“Space to make Home”

Ranked #41 of 202 Specialty Lodging in Edinburgh
Newcastle, Australia
“Space to make Home”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

These apartments are a wonderful place to base yourself for your Edinburgh visit. With separate lounge, kitchen, bathroom and bedroom the apartment offers room to move and full cooking facilities and washing machine. Located within a 20 minute walk to Edinburgh Castle and 1/2 hour of most attractions there is no need to use your vehicle that can be parked safely in secure parking out the back. It even has a lift to make getting your luggage to your room an easy task.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Pudsey, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 23, 2013

This was one of the best experiences I have had by far when it comes to finding good value. I couldn't believe that you can get so much for so little. We stayed for one night to visit had a two bedroom with four of us. The comforts of home so if you are looking to save on food you can cook while you are there. Nothing fancy pizza in the oven, stir fry from Tesco. Great location and very friendly staff. Luggage store if you need a secure place to keep your luggage after check out while you go about your business. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
england
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I booked 3 appartments for a stag weekend for the first weekend in may ,2 app. were for 4 people,and 1 was a double.the app,s had every thing you would need,washer, fridge, cooker,dishwasher,microwave.
everyone was very pleased with the accom.the age group was 21. up to 60,so not an easy thing to do.their is a café next door if you don't want to cook breakfast,but its not very big about 15 seats,but excellent breakfast.
a 10 or 15 min .walk and you are in the grassmarket.we got a taxi to rose street cost £6 for 4.and £15 down to Leith.
I would definitely stop here again,better than a hotel,as you don't have fixed meal times

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 12, 2013

This 5 night stay combined conference (convenient for the Convention Centre) and a weekend break.

The one bed apartment was reasonably sized with standard amenities. It is a comfortable set up, reasonably well maintained with a good regular cleaning service.The kitchen is bascially equipped: I wouldn't expect to cook significantly in it though.

A safety problem with the dining chairs was reported repeatedly and surprisingly took three days to resolve. I'm pleased to say that Management acknowledged the fault and dealt with it, which was impressive.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Newcastle
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Can't fault it for the price. We stayed with two kids. The accommodation was clean and well presented. Kitchen provided all the utensils you need. Friendly staff on reception and secure off road parking. We only stayed for one night over the bank holiday weekend but would definitely return.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Weybridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Booked into the Grove apartments week ending 12th of April 2013. Booked in on the Friday and out on Sunday the 14th and we could not wait to take our children home. Friday night was peaceful but Saturday night was just a nightmare! Other guests were fighting after a drunken night from around midnight, for hours, beer bottles could be heard being thrown and broken. I had to get up and check on my kids every hour until 5am when it all went quiet. There was loud music coming out of the apartments, as if there was a party, God knows what was going on. My husband has since complained officially but one thing is for sure: never want to see that name on my booking form ever!

The rooms were comfortable but the bathroom had long hair stuck to the bath stopper and I'm glad my family only shower because there was no way I would have bathed in that environment. Shower curtain was not clean for the colour (white) and I just felt like I was getting in contact with filth whenever I walked into the bath.

The kitchen was spotless though as well as the living room, bedding was freshly-laundered but I daren't inspect the duvet inside considering what I saw in the bathroom. I did my best as a clean-loving-mum and cleaned the apartment when my family left. Maybe it was just an unfortunate weekend for us but I vividly remember waking up at 7am and saying to my family: 'Get up, shower, we need to get out of here'. Shame we had to catch a flight at 4pm.

Heating is on a timer and decided to click on around midnight so it can be unbearably hot overnight. I don't have heating overnight in my own home so this could be personal choice. All I had to do was switch off the radiators but the first night without knowing I wondered why Scotland was so hot in the night. The occupants next door must have felt likewise because they kept their window open but because it was windy in the night it kept banging, loud enough to wake us up whenever it did: every few minutes!

So the choice is yours, that was our experience.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Fountain_Court, Reception Manager at Fountain Court Apartments - Grove, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for your review of your recent stay.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the noise and disturbance that you and your family experienced. There was an incident on the Saturday evening that our Night Concierge did deal with and resulted in guests being asked to leave their apartment.

We do not accept unruly behaviour or noise and appreciate that all guests should be able to enjoy their stay. Our Night Concierge team do regular checks of all buildings.

I have passed your comments to our Housekeeping Manager with regard to the lapse in our usual high standards.

I have not received any correspondence regarding the above however would be grateful if you would contact me directly on 0131 622 2750 to discuss your experience.

Kind Regards

Stephen Kinnear
Reception Manager
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Some of our friends stayed here recently and although the apartments themselves were OK (albeit a bit on the cold side) the CUSTOMER SERVICE they and I received was SHOCKINGLY BAD, the worst I have encountered ever, but I will say that this was with the fault of the man who served us at check in, other staff there were very courteous.

Our friends were staying for three days just after moving out of their apartment and returning to their home country after finishing studies at Edinburgh uni. Everything had been paid in advance and we arrived in my car full of their luggage and tried to check in where we gave the name, showed the printed email confirmation etc but were told we could not check in until either my friend showed his credit card with which he paid or we pay £50 in cash as form of a deposit which would be returned on check out. Unfortunately his credit card was back in his old apartment where we had to return to anyway to pick up some more luggage and his heavily pregnant wife and we didn't have any cash on us so we asked if we could put the luggage in the apartment and then go and get the other luggage and family and bring the card then. Again we were refused and when I enquired why the man on check in bellowed at us "WELL HOW DO I KNOW WHO HE SAYS HE IS, HOW DO I KNOW IT WASN'T SOMEONE ELSES CARD HE PAID WITH AND THIS IS FRAUD. UNLESS I HAVE THE CARD THERE IS NO WAY OF PROVING THIS ISN'T FRAUD."

Frankly my friend and I were both shocked at this level of rudeness and he was forced to go back to his apartment to get his card to prove who he was....I am really not sure how paying £50 in cash would have helped prove it wasn't fraud but who am I to say.

Anyway, as my friend went to get his card and I stayed in reception another group were checking in with another assistant (Australian girl I think) who was the complete opposite. When a girl came in from a car to check in she kindly and courteously explained "I'm really sorry madam, but we need the card holder who booked the room to check in so would it be OK to get her to come in with her card so we can verify the details?" which is how it should have been done.

15 minutes later my friend arrived with his card and the man dealing with us forced a smile and curtly said "see, that was all I was after, everything is OK now" which didn't do anything to make the situation worse.

For the next few days my friend kept on about this treatment and asked "why did he think I was trying to commit fraud" and his wife was also very upset by the incident when she found out about it and this cast a very dark shadow over the last few days of a 9 month stay in Edinburgh.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Fountain_Court, Reception Manager at Fountain Court Apartments - Grove, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Thank you for reviewing your friend's recent stay.

Unfortunately having experienced recent use of fraudulent credit cards we do require to check the cardholder's ID and that they are in the possession of the card used for payment.

We also pre-authorise guest’s credit card or take cash deposit of £50.00 towards any telephone calls or should there be smoking in the apartments, lost keys or damage. Most hotels and serviced apartments do have similar policies and procedures. As you will appreciate these checks and the pre-authorisation are required before offering access to the apartment.

This procedure is part of our terms and conditions and is detailed in the guest confirmation.

I am sorry that you thought my colleague to be rude, after checking with him I understand that he had to ask you let him speak to the guest directly and that your colleague spoke to him on Saturday to explain that he did understand the reason for the procedures.

As you will read in previous reviews most guests find our staff to be welcoming and friendly.

Please be assured there was no intention to cause offence or dispute your friend's honesty, we require to have the procedures to prevent us incurring losses due to the use of fraudulent cards.

Kind Regards