“Excellent every time!”
Review of Mithas - CLOSED

Mithas
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Mithas is an innovative and exquisite Indian dining experience that reflects true Indian flavours using traditional methods in a contemporary setting. The chefs were handpicked to deliver what was cited by known food critics as 'bold, exciting and unimaginable within Indian cooking'. Our contemporary take is rooted in age-old traditions, therefore delivering taste sensations that take you beyond your expectations but with a reminder of the origins. Mithas's preparatory methods include the three core Indian cooking styles; Tandoor (clay ovens with temperatures of up to 390ºC), Sigri (cooking over a coal flame) and Tawa (searing and griddling on hot plate). The food is immediately served as it is prepared retaining its freshness, fragrant and delectable flavours. We sincerely hope you enjoy the Mithas dining experience!
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Excellent every time!”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I have been to this restaurant several times over the last 7 months now and I have to say it has been spot on every time. The service has been wonderful and the food amazing. I looked through the handful of poor reviews and was very surprised at some of the comments as I have always been very happy with every aspect. Yes the food is a bit more expensive but it is great and I feel this is offset by the BYOB and no corkage charges. The round tables right at the back are the nicest or the boothes are also nice. Definately would recommend as it always feels like a special occassion when I go, definately my favourite restaurant in Edinburgh.All this talk about food...... think I'll go back tonight!

• Visited December 2012
8 Thank Kelly C
MithasRestaurant, Public Relations Manager at Mithas, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Reviewer, Thank you very much for your great comments for Mithas. We are not licensed but you are more than welcome to bring wines along with you, however, we do offer a wide range of mocktails, fresh fruit juices and traditional drinks too such as lassis as a tasty alternative. We want all of our guests to feel special at Mithas, we endeavour to create an incredible experience through our attentive service and fresh, flavoursome, innovative dishes that will make you forget about any stresses you have!

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“A real treat!”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We went as a birthday treat and had the tasting menu. As many other reviews have mentioned, we took along our own wine and the waiters kept us topped up through the night. We were completely bamboozled from the first course - the flavours in each course were out of this world! Everything was beautifully cooked and a real treat. And then a massive curry arrived! I was in heaven, it's set a new bar for Indian in Edinburgh.

The girlfriend is gluten intolerant and she had no problems on the tasting menu - she only missed out on the naan bread, had a (delicious) GF substitute course at one point and apart from that could enjoy it all.

Really very, very good. Worth a visit - go when hungry!

Visited January 2013
7 Thank adamr495
Dear Reviewer, Thank you for leaving Mithas a review on Trip Advisor. We are delighted that you came along for a birthday treat – if you are visiting for a birthday meal, let our front of house know when you book and they can arrange a cake or special dessert especially for you. We make all of our dishes fresh to order which means it is easy for us to adjust ingredients according to allergies and intolerances. We are looking forward to your next visit!
Cranleigh, United Kingdom
“Fabulous!”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We went to this restaurant on New Years Day (for mine and my brothers birhday). When we first arrived, I asked for the wine list only to be told that they didn't serve alcohol..... BUT you could bring your own at no cost!!! BRILLIANT!

Luckily my brother only lives a 3 minute walk away from the restaurant, so he went back to get a couple bottles of champagne from the flat and brought them back to the restaurant.

The staff served the champagne in beautiful glasses and it was fab because anywhere else, you would have to pay a fortune to drink champagne!

The restaurant is beautifully decorated to an extroadinarily high standard (marble floors, expensive light fittings etc) and the atmosphere was great.

Now on to the food... on first glance there doesnt appear to be the usual choice of food when you visit a curry house, however the menu was AMAZING! We tried a few dishes that I would never have thought of trying normally (try the sweet potato dish, it was really tasty). The prices were a little higher than a normal curry house, with main dishes ranging from about £12-20.

Overall, I would highly recommend trying out this place - it's a hidden gem in Leith by the waterfront and really is special.

• Visited January 2013
7 Thank sarah j
MithasRestaurant, Public Relations Manager at Mithas, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Dear Reviewer, Thank you for your lovely comments. We had a great New Years Day at Mithas so thank you for spending it with us. The delicious sweet potato dish that you mentioned is packed full of flavour; roasted sweet potato on the tawa, served with tamarind sauce and accompanied with a cumin flavoured yoghurt. It is just one of the many dishes we have on our vegetarian menu. We hope to see you again soon.
Edinburgh
“Lived up to expectations!”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We chose Mithas for our hogmanay dinner and it was the best dinner we have had in ages! We chose the tasting menu and had course after course of the most wonderful food. We took the option with lobster, expecting a wee portion of lobster at some point, but we're presented with a whole lobster!
The service too was attentive and warm from start to finish.
Another plus is byob, this makes going out for an expensive meal a more realistic treat as you sacrifice the cost of the wine.
Thanks for a lovely night Mithas! We will be back soon.

6 Thank Claire M
Dear Reviewer, Thank you for joining us for Hogmanay, it was a brilliant evening. Our lobster is a favourite dish; locally sourced whole lobster cooked on the tawa in a vine tomato based sauce with a delicate honey and spice tempering. We are looking forward to your next visit to Mithas.
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Dreadful Customer Service”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Terrible service from the boss/owner. He was very arrogant and unpleasant. My wife and I were very much looking forward to visiting this highly recommended restaurant (small children at home - babysitters at a premium - a lot of you will understand) but I'm afraid we chose not to eat at the restaurant due to the unhelpful and upsetting manner of the boss. I don't eat out much these days (as I mentioned, young family at home) but I did when I was younger and the treatment and service I received was the worst I have ever experienced. It was really, genuinely bad. Given the swathe of excellent reviews for this restaurant I suspect I must just have caught him on a bad day, but I remain perplexed at the treatment I received.

• Visited December 2012
18 Thank Colin W
Dear Reviewer, we are very disappointed to hear that your recent visit to Mithas did not meet your expectations. We strive to offer a seamless experience for all of our guests from the moment you book. As you can see from our other reviews, we take our service and attentiveness very seriously and believe it is just as important as the food and presentation. We are sorry to hear that you chose not to eat at the restaurant on this occasion: every one of our talented team is trained to the highest standard which enables us to offer our guests the special dining experience found at Mithas.