A familiar smell greeted us, each time we opened the door and it was'nt a good one! probably due to being on the basement level and no window in the bathroom. If you stay here i would request a room upstairs. We stayed at a very busy time and the B&B was under staffed for the number of guests. Breakfast was fine if your not a big eater, we politley asked for an extra mouthfull of beans, to be told they'd run out, as had the bacon the day before! The B&B served its purpose as our trip to Edinburgh was to see the sights and the B&B is well located. But with so much accommodation to choose from I'm affraid I would'nt reccomend this establishment. A smile does go a long way but does'nt quite make up for the shortcomings at Greenside.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in an elegant tree-lined terrace, overlooking the Firth of Forth, is the Abbey Hotel (formerly Greenside Hotel). Designed by the renowned architect William Playfair as a family town house for a wealthy merchant, this is an traditional Georgian building, built in 1820, with many of fine original features still in place. ***NEWLY REFURBISHED RECEPTION & PUBLIC AREAS****PLEASE NOTE RECEPTION IS NOT OPEN 24hrs.*Latest Check-In Time is 10:30PM - Should you have an unscheduled travel delay please call the Hotel to arrange a later check-in.The hotel is ideally situated for both business and leisure guests, being a 10 minute walk from the bustling cosmopolitan heart of the City.Only 10 minutes to Princes Street and Ocean Terminal for the Royal Yacht Brittania. Close to Playhouse Theatre (5 minutes walk), Edinburgh Castle, Holyrood Palace, Princes Street (with it's famous gardens and views of Edinburgh Castle).Access to Edinburgh's International Conference Centre, the Airport and motorway networks is very convenient, and Waverley train and St Andrew Square bus station are close by. Our welcoming en-suite rooms offer the discerning traveller all the comforts expected, including Freeview Digital colour television, tea & coffee making facilities, hair dryer and telephone.****Free Wi-Fi (Internet access is available in all bedrooms), also lap-top hire if required********Snacks available within the hotel, upon request*********Local Golf can be arranged*****Most of the hotel's refurbished rooms (new soft furnishings include DUVETS on guest beds, although blankets also provided, if preferred) provide wonderful views over Royal Terrace gardens and out to the Firth of Forth, or the tranquility of our own private gardens to the rear.Edinburgh has all that the visitor could wish for. With many fine art galleries, museums and theatres, a cultural presence is never far away. History is reflected in the Royal Mile, the Palace of Holyrood House and the Castle, all contrasting with the elegant terraces of the 'new town'.As a base for touring, Edinburgh is unbeatable.There is a wide variety of local shopping facilities, including Harvey Nichols, restaurants and bars. Just a few minute's walk from the Omni Centre which boasts a Warner Village Cinema , bars, restaurants, nightclub and comedy venue. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Agoda and TripOnline SA so you can book your Abbey Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Greenside Hotel Edinburgh
- Abbey Hotel Edinburgh, Scotland