“pleseantly surprised”

Leonardo Royal Hotel Edinburgh
Ranked #93 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
“pleseantly surprised”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

having never stayed with any hotel chain before, honestly i wasn't expecting much... but i was pleasantly surprised. The staff was fantastic and very welcoming and extremely helpful with directions and recommendations on what to do whilst in the city.

the rooms were well equipped, only small matter that let the room down was the having ordered a twin room, we actually got a room with a double bed and a single bed (although this is the norm, surely they could have a few rooms with 2 single beds..?)

the food in the hotel was fantastic, although service in the restaurant was a little slow, even when it was quiet.

but all in all, i would recommend premier inn, and would stay with them again

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank 5helli3
HaymarketOps, Manager at Leonardo Royal Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear 5helli,

Thank you for your kind review of Premier Inn Edinburgh City Centre (Haymarket).

I am so glad you enjoyed your first stay with a Premier Inn, and do hope we see you again.

Typically Premier Inn's standard Twin Room, will consist of a Double Bed & a Single bed. The reason behind this is due to the fact that although we cater for all kinds of guests, we have a large number of families who stay with us. Giving the 2 sized beds in the room means that it can be used by all ages and sizes.
A few selected Premier Inn's do have 2 single beds, info on these can be found on our website.

We value your feedback and I will ensure you kind comments are passed on to the team.

John Boswell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (414)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Wigtown
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

Stayed just one night and was not disappointed. The staff were very welcoming and helpful. The room had everything you'd need and was very clean. The bed wasn't as comfortable as their Travelodge competitors and was strangely high! They did win points over the Travelodge though for providing shower gel and soap dispensers.There was parking on site which was cheaper and more secure than the NCP car park opposite. It was great to leave the car and go exploring without worrying. For a convenient no frills base to explore the city it was ideal, if a little expensive.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Louise M
HaymarketOps, Manager at Leonardo Royal Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review of our Premier inn, we thank you for your feedback and hope to see you again soon.

South East England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

I stay in many premier inns across the UK win work and the standard or room and facilities is consistent. The rooms are basic but you get what you need, apart from a lack of plug sockets next to the bed. But I think this is a trick all hotels adopt to minimise the use of plugs over night.
The restaurant however is another matter. The staff are pleasant, not amazing but acceptable. The menu is standard as in all premier inns but the quality varies. On this trip I was staying a week so ate out most nights as the hotel is so well situated near the centre of Edinburgh there is plenty of choice. One night I did eat in the restaurant and was greeted well and sat down quickly with a food and drinks menu provided. I opted for the chicken wings with Franks hot sauce followed by the steak side salad and chips. The restaurant was only 1/2 busy but I feel the kitchen were maybe under staffed as the starter too an age to come then I waited 20 minutes with a cleared plate before I asked a member of staff to clear my plate and bring my mains. The starter was fine but for me there was not enough hot sauce. Now I do like hot food so maybe this is fine for the masses but maybe an offer of more hot sauce on the side if the customer wishes could be an option. When the steak arrived, it was as I had asked for medium rare, but it had not been rested. Meaning juices from the steak were oozing out all over the plate and making the chips soggy. It should not have been sent out this was and the waitress should have picked it up before arriving at my table. I was not asked during my meal how everything was and there became a lack of available staff again due to it being busy somewhere but not in the restaurant. I mopped up the juices with a napkin and ate my meal which was fine but that's all just fine. I then approached the till where a manager as now positioned, so instead of waiting an unknown length of time I asked for the bill. He asked if my meal was ok and I explained my issues. He was very polite, apologies end for the time, lack of attentive staff and steak situation and offered a complimentary drink from the bar. In my opinion he handled the situation well and redeemed something. All in all the hotel does what it says but maybe eat out for quality food.

Room Tip: Room 130 is huge and light as its on a corner so you get views on 2 sides
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
HaymarketOps, Manager at Leonardo Royal Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks you for your review of our Premier inn. We value all feedback and take your comments board to ensure we can provide world-class service to all of our guests.

We hope to see you again soon,

Kind Regards,

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

Arrived and the hotel was busy but reception dealt with everyone quickly and effectively.

Room was average room. Good size .

Hotel in general was in good location cinema and shopping in all directions. bus outside to city centre and zoo.
All in all pleasant experience

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank abgirl94
HaymarketOps, Manager at Leonardo Royal Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review of our Premier Inn, I am glad you enjoyed your stay; I will ensure you feedback is shared with the team.

Hope to see you again soon!

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

Normal Premier Inn-clean rooms, comfy bed. Our room was a family room so we had a single bed which we mainly used to put bags on. Bathroom was basic-towel warmer was a nice bonus, although ultra recycled toilet paper was horrid. Fan in the room was also a nice difference.
Wifi should be free, and not just for 30mins. While £3 for 24hours is not as bad as other hotels, it is still what many consider a necessity and should be free.
Cannot comment on the breakfast as we didn't eat here.
Think overall it's a good hotel in a good location, but perhaps a little overpriced.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Victoriakm
Dear Guest,

Hope to see you again soon!

Maybole, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

I stayed here and found the rooms and staff to be okay. However, the cost was extremely expensive for what the accommodation offered. £101.50 per night B&B and had to pay £8.00 per night for parking on top of this. Breakfast was no more than okay. The accommodation is noisy and has no facilities. It would be okay at £50.00 per night but not worth anymore!

Room Tip: No rooms are any different from speaking to fellow guests.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Mitchell W
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Leonardo Royal Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. It really matters to us that our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay. We sincerely apologise that on this occasion our hotel fell far short of your expectations. Your feedback is very much appreciated as it enables us to improve standards. Please be assured that the issues raised will be fully investigated. Thank you once again for your review.
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

Very conveniently located in the centre of Edinburgh, near to the University, city centre, the Castle and shops etc. Easy connection to the airport and other places in Scotland. Clean and comfortable room as you would expect in all Premier Inns. Staff were friendly. Wifi not working well as it should, as in other Premier Inns (such as the one in Dundee city centre) , but I was told they would upgrade it soon.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
HaymarketOps, Manager at Leonardo Royal Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review of our Premier Inn, I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and found our rooms to your liking,

We hope to see you again soon.

Kind Regards,