast portions were huge for the price. Supper at the hotel was superb with a 20% discount for hotel guests. I had the best steak I have ever had anywhere. THe beer was a reasonable price and the staff were very pleasant, helpful and kind. OUr mini-suite had a view of the castle, albeit very limited but the suite was otherwise well appointed with a large airy bathroom and bedroom.

2 Thank dyfthegog
Bethesda, MD
Reviewed June 20, 2011

Stayed at Rutland Hotel for two nights. It is clean, modern, nice rooms and bathrooms, friendly and very helpful staff, conveniently located near Edinburgh Castle. The only drawback is that our room got a little stuffy because the AC is not strong enough to cope with warm weather and the windows do not open. I think we were in Room 3 but I'm not sure. It was west facing and got afternoon sun.

We would stay at the Rutland again without a doubt; overall we liked it a lot.

3 Thank GTfromDC
Hong Kong
Reviewed June 17, 2011

My partner and I stayed in a castle view room. The deco was contemporary baroque with black colour scheme. The lamps and chandelier were also in black with was coordinated with the fabric in the bed board and the curtain. The king size bed was soft and comfortable. The sheets and duvet were of high quality. Everything were sparkling clean.

The bathroom was done in white and was roomy with a jacuzzi.

It appears that no expenses had been spared in decorating this room.

The only glitches were there was no socket outlet at the work table so I had to charge my computer from the bed. The glass enclosure at the jacuzzi was tiny and everytime I took a shower the bathroom floor got wet. The wifi was slow. But all this could be expected from boutique hotels were it is all so common that ergonomic and small things got overlooked.

I totally enjoyed my stay and all staff I met were friendly. I would recommend this place if you like hotels with characters.

2 Thank LewisHongKong
IMRDEdinburgh, Public Relations Manager at The Rutland Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2011
Thanks so much for leaving a review, we always appreciate feedback from our guests. Glad that you liked the decor, customer service and attention to detail in your room. We have noted your point about the shower screen and sockets; we now have extension leads available to borrow from Reception and we are looking into the shower screen size. During the week of your stay we were having issues with the wifi connection - we now have new wifi hubs and cabling so this issue has been resolved. Thanks again for your comments and feedback!