“very good quality/price ratio”
Review of Claremont Hotel

Claremont Hotel
Ranked #135 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
Milan, Italy
“very good quality/price ratio”
Reviewed August 20, 2011

I spent two nights here with my boyfriend, while having a tour of Scotland. This hotel is located in a quiet and residential area, 20 min walk from downtown. Our room was really large and overall nice even if the fornitures were a bit outdated. The staff was friendly and helpful. Breakfast was ok. It is a great value for the money, especially if compared to the rates of other hotesl in Edimburgh. I would definitely recommend this hotel for the good quality/price ratio.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Raganella78

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
northwest
Reviewed September 2, 2010

Stayed here for the Fringe festival for 3 nights during bank hoiday weekend. Hotel is a good value clean basic place to stay. Prices were inflated for festival period, but this happens all over Edinburgh. Rooms are bright,quite spacious and breakfast is very good, a great selection with attentive serving staff. Car park at the back, which is an added bonus as parking in the city at this time of year is difficult. About a 20 minute uphill walk to the Royal Mile. Best to get no 8 bus there and walk back Hotel is in a nice quiet area of the "new " town, which is Georgian architecture. We found Edinburgh to be a great city with loads of good pubs/bars and great places to eat. and fantastic history and cultural sites.
My only 2 gripes withthis hotel were 1- it was really cold one night and there was no heating on in the bathroom or any heater in the room? 2- the sliding bathroom door was broken, and wouldnt close. Didnt really bother us, but think it might bother some people. But I would definitely recommend to others.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sophieo
Lyon, France
Reviewed August 29, 2010

Relatively close to the city centre, 15 min walk to Princes Street and Waverley station. Very quiet as located in a residential area. Good price as compared to other hotels in Edinburgh, great value for the money. Rooms were large and comfortable even though a bit outdated ; we are a family of 6, we were given a family room for 4 and a double, at the same floor next door. Good Breakfast, free Internet available, very serviceable staff. We really enjoyed our stay and we would definitely recommend this hotel for those who are looking for a good quality / price ratio.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank BrunoFR69
Edinburgh
Reviewed July 12, 2010

I didn't actually want to stay there, but book the private function room. After various phone calls we were told that the room was available for the date we needed. My son then went down to pay the deposit and the manager showed him the function room. The day after me and my fiance went down to pay it then the man ( who was extremely arrogant ) that does the function rooms told us under no circumstances could we have it because it was already booked and had been for a while. There was no appology from him and he treated us like idiots. Whilst I was trying to get an explanation from him he then walked away to phone a taxi company for another guest. I asked him to get the manager to call me but I ended up having to phone them back, when I did I got the same bloke who then went on say the manager has been to busy to phone me back with an explanation. as I was talking to him I heard him chatting to someone else and not paying any attention to anything I was saying.
If that's how they deal with potential customers then I'm surprised they're still in business. I do NOT recommend this place for anyone.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TJMEdinburgh
Singapore
Reviewed June 21, 2010

We stayed here for 1 night. The owner was extremely friendly and the location was peaceful, and easy to reach the centre by car. We booked for 4 people but we were given a room with 5 beds. It was huge, even if a little old. For the price of around 80 pounds for 3 adults and a child, it was reasonable in a big city like Edinburgh. Beds were comfortable, even if a bit too soft. The shower was good and the room was clean.

There's free parking as well.

Breakfast was a typical English breakfast but we found it a bit weird that the people beside us seemed to have more on their plate than us. (They had bacon, sausages and baked beans whereas we only had a few pieces of bacon.)

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank FireRoad
london
Reviewed May 2, 2010

Edinburgh wasn't amazing as i expected . City is full of hills:) People are not so friendly .And its not one of the trip that leaves you great memories. Of course thats my opinion.Their local pubs and famous Whisky is great . Also night life was quite boring. We been at 2 different night clubs and it was very boring and quiet.Hotel was ok . It wasnt great . Not far from city centre.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank deniz-uk
Grampian
Reviewed November 6, 2009

Stayed in the hotel for 2 nights 3 days in Oct. Was given Room 18, which is a large room with 1 double bed and 3 single bed. Located in a row of houses, so this is a B&B type accommodation and not really a hotel.
Room is pretty simple with small shower/toilet. Generally the place is clean and well maintained. Key issue is the mattresses are uncomfortable and needs replacement. I had to move to sleep to a different bed to adjust myself but we’re lucky to have few beds. I would expect any hotel to have good bed to rest. Also the walls and floor carpets are worn off and needs some refurbishment.
Breakfast is served in the basement, large area and well kept. Full breakfast is served and the portion is reasonable. Continental breakfast basics are available in the buffet if you can stuff more in stomach. So food was fine.Location is fine, quiet area, catch bus no 8 and few mins walk. Walk to town about 20mins. Tesco nearby.
This is a simple, clean and cheap place to stay but no frills. Staffs are polite and attentive. There is nothing else to do in this place other than to sleep. I would stay somewhere for the same price £60/day.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business