“More B & B than Hotel”

Abbey Hotel
Ranked #122 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
“More B & B than Hotel”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Myself & my partner stayed here for 2 nights at a discounted rate of £230 (on reflection this was was grossly overpriced). Advertised with free wifi - we could not access this. The room we stayed in was below ground level under the main door & foot noise was very loud. The window in the bedroom would not close so we were freezing at night time plus the room badly smelled of damp. The breakfast staff were very friendly. I would not recommend this 'hotel' or stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RalphieRoo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We spend 6 nights at Abbey Hotel in the beginning of July. The location of the hotel was very good - just few minutes walk to new town and 10-15 minutes to old town.

Hotel was obviously fully booked when we made the reservation and that's why we were given family room at the basement even there were just 2 of us. The room was quite large and there were four beds (one queen size double). Bedsheets were clean but carpets, furniture and bed covers were bit filthy looking because of old stains. The water kettle was also covered with dust. Double bed was broken somehow - matress edges were on different levels on every corner and center of the bed was lower than the rest of the bed so my back was hurting after sleeping in it. Pillows were very thin and hard. Fortunately that wasn't the only bed in the room.

Unfortunately whole room seemed to be pretty worn out and needs definitely renovation. Bathroom was clean but had nothing to hang the towels after use. Towels were clean but probably originally from 80's - worn out, washed thousands of times and very small.

Shower curtain had stains and rail was rusty. Obviously bathroom had also some kind of water damage - there were always damp and mouldy odour after shower in the room. The damp odour got worse day by day. Next to the bathroom was closet where we couldn't keep any of our belongings because of the odour.

Breakfast (full scottish or parts of it) was ok for meat eater but for vegetarian who does not eat eggs there were only toast, porridge, cereal/ muesli and canned prunes or grapefruit slices. Most of the hotels in Edinburgh seems to offer scottish/english breakfast so this was not a surprise for me as a vegetarian but this could give a competitive advantage for Abbey or some other hotel if there were some vegetables, cheese, yoghurt etc. also for vegetarians to eat.

I also felt ver uncomfortable when owner criticized employees in a breakfast room so hotel customers could hear. It's not a sign of a good leader to give feedback that way...

I hope that other guests on upper level rooms had better experience in Abbey hotel but ours was not so good that we cannot recommend this hotel. At least not the family room at the basement.

Room Tip: Do not take the family room at the basement.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank PKS01

Travelers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Stirling/Scotland
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Just decided we would go away over night, so we booked and arrived 2hours later. We know the area so we knew that parking wasn't a problem at the weekend(it's free) on royal terrace. Hotel was nice, got a warm welcome and checked in to what we thought was going to be a double room, but we got a family room, which was lovely(room11). As we were only there on an overnighter we were out most of the time. It's only 5 minutes from the playhouse and 10 minutes from Princes Street, excellent base. Breakfast was really nice, with a warm welcome when ou go in, anything you wanted was not any trouble to the lovely staff. We would stay again,good rates,good food and a friendly welcome and comfy beds, what more do you need. Many thanks to the staff at the Abbey Hotel. X

Room Tip: We were in room 11 which is at the front of the hotel and on the second floor the stair are a long h...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Abbey for 2 nights in June, had a room on the 2nd floor which overlooked the gardens. It contained 2 singles which were very comfortable and a smart bathroom with an excellent shower. Breakfast was plentiful and very nice, with a porridge and full Scotish breakfast as standard. It's about a 15min good stroll to the Royal Mile and you will get a decent work out. Only cricitism is noise travels from the downstairs, especilly when you get early check outs and breakfast eaters, so if you're prone to a lie-in, you might be dissaponted, otherwise most excellent.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Thewearytraveller83
cardiff
Reviewed March 11, 2013

we stayed here for two nights for the six nations match.

I had single room in attic, nice views room was clean , no complaints.
breakfast was continental but not that good.
ok though and would stay again

• Stayed March 2013
Enniskillen, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I spent couple days discovering exciting Edinbugh which is definately a "must see". My room was clean(a little bit small) and very quite assuring good sleep,lovely room. quiet room with good shower, two comfy beds, comfortable room temperature. Breakfast, both scottish or continental, were server in an nice lounge. Pleasant and helpful staff, I was provided with bus information and given maps etc as to how to travel into the city but it only took a lovely walk and I was soon in the heart of the citys old town,l.The only thing I would say and not really a dislike was my day on Thursday.Someone woke me up in the morning because of hoovering(it was around 8 o'clock)after that some guy called me and asked me about coming for the breakfast,I was suprised,I wanted sleep and didn't expect those things,finally I woke up and went for the breakfast, I didn't even find my place to sit and the rude guy from reception forced me to decide asap what I want to eat and drink.I didn,t see that guy before maybe he was in training but he was not good at all.After I got my breakfast I wanted drink more juice but young girl took those juices out because that guy told her to do it. I was not only the one guest in lounge who was not happy about that but that guy didn't care at all.I will be back but only if Debra or Paul are gonna be there because the customer service is great then!!Would certainly choose to stay at Abbey Hotel again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Bathgate, West Lothian
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I booked this hotel as had tickets to a show at the Playhouse and wanted to make a weekend of my time in Edinburgh. The hotel is approx 10-15 minutes walk from the Waverley Train Station and about 5 minutes walk from the Playhouse and places to eat.

The hotel is a lovely building, in a nice quiet street. The reception/ breakfast area is clean and tidy. And the staff were lovely and friendly. The room we were in (15) was nice and comfortable enough but a little dated, with a big damp patch on the ceiling, this being said, I would still stay again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends