“Good value delicious meal” 5 of 5 bubbles

Villager
Ranked #566 of 2,437 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Bar, Pub, British, Scottish
Good for: Large groups, Dining on a budget, Bar scene
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Old Town
Description: The Villager has been recommended several times on the Ediburgh forum it is a great place for food and drinks. I did visit it during my last visit to Edinburgh and really want to add my review.
Torphichen, null, United Kingdom
“Good value delicious meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

We happened on the Villager by chance looking for somewhere for a late lunch/early tea. The bar staff were friendly, the food was good quality and generous portions and we were introduced to Blue Moon - a very nice craft beer served with a slice of orange.

• Visited September 2013

Livingston, United Kingdom
“Not too bad as Villagers go.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

I first stumbled across The Villager in early August during the festival. I was there with my ex gf(The management of The Villager wish it be known that there is no proven link between their establishment and my break up) and we lost a sunny friday afternoon working our way through their cocktail menu. At approximately £6.50 a cocktail the value is fanrastic, The Siberian Mist could solve all the current problems in Syria if it were to distributed amongst those pesky middle easterners! So enamoured were we by what the Villager had to offer we returned the following day for lunch between a pair of Irish plays at The Traverse. Food was excellent and very good value.

I returned recently on a date but this time the plan was to have a few drinks and a bite to eat and then catch the last train home. Arriving just before 5pm, we started off with the only real choice.Two SB's please barkeep!
Three or four cocktails later we ordered food, again this was exceptional quality, although I have to say the risotto serving my date had was a very skinny portion. Had I of ordered it I would have been gutted! I went for chicken and chorizo salad that was both tasty and substantial. We washed this down with three bottles of Rose and coffees. The bill did not break £140, great value in my opinion.
At night there is cool music and a warm and friendly atmosphere. A perfect place to chill and spend an evening. Only low point my dates insistence to start crying I told her I did not believe in life after death! V strange girl. We eventually left at 2am and a thoroughly enjoyable time was had. No last train was made, however the £40 taxi fare was split with crying girl contributing £30. Result!!:-)

• Visited September 2013
Edinburgh
“Pre-festival Lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

It was before a performance show during the Edinburgh festival time and we were looking for somewhere near the grassmarket for some drinks and food. I knew about this place before hand and have been in before for the odd drink but with mates. This particular occasion was with the girlfriend and although the customer service was quite good the waitress was a bit stone faced and looked constantly depressed.

That aside the food(cheeseburger with bacon) and pint of peroni was close to the best I have had in Edinburgh. The atmosphere was great that day with the festival on but even without that it is usually busy anyway.

Its quite a dark bar/pub but it definitely suits the place! Price wise- pretty reasonable, and definitely worth it for the quality of the food, drink and the location.

8.5 out of 10

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“You may be asked to move”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

Used to be good for post work drinks, casual dinners and pre dancing cocktails but starting to look a bit shabby and not in a good way. No excuse for bad service though - after having dinner and settling down to a nice glass of wine and good conversation we were asked quite rudely to move to make way for a bigger party (no reservation). It was the most attention the waitress had paid to us all night. You've obviously made your money during the festivals to treat your customers that way, but as locals we won't be going back.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank C S
Fife, Scotland
“Fine for a quick bite to eat.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

We ate here with friends before we went to see a fringe show. The good was average. I did expect a bit more flavour in my seafood pasta as it was quite bland. The burger was dry as the bun was toasted and the panna cotta did not taste of coconut as it should have and I think it had been sitting on a hot plate too long as it was warm when I received it. Don't think I will be back.