“Great place to stay in Edinburgh”

Amaryllis Guest House
Ranked #152 of 394 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 2, 2013

We stayed here in October 2012 for 2 nights. This guest house is in a lovely old-fashioned building. I see previous reviews were critical of the front garden but we did not see any fault with it. It looked tidy and well maintained. We had a nice sized room with one double and one single bed. Bathroom bit small but adequate. Generally cleanliness good. Choice of cooked breakfast, you choose night before and leave a note in reception. Nice quality of breakfast and enough to set you up for a day of sight-seeing. The owner welcomed us on arrival and also served the breakfast however you did not see any staff about as you were coming in or out as there was no formal reception. This suited us as we liked our privacy. The owner was not too chatty but friendly enough. This place was excellent value and great location. we walked in and out of town centre (or you can get the bus) at all times of day and night and felt safe doing so. Lots of nice local bars nearby to get away from the tourist routes in the evening. We look forward to a return visit.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DBerm
ghamaryllis, Owner at Amaryllis Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2013

Many thanks for your review. We are very happy you enjoyed being here and hope to see you again.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

For the price we were charged for this room, one would have expected a reasonable standard of fixtures and general appointment but it was a sad disappointment! Had it not been for the unlikelyhood of being able to find alternative accommodation of a better standard nearby at that hour of the evening, we would have checked straight out again! In addition, it had been booked through Last Minute.com and I have found , on a previous occasion, getting back one’s money when it is a third party booking problematical, so we were stuck with it! I’m not one to carp most of the time but this place had me getting out my notebook to jot down things almost as soon as we arrived!

The ‘complimentary’ tea & coffee making facilities had a bowl full of teabags, sugar sachets etc but the teabags were damp and stuck together, obviously not fresh! Yuck!

It was particularly cold when we arrived and the radiators were off. I managed by some judicious fiddling to get one of them (it was a big room) working half heartedly but the second one refused to heat up (although, on our second night there, I did manage with a little fiddling with the valves, to get it slightly warm). The heater in the ensuite appeared to be a fan heater screwed to the roof – probably only just acceptable for bathroom safety standards! The only way to turn this on was a short pull cord but this pull cord would not have been accessible by anyone who could not reach higher that 2.0 metres!

The vanity mirror light over the washbasin in the actual bedroom was not working (and there was no mirror or light near the ensuite basin). I do not use an electric shaver so I was unable to establish if the shaver point on this worked. As it was, I could never get the hot water warm enough to have a decent wet shave, even though I left the tap running for several minutes.

The use of the ensuite in this place needed one to almost be a limbo dancer!
One of my pet hates is toilet seats that won’t stand up when raised for a man to use a toilet. In this place, not only did the seat not stand up but it would be almost impossible for anyone of a larger build (or perhaps very pregnant) to actually access the toilet! Situated in a cramped corner between the shower and the window, the gap between the shower cabinet and the washbasin (the only access to the toilet) was less than width of my hips - and I am a person of slim to average build! – necessitating a “sideways” shuffle to approach it! Even when actually at the toilet, the washbasin was so close that it made manoeuvring for any purpose – either by a male or a female – difficult!

The ensuite shower did work reasonably well but the only form of washing material was an almost empty bottle of the very cheapest shower gel (it had the price on it!). This ran out before our last night but, so poor was the servicing of the room that I had to go and find someone to request a fresh bottle. The whole room gave one the impression of not being properly cleaned. We checked the beds (it was described as a ‘family’ room with a double, two singles and a couple of bunk beds) and rejected the double bed because the pillows and bedding did not seem very fresh. All the beds were very basic with mattresses that would have been only just acceptable in a youth hostel, let alone a room with the tariff this one had! There was a cheap paper globe on the central light and one could see the piles of dead flies and dust retained within it. The top rail of the bunk beds had a very visible layer of dust and had obviously not been wiped for a long time.

All in all, the place was probably just about acceptable as a cheap boarding house but for the price we paid it was a rip off! It clouded our visit to the fair city of Edinburgh and has put me off booking rooms in advance without actually being able to see the room. Now I know why their page on the Last Minute.com site did not show any pictures of the rooms!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank brittravEastMidlands
ghamaryllis, Owner at Amaryllis Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

This review is not unexpected. These guests were just awful. I should have known from the emails before they arrived complaining about the train and ticketing services which seemed to stress them out before they even travelled.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

had a two night stay, cathy and the staff were very friendly,rooms were spacious and the beds were very comfy,couldnt fault the breakfast very very good i had the full english but plenty off choice on offer, location was ideal only 15-20min walk to princess street and other attractions. would i stay here again yes and would recommened the amaryllis with out hesitation

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Many thanks for your review. I am so please you enjoyed your stay with us

Reviewed August 28, 2012

Reasonably priced, very handy for the castle, royal mile and other Edinburgh attractions. Friendly welcome and helpful staff throughout. Excellent breakfast served in bright and airy breakfast room. Well recommended.

Room Tip: Ring beforehand to discuss requirements.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Many thanks for your lovely review. We hope to welcome you again sometime

Reviewed August 2, 2012

Had a three night stay for business. This is a well located B@B - one can walk to all the tourist sites. It is in a pretty Georgian house with well proportioned rooms and a lovely front garden - certainly not a junky front yard. My top floor room was cosy; this was particularly noticeable as it was raining heavily most of the days and it was a real pleasure to get in. The two women who run it are friendly and helpful. For the money this is very good value if one looks at the competition. The area itself is an attractive one with small, interesting shops. There is a choice of breakfasts which admittedly are not a particularly high standard but then you get what you pay for. If I return to Edinburgh would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
ghamaryllis, Owner at Amaryllis Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2012

Many thanks for your lovely review. I am very pleased you are as perplexed as I am at the comments about junky front yard etc. We hope to welcome you again sometime.

Reviewed June 11, 2012 via mobile

Pros: close to the city centre, view at Edi castle, friendly staff, tasty breakfast, large room with chairs, cosy atmosphere, payable via card with no surcharge.

Cons: unsufficient water pressure in shower, junky front yard, hall full of cigarette smoke, 30-45min timeframe for breakfast, lousy room doorlock.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank MacMatak
ghamaryllis, Owner at Amaryllis Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2012

I simply cannot understand what this reviewer is talking about ! I am very pleased to see other independant guests are of the same opinion.

Reviewed April 30, 2012

My wife & I stayed here for 2 nights.
We had a room on the top floor with ensuite. There was a choice of breakfasts, which was nice (you fill in a form the night before). I had a cooked breakfast & my wife had yoghurt & fruit. Both very good.
The guest house was in a good location. About 5 mins walk to the Grassmarket area (lots of bars, restaurants) & 10 mins walk to Princes St. We were tired after walking all around the castle, so we got a bus back, which was £1.40 each (tip: make sure you have exact change, otherwise you'll encounter a grumpy Scottish bus driver!).
We got a taxi to/from the airport, which cost about £18 each-way.
We also did a day tour to the Highlands, which I can thoroughly recommend as the scenery is spectacular. This was organised through the owners and included a pick-up from the guest house.
Overall, extremely hard to fault the place really, especially as the price was very competitive.

Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
ghamaryllis, Owner at Amaryllis Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2012

Many thanks we appreciate your review very much