“nice place for visiting the Fringe festival”

Edinburgh Central Youth Hostel
Ranked #36 of 218 Specialty Lodging in Edinburgh
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We stayed with youththeatercompany in this hotel.
Our findings:
- comfortable rooms
- nice to have toilet/douche on the room
- breakfast is basic
- helpfull staff
- great kitchenfacilities
During the festival is the stay in this hostel expensive (but that's everywhere in the city during the festival)

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 14, 2013

We had booked a quad room here and were thrilled to find we had a double bed with single bunk over and a single bed in a room with a small table and 2 chairs as well as our own shower, basin and toilet. We had a couple of cabinets to unpack our stuff into as well.
The kitchen is big, clean and well-managed so things are put away and food is all kept labelled.
Space in the dining room is limited when it's busy.
The location couldn't be better - 15 minutes into town and 5 minutes from a Tesco.
Staff on reception could be more friendly and welcoming.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Great and comfortable hostel. Service downstairs is great.
Breakfast a little pricy at £4.50 continental and £6 for cooked. (Vegetarian option available).

Great for Muslim visitors as local mosque (Anwar-e-Madina mosque and community centre) is 2 min down the road.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank hassooni
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This is a busy main road site but the use of the ground floor as a bistro seems a brilliant idea and the evening meal I had was really good.

The room was very clean and well appointed - though my bed light didn't work and there was no way of fixing it until Maintenance came on duty in the morning. (NB it wasn't the bulb and they wouldn't allow me to check the plug!)

Having enjoyed the evening meal I was looking forward to breakfast but I fear 'fruit' meant just a bowl of apples and the yogurt was truly grim. Same as in Glasgow so I suspect centrally sourced. Ah well.

Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

Visited Edinburgh for just 2 days and needed somewhere cheap for a big group including a child. Found this hostel and I had my doubts at first but once I got there I was happy. The location was beyond perfect. Roughly 10 mins walk from the centre of town ie waverley street and north bridge. Calton hill was right besides it and its a must if visiting Edinburgh.
The room was clean and beds were comfortable. However the pillows were far too small and not the most comfortable. The street was lively all night and the noise did disturb sleep a bit but can see this as a positive.
The staff were friendly and very helpful regardless of the time. The paid breakfast was wonderful and provided us with a wide variety of food.
Overall, the hostel turned out to be better than expected and would definitely book again if I visit the city. Would highly recommend it for the staff and location itself.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Sauharda
Reviewed July 16, 2013

On my solo trip stayed here for two nights. The booking confirmation printout had very detailed direction for getting here from the airport and I could very easily get to the hostel. It is conveniently located at a walking distance from the waverly bridge which is a starting point for all the city tour buses and visitor information center. Staff at hostel front desk, cafe and maintenance was very helpful and I had no issues with the food too. (Though if you are like me - only fish and chicken then not many options for non-veg food). Breakfast was ok. Lived in dorm of 4 and bed was clean and comfortable. Power adapters on refundable deposits is what I appreciated a lot. Only let down was before checking in you have to pay for the luggage lockers. Little disappointed with that but apart from that is highly recommended for stay.

1  Thank Ashutosh_Soman
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Convenient location not too far from the rail station. Check In was efficient. I arrived before check in though and was not especially impressed to be told I would have to pay for a locker to store my belongings. I was especially unimpressed when I discovered during my stay that there is a luggage storage room downstairs.

The bedroom was fine, comfortable but my pillow had seen better days. The room did suffer from a lot of street noise on the Friday night. The rooms are en suite which is probably nice when you are staying on a private rental basis but when you are staying in a shared dormitory it is not nice listening to the person who gets up at 5am using the toilet and shower!

The self catering kitchen and dining room were pleasant. The breakfast was OK, but the staff in the breakfast area did not seem that interested. I skipped breakfast the second morning and got some stuff from a nearby SCOTMID instead. The staff on reception were better and helpful.

1  Thank rtl2