“Mad Hatter's Tea Party - 'Curiouser and curiouser'.”
Review of Broadsheet Bistro

Broadsheet Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Broadsheet Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,854 of 2,566 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Scottish, Gastropub
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Town
Description: The Broadsheet Bistro came under new management in July 2013. We have introduced a locally sourced menu freshly prepared on the premises. We also have a private dining area suitable for up to thirty guests with fantastic views of Edinburgh Castle and Princes Street Gardens. We are located five minutes from Waverly train station and just off the Royal Mile
Reviewed February 9, 2014

I was impressed with the restaurant initially. The decor, location and service were beautiful but this experience quickly turned sour.

I bought the tea party package as a discounted voucher via Amazon Local as a treat for my girlfriend who is a massive Alice fan. We tried searching both Amazon, the Bistro's and Tripadvisor's website but couldn't find any trace of a sample menu. This didn't seem to matter at the time because the theme promised to be so fantastic.

When we arrived the table was already set, albeit garishly with haphazard hand painted crockery (like you would expect in a nursery). We were seated intimately close to other diners, despite the rest of the restaurant being empty. The menu we were presented with still didn't give much information regarding the food - "magic mushrooms", were actually scotch eggs.

There could have been some nice touches but unfortunately the waitress added food dye to our Prosecco in plain sight, ruining the quirky coloured effect. We did get offered a selection of teas to smell which were lovely, but they weren't labelled so we didn't know what to ask for. The server also seemed to get a bit confused when we pointed to our choice. Again, the server went behind a curtain and pulled the teabag from a massive cardboard box, which was a bit off-putting.

The 'tea party' selection came out fairly quickly, on a tiered platter. The selection of sandwiches were actually 4 small triangles of white bread with pretty basic fillings. There was 1 oatcake with with pate each and half a scotch egg. The half scone already had jam and 'funky' cream (cream with food dye) added to it, instead of being served separately as you would expect for afternoon tea. There were only 2 cakes, which was either a salted chocolate square (awful) or pecan cupcake that looked like it had been bought from the local Tesco. We had a pot of orange coloured jelly that was overpowered by a strange aniseed taste. The only redeeming factor, were the espresso cups filled with fruit smoothie to which you could add a side of popping candy. Unfortunately, as we had not seen the menu beforehand, my girlfriend struggled to eat the majority of food. Although this was due to preference and not dietary requirements, we probably wouldn't have purchased the deal if the site had stipulated the food selection.

Half way through, I noticed the paint from the cup had transferred to my fingers so decided to pull the Manager to one side to express my disappointment. His reaction was one of defence and was quite hostile, stating 'I wasn't holding the cup properly'. Very quickly, an offer of partial refund was made but I didn't feel like he was listening to the points I was raising (all of the above). I wanted to give the restaurant a chance to redeem themselves rather than writing this review, but his reaction caused my girlfriend to feel uncomfortable as the confrontation was noticed by other diners despite trying to make the 'discussion' as discreet as possible.

Overall, this seemed like a very tacky/gimmicky ploy to get customers into an otherwise empty restaurant. I would also like to add, that Amazon Local states that the regular price of the Mad Hatter's Tea Party is £100, although on arrival we noticed it was advertised on the restaurant window as £49 for 2 people. So what I initially thought was a saving of £61, was actually a mere £10.

*Please note, this review is solely for the Mad Hatter's Tea Party experience.

1  Thank almcd412
Caroline B, Manager at Broadsheet Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing to come to the Broadsheet Bistro for your Mad Hatter experience.

I deeply apologise for the service and the quality of the food you received during your experience. Please accept my sincere apologies and please be assured that I have spoken with the team on duty yesterday.

Since launching the Mad Hatters Tea Party we have had amazing feedback from our customers and I am disappointed you did not receive the same care and attention as our previous customers have had.

If you would like to contact me direct please email broadsheet.bistro@frasershospitality.com

Reviewed January 20, 2014

Attended the MAD HATTERS TEA PARTY and what can I say amazing. They have thought of everything, friendly and helpful throughout and the most fun I have had eating for a long time. A must attend for anyone and the location is fantastic too

2  Thank clarkedale

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your kind feedback with regards to the Broadsheet Bistro

We hope to welcome you again soon

Reviewed January 20, 2014

Breakfast here for 2 adults and a child came to £40.00 but did not come close to what you might expect for that price.

1  Thank Pietros_Puckerino

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your comment about the Broadsheet Bistro and for your comments about breakfast.

I am sorry you feel that we were too expensive for breakfast however, we offer a full continental and cooked breakfast with unlimited tea and coffee for £9.95. We are competitively priced with the local businesses.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

We called in at about 2pm so after normal lunch service time but the waitress was very friendly and helpful. We were later than usual because my daughter had given birth 14 days ago and it was her first trip out with baby. The food was good, fresh and tasty. The service very friendly.
Toilets were very clean but not big enough to change baby's nappy. Its a young type of place so surprised at that. Other late lunchers were smart, casual young people.

1  Thank femmedemenage
Caroline B, General Manager at Broadsheet Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2014

Dear Customer

Thank you for your kind review about the Broadsheet Bistro.
We look forward to welcoming you back

Reviewed November 14, 2013

Had dinner here with friends last week and found it to be a thoroughly enjoyable experience. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff and the food was very tasty.

Great location just off the Royal Mile and on the way to Princess Street.

Would have no hesitations in recommending it to anyone looking for a leisurely bite to eat on an evening!

Caroline B, General Manager at Broadsheet Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2013

Dear Traveller

Thank you for your kind review about the Broadsheet Bistro.

I have passed your comments on to my team on duty that evening and look forward to welcoming you back to the Broadsheet Bistro again.